Yahoo article about Wide Receivers - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Yahoo article about Wide Receivers

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Yahoo article about Wide Receivers

Postby Kilroy » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:54 am

Great, thanks to all these Night Ranger references "Don't Tell Me You Love Me" is now bouncing around in my skull.

Make It Stop. :~(

:-b

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Axl's Army » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:48 am

Wonderful, excellent, superb writing style. The style you write with is my favorite to write with as well. It's entertaining & it's what sold me on picking up the Fan Ball Fantasy Guide this year @ the news stand. I had no intentions of buying old information that I know already by reading articles & analysis in the Cafe, but those guys are really funny.

Yo Mama is so fat . . .
Axl's Army
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Plindsey88 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:27 am

BigNoise wrote:... as long as he's ... strong enough to carry ... Matt Millen ... on his shoulders.

Is anyone truly strong enough to pull that off?

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BigNoise » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:41 am

CBMGreatOne wrote:So Noise, you didn't go into much detail in your article about the Henderson/Meachem situation in N.O. How do you see this playing out?

Oh and I'm a very loyal reader. The pop culture references and player nicknames have to be useful as mnemonic devices, if nothing else.

I'm convinced that if Meachem can return to camp on time and prove to the Saints staff that his knee is at full-strength he has an excellent shot at breaking camp as the No. 2 opposite Colston. To me, Henderson operates best out of the slot. He's lightinging quick downfield and can outrace just about any CB in the league, but he isn't a sharp route runner and doesn't possess natural hands or size (5-foot-11).

Henderson's weaknesses are Meachem's strengths. Physically, Meachem has the size, strength and YAC burst to be a prime target for Drew Brees. However, like Henderson, he does suffer from lapses in concentration and his route running ability is far from stellar. Scouts have compared him to a raw Anquan Boldin and if that doesn't sound appealing than Giselle Bundchen isn't shaggable.

Time will tell, but by mid-season I think Meachem will be a fairly consistent WR3 in deeper formats and a solid bench asset in shallow 12-team leagues. If I was looking for an upside receiver in the midnight hour of my draft, Meachem would be a superb choice based on his physical talents and given the explosive nature of the Saints offense.
BigNoise
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TN_Titans_05 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:36 am

I think that is a very solid assessment of Meachem. As a UT alum, I watched him play every game in college and most of Hendersons games at LSU as well.

Physically, Meachem has the size, strength and YAC burst to be a prime target for Drew Brees. However, like Henderson he does suffer from lapses in concentration and his route running ability is far from stellar. Scouts have compared him to a raw Anquan Boldin and if that doesn't sound appealing Giselle Bundchen isn't shaggable

I think his YAC is the most important factor with Meach. Comparing him to Boldin is right on, because he is great when he can catch the ball behind or right at the line he has the ability to make the first guy miss with what he calls his "Quick Turn" move. Almost has a bit of Steve Smith in him too in that respect(Not saying he will ever be that good!). He has great hands and speed as evidenced at the combine. While I agree his route running isnt as crisp as it should be, it isnt so unpolished that he cannot produce in the NFL right away.

Anyway....nice job with the article! ;-D

C-H-A-M-P-I-O-N-S-H-I-P
TN_Titans_05
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:35 pm

I'll agree with the article, I think 3rd round is the right time to buy WRs.

Not because of the WRs though, there are just less RBs I'd be satisfied with as a RB#2 this year. Why want to draft Marion Barber in the 3rd round when you can get Travis Henry in the 2nd? No big value near the end of round 3/beginning round 4 that I wanna drop picks on RBs. AT WR you may get lucky and snag a Terrell Owens, and there is a good chance you can get Roy Williams or Reggie Wayne type guys in the 3rd.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Previous

Return to Football Talk