teammates? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

teammates?

Moderator: Football Moderators

teammates?

Postby 011472 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:31 pm

I'm keeping Carson Palmer and considering making a trade offer that could bring me Rudi. What's the consensus around here on having the qb and rb from the same team?

Another possibility is ending up after the auction with Fitzgerald and Boldin. How do you feel about that combination?
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: teammates?

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:56 pm

I would personally say go where the value is. The one problem is that if you have Rudi and Carson or if you have Boldin and Fitz, you are in some trouble when that team's bye week comes around. I've had McNabb and Westy both on my team a couple of times though, and it has been pretty successful.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby maddog60 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:59 pm

Teammates are a minor concern to me but QB/RB and WR1/WR2 combos are ones I do try to avoid. Generally its hard even when you've got a great combo to have both Wr1 and WR2 on a team get 100 yards receiving. It's just hard because teams will find the guy to exploit in the secondary, or the WR getting 100 yards is likely having a great day, or just the uncovered one, so he gets more throws. Of course, you could argue that this is playing it safe. You know Manning will have a good game at worst, so if you could get Harrison and Wayne at least one should go for 100+ yards. Also, running heavy days are typically not great fantasy days for QBs, so QB/RB is counterproductive in that regard.

Of course I wouldn't forgo a Harrison/Wayne combo to have a Harrison/Plaxico combo, but on equal players I'll try not putting all my eggs in one basket.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby jayday » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:43 pm

I try to avoid the WR1 and WR2 from the same team, but other than that, whatever....

I think the QB/RB teammate combo is criticized unfairly...If you think about it, you're gonna get a piece of the pie every time that team goes in to score no matter if it's running or throwing....The only time that combo doesn't work is if the entire offense is bad....That's why it's better if you've got one of the elite QBs (Peyton, Brady, Palmer, Brees, Bulger, McNabb) and their RB counterpart...In fact Plindsey (a moderator here at the Cafe) won an expert league using this same strategy of Bulger and Jackson...
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Infidel » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:55 pm

I personally don't like the QB-RB combo unless it's a pass catching RB. If it's Bulger-Jackson, McNabb-Westy, Phillips-LT fine but otherwise, no. Too much of a limitation on your team's explosiveness. Now, the QB-WR duo is actually something I target (from passing teams). Won a SB with Hass-Jackson. This year, I am targeting Bulger-Holt or McNabb-Brown.
CheeseWhiz is a great substitute for plazma.
Infidel
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bobbing_headz » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:08 pm

I personally think that this should affect your draft decisions extremely minimally. I go on my projections and if I get two guys on the same team then I'm drafting them for their projected stats, being on a team won't change that. Of course, making good projections means that all the players on one team have stats that add up to reasonable team averages and you don't project breakout years for every player on a team equaling absurd totals radically different from the team's stats the year previous.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Crippler » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:10 pm

It makes no difference other than the streakiness of your team. Having teammates means that on good days for that team, you'll win. On bad days for that team, you'll probably lose. With players on different teams, you diversify the risk more.

Other than that, it makes no difference.

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Ball Sweat » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:26 pm

How about Williams and Alstott from TB? Say if your #1 RB is bye week. I'm in a 20 team league so there's not much available.
Ball Sweat
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby dream_017 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:42 am

More thoughts on teammates
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby chidoy » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:20 am

Since the other one was older, I'm gonna stick with the new one.

I personally love having teammates. Especially in high scoring O's. For instance last year in my 2 qb, PPR league, I had the luxury of having SJax/Bulger AND Westy/McNabb. All those dump offs to the RB's really added up. Palmer / Rudi would be a good one, even tho Rudi is non existent in ppr, but you get the idea. Brees/Bush would be one I would be targeting as well.
Even for WR's. I mean if you have a stud WR, and their qb to go with them, why not double up the points? Of course, this is IMHO.
Good luck!
10 team / Keeper / 2QB 2RB 2WR Flex TE DEF
McNabb/ Griese / JP / Clemens
SJax / Gore / Julius / T.Jones
Braylon / B.Marshall / Cotchery /Hackett
Gates / Olson
TENN
chidoy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next