Auto-draft question - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Auto-draft question

Moderator: Football Moderators

Auto-draft question

Postby Camalus » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:54 pm

Hey all, I'm new to FF and have a question about auto-draft rankings. (yahoo to be more specific)
I plan on using the first 15-20 spots to list RBs, to make sure I get a couple decent ones, then continue to list other players by value. It's my understanding that Yahoo auto-draft will only draft the number of RBs needed as starters (which is 2) and then skip to the next available player for a different position on my list. Is this true? For a 10 team league, Is there a reason why I shouldn't list 20 RBs before I list a valuable WR or QB?
Please let me know if I'm looking at this the wrong way. Any tips are welcomed. Thanks :-)
Camalus
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Auto-draft question

Postby Camalus » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:36 pm

Would it help if I mentioned I'm a girl? :-b
Camalus

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:33 am

Been a long time since I did autodrafts but i used to do them all the time. Yeh, Yahoo will fill your starting slots before doing bench positions so in theory you could put 30 RB's first and you'll only get RB's with your first 2 picks and it won't come back to the top of your list again until the other slots are filled. I used to have different formulas worked out that worked pretty good but I can't remember any of them it's been so long.
What you might want to do before you draft in your league is to draft in a public league for practice to see how it turns out - just don't abandon your team after ya draft, stay active.
The biggest drawback to an autodraft is you can end up with 2 TE's, 2 K's, and 2 D's (sometimes ya just end up with doubles in two of these), so you're gonna wanna get rid of the doubles and pickup good backup RB's and WR's right after the draft as there will be good ones left - if you're not sure who to grab, the Cafe is the place to ask.
Any other questions, ask away! ;-D
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Camalus » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:26 pm

Thanks for the reply, Rob, I was hoping I understood it correctly. Oh, and there's no way I'd abandon my team after the draft. I think building up the team after a crappy draft would just make it that much more fun. Thanks again.
Camalus

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:52 am

One more thing I should have mentioned. Normally to pick players up off waivers, you have to pick who you are dropping for who you want to pick up. For example you would drop a TE (by Name) for Player A, a Def for Player B, and a K for Player C. But the problem with an autodraft is that everyone is going to be trying to upgrade from the waiver wire when the draft is over, so you never know which of your transactions will be successful - some owners try to overcome this by coming up with all kinds of permutations of waiver requests - say for example you are first in the waiver order so you know you will get Player A (and lose your TE). But you don't know if you will fortunate enough to get Player B, so you also put in a request to drop Def for Player X in case you don't get Player B, and another request to drop your Def for Player Y, etc and the same with your K, ad infinitum.

But the main reason you normally put a player on waivers is that you hope to pick up a better player and if you're not successful, you still keep your player. But that doesn't apply in this situation, because there are going to be enough quality and/or good sleeper WR's & RB's on the waiver wire that you will find some gems to pick up that are better than carrying extra TE's, K's and D's - so rather than try and come up with all the possible combinations of add/drops that so many owners do - simply drop your extra TE, K. and D now before putting in your waiver requests - you now have 3 empty slots on your roster and it's much simpler now to make out a list of all those players you would like to aquire on waivers in the order you would like to aquire them and Yahoo will just go down your list throughout the waiver process each round as your turn comes up.

And don't delay as the players are only on waivers for 2 days!!!
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:56 am

Camalus wrote:Thanks for the reply, Rob, I was hoping I understood it correctly. Oh, and there's no way I'd abandon my team after the draft. I think building up the team after a crappy draft would just make it that much more fun. Thanks again.

No, I didn't think you would abandon the team you were inquiring about - I just meant if you tried drafting another team first for practice, not to abandon that one.
stomperrob

Postby Camalus » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:43 am

stomperrob wrote:No, I didn't think you would abandon the team you were inquiring about - I just meant if you tried drafting another team first for practice, not to abandon that one.

Ahh...I see. I'll just win that league too ;)
Thanks for the tip on the waivers, I can see this turning into a very addicting hobby.
Camalus

Postby Plindsey88 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:10 pm

Camalus wrote:Would it help if I mentioned I'm a girl? :-b

LOL.... That's awesome.... Welcome aboard.... ;-D

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Beginner's Forum