Some Encouraging News About Teens - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Some Encouraging News About Teens

Moderator: Football Moderators

Some Encouraging News About Teens

Postby knapplc » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:59 am

The Kids are gonna be all right, it seems. Less unprotected sex, fewer children born to children, more High School graduates, etc.

Report finds fewer teens having intercourse, more using condoms

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Fewer high school students are having sex these days, and more are using condoms. The teen birth rate has hit a record low.

In 2005, 47 percent of high school students reported having sexual intercourse, down from 54 percent in 1991.

More young people are finishing high school, too, and more little kids are being read to, according to the latest government snapshot on the well-being of the nation's children. It's good news on a number of key wellness indicators, experts said of the report being released Friday.

"The implications for the population are quite positive in terms of their health and their well-being," said Edward Sondik, director of the National Center for Health Statistics. "The lower figure on teens having sex means the risk of sexually transmitted diseases is lower."

In 2005, 47 percent of high school students -- 6.7 million -- reported having had sexual intercourse, down from 54 percent in 1991. The rate of those who reported having had sex has remained the same since 2003.

Of those who had sex during a three-month period in 2005, 63 percent -- about 9 million -- used condoms. That's up from 46 percent in 1991.

The teen birth rate, the report said, was 21 per 1,000 young women ages 15-17 in 2005 -- an all-time low. It was down from 39 births per 1,000 teens in 1991.

"This is very good news," said Sondik. "Young teen mothers and their babies are at a greater risk of both immediate and long-term difficulties."

The birth rate in the 15-19 age group was 40 per 1,000 in 2005, also down sharply from the previous decade.

Education campaigns that started years ago are having a significant effect, said James Wagoner, president of Advocates for Youth, a Washington-based nonprofit group that focuses on prevention of teen pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases.

"I think the HIV/AIDS epidemic and the efforts in the '80s and '90s had a lot to do with that," Wagoner said of the improved numbers on teen sex, condoms and adolescent births.

"We need to encourage young teens to delay sexual initiation and we need to make sure they get all the information they need about condoms and birth control," he said.

The report was compiled from statistics and studies at 22 federal agencies, and covered 38 key indicators, including infant mortality, academic achievement rates and the number of children living in poverty.

Other highlights:

• The percentage of children covered by health insurance decreased slightly. In 2005, 89 percent of children had health insurance coverage at some point during the year, down from 90 percent the previous year.

• The percentage of low birthweight infants (born weighing less than 5 pounds, 8 ounces) increased. It was 8.2 percent in 2005, up from 8.1 percent in 2004.

• More youngsters are getting reading time. Sixty percent of children ages 3-5 (and not in kindergarten) were read to daily by a family member in 2005, up from 53 percent in 1993.

• The percentage of children who had at least one parent working year round and full-time increased to 78.3 percent in 2005, up from 77.6 percent the previous year.

• More young people are completing high school. In 2005, 88 percent of young adults had finished high school -- up from 84 percent in 1980.

The report was released by the Federal Interagency Forum on Child and Family Statistics -- a consortium of federal agencies that includes the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, the Census Bureau and the Administration for Children and Families.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Some Encouraging News About Teens

Postby Madison » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:27 am

I wouldn't go so far as to say they're going to be alright, but it's some nice baby steps (other than the birth rate, that was a large step) in the right direction. ;-D

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guru13 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:03 am

yes, it's somewhat encouraging, but as a teenager, it's just sorta wierd, IMO 47% is far too high, I mean I know some people are just gonna do what they want no matter what people say, but almost half of teenagers? that's just crazy, atleast IMHO.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:58 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:yes, it's somewhat encouraging, but as a teenager, it's just sorta wierd, IMO 47% is far too high, I mean I know some people are just gonna do what they want no matter what people say, but almost half of teenagers? that's just crazy, atleast IMHO.

i'd actuallty think it'd be much higher, at least where i came from...maybe there's more nerds than i thought who werent getting any trim.

In all honesty though, i think most teens are just too busy getting it on to partake in this survey
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby beanoX3 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:29 pm

Condom use going up is a bit mis-leading IMO. I remember when I was in high school, you needed to be 18 to buy condoms where I lived, so it was tough for us to get them. Now, schools hand them out like candy all year. So I wouldn't say that kids are getting smarter by using them more, only that they have much easier access to condoms so they'd be stupid not to use them.
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Indys_time » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:41 pm

dang straight, better save it till marriage, IMO. IDk about those stats though, I think a lot of kids in my school have done it more than that, and anyway there are like 6 pregnant girls, more than any other year, so IDK, but it seems better. ;-D
Thanks to Joelamosobadiah for another great sig
Indys_time
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby jayday » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:01 pm

Don't be silly. Wrap that willy.
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby mystykoekaki » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:09 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:yes, it's somewhat encouraging, but as a teenager, it's just sorta wierd, IMO 47% is far too high, I mean I know some people are just gonna do what they want no matter what people say, but almost half of teenagers? that's just crazy, atleast IMHO.

+1 ....very odd if you think about it.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby moonhead » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:31 pm

this isn't encouraging at all. who is going to wash my car and hand me burgers at the drive thru if we don't continue to have an abundance of high school pregnancies!!!!! :^

yeh, whatever. just put a jimmy hat on.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:30 pm

moonhead wrote:this isn't encouraging at all. who is going to wash my car and hand me burgers at the drive thru if we don't continue to have an abundance of high school pregnancies!!!!! :^

yeh, whatever. just put a jimmy hat on.

not only that, think of the impact on the sports community...i'm sure alot of kids play sports to score with cheerleaders...if they arent scoring there's no reason for them to play sports and they will turn to a life of drugs and crime
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk