Yahoo article about Wide Receivers - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Yahoo article about Wide Receivers

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Yahoo article about Wide Receivers

Postby The Lung » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:37 pm

Timbathia wrote:Thats funny - and here I thought that I too could talk smack in the cafe about journalists, players and coaches without any fear of repercussion.

Hehe, I wouldn't worry about players and coaches but obviously journalists are an issue to worry about now. This is actually the second confirmed fantasy illuminati we've had here at the Cafe - Matthew Perry aka The Talented Mr. Roto was on here in June of 2006 to defend his picks in a Sporting News mock draft. He took Thomas Jones at 1.11, Tatum Bell at 2.02, and Deuce McAllister at 3.11 as his first three picks. At the time, these were highly questionable picks because they were a bit of a reach and it wasn't known back then what their contribution in the RBBC for each team would have been. In retrospect, these were decent picks although still somewhat of a reach.

Since the Yahoo guys are watching we might want to cool it with the Funston bashing, although it's been a long while since the "Funstonesque" label has been bandied about. :-D I still reserve the right to lampoon any and all "expert advice" offered by Roger Rotter or Michael Fabiano, though. :-b
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bagobonez » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:58 pm

This article just confirms the thoughts I've already had. After doing a few mocks, I've realized I always like my teams better when i go RB-RB-WR-WR and not RB-WR-WR-RB or RB-WR-RB-WR. There are plenty of good WR's to be had in rounds 3 and 4.

But it does seem like WR's have been de-emphasized as of late. I remember when Randy Moss had a 1,600 yard, 17 TD season, Harrison had seasons of 1,400, 1,500, 1,600 and 1,700 yards and now suddenly Chad Johnson's 1,369 yards are good enough to lead the league. And only 2 WR's had more than 10 TD's last year. What happened to the uber-stud WR's?
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Juke » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:11 pm

The Lung wrote:Author Brad Evans makes some very valid points about WRs drafted rounds later averaging a miniscule 2.5 points-per-game shy of the top WRs.

http://fantasysports.yahoo.com/analysis/news?slug=be-posprimer07-wr&prov=yhoo&type=lgns&league=fantasy/nfl

Thanks for posting. Enjoyed it.
Juke
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby moose_ffc » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:01 pm

I had already read this one, but it is a good idea to point to it. It was a fun read. I am just soaking it all in this time of year. ;-D
"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."
moose_ffc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 3)

Postby BigNoise » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:56 pm

knapplc wrote:Welcome to the Cafe! :-)

I liked the article, but I wanted to ask - did you look at years past for your stats or just last year? Because it seems to me (without doing any research on this) that 2006 was an unusual year for WR in that there was not this huge disparity, and more than one guy came out of the pack to challenge the "top tier" guys for overall points. My recollection is that usually you can count on one or two guys coming out of the pack, not several. Kevin Curtis a couple of years ago and Brandon Stokley a year before that are the two that most easily come to mind.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Actually, Matt Buser and I are regular Cafe readers and post occasionally on the baseball site. Since Yahoo! doesn't have a functional forum for its audience the Cafe is a tremendous aid for writers like me to generate ideas and interact with readers. Many of the pressing questions you guys have about draft theories or individual players are useful in gaining insight - aside from my own observations - for potential topics.

If you guys are familiar with my "Bringin' the Noise" series I always try to include reader toungue lashings whenever possible. I really relish them. As long as you're getting something out of the column, that is what is most important to me. So please, by all means, call me a douchebag or Rogaine-needing dunderhead. Hell, I don't care. Being in this business professionally for over three years, I've developed a layer of blubber thicker than Tony Siragusa's to repell insulting comments.

Knapplc, to answer your question, the reasearch I conducted for the WR Primer was solely based on last year's numbers. However, a quick peek at the numbers over the last three years does yield a wider disparity between the tiers. In '05 the PPG distance between Steve Smith, the number one ranked receiver, and Donald Driver, the last player in the 150-total point tier, was 4.8 PPG. In '04, the difference was 5.4 PPG.

This season, a healthy Steve Smith will likely increase the PPG gap over whoever finishes second - probably Chad Johnson. But, overall, I believe the tier-to-tier dropoff for receivers outside of Smith ranked in the top-15 will be relatively insignificant. That's why I emphasized the RB-RB-WR strategy this season, unless you're in a PPR league.
BigNoise
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mattb47 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:11 pm

I'd have to agree about being able to grab solid WRs later and not missing out on too too much. Really, this is something I've almost always been an advocate of. In one league this year (dynasty league), I actually ended up going 4 RBs to start a draft and while I thought my WRs would be absolutely terrible, I so far have ended up with Darrell Jackson, Hines Ward, Joey Galloway, and Kevin Curtis as my WRs. And while they may not be the youngest WRs out there, I feel they're pretty darn solid. I'm far from advocating going 4 RBs to start a draft, but it's just an example of how you can still very much be OK if you even go RB/RB/RB to start a draft. You may not end up with any of the "top tier" guys but you'll have excellent RB depth and still have solid receivers.

I doubt there will be a league I'm in this year where I don't go at the very least RB/RB/WR and if we can start 3 RBs then I'll almost always go 3 RBs unless there is really no one left in the 3rd. I mean in most drafts this year you have guys like Hines Ward, Laveraneus Coles, Darrell Jackson, Santana Moss, Randy Moss, Plaxico Burress, Reggie Brown and Lee Evans going in the 4th or 5th rounds and guys like Joey Galloway, Deion Branch, Braylon Edwards, Vincent Jackson, Mark Clayton, Chris Chambers and the like going even later than that. I think the value is truly there later in drafts at WR much more than people think if they go RB heavy to start.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby RJ24VC15 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:28 pm

I'd love to get in a league with people that share that Calvin Johnson projection with this guy.
RJ24VC15
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer

Postby BigNoise » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:54 pm

RJ24VC15 wrote:I'd love to get in a league with people that share that Calvin Johnson projection with this guy.

Actually you can. The Y! Sportsblog will pass around the signup sheet soon for the second annual "Silence the Noise" fantasy football league. If I recall a handful of members from the Cafe participated last year and guess who wound up on top ---> this guy <---. Thank you Ron "Big Daddy" Dayne!

Normally, I avoid rookie WRs like the bubonic plague, but Johnson is a once-in-a-decade talent in a pass-happy system who will thirve, as long as he's mentally strong enough to carry the entire city of Detroit - and Matt Millen - on his shoulders.

You can find the link for the league info below. Details will be posted soon.

Bring the Noise Cafers!

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/ysportsblog;_ ... ts1aA5nYcB
BigNoise
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby aaawall91 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:02 pm

FYI- Sister Christan is about one of the band member's sister named Christen...I believe...not sure why I know that :-?

Okay...time to read the article

okay, read it, good stuff, funny because...
trying to interpret wide receiver draft perplexities is just as confusing as fingering the meaning of the Night Ranger classic.

I understand both of them, (and apply the wide receiver part) without even knowing why I know it. :-D
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:16 pm

So Noise, you didn't go into much detail in your article about the Henderson/Meachem situation in N.O. How do you see this playing out?

Oh and I'm a very loyal reader. The pop culture references and player nicknames have to be useful as mnemonic devices, if nothing else.
CBMGreatOne
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 10)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk