Pilot forgets to lower wheels when Landing - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to General Talk

Pilot forgets to lower wheels when Landing

Moderator: Football Moderators

Pilot forgets to lower wheels when Landing

Postby sox 06 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:32 am

MIDDLESBORO, Ky. (AP) - Lined up with runway? Check. Engine speed? Check. Landing gear? Oops! A pilot ran through the usual steps of getting ready to land his small plane, except for one little thing - he forgot to lower his landing gear.

Without wheels, Thomas Lepsch's Beechcraft Bonanza skidded a few hundred metres down the runway at Middlesboro/Bell County Airport before coming to a stop Thursday.

"I'd never been at this airport before," Lepsch said. "There's a routine you go through as you prepare for a landing. I was distracted by another plane taking off and simply forgot to lower the landing gear. It was pilot error."

Lepsch, 50, of Kingsport, Tenn., was not hurt, and he said there appeared to be little damage to his small plane, which he has owned since 1985.

He said he didn't have time to panic during his unconventional landing because he was concentrating on controlling the plane and shutting off the fuel supply.

"There was a moment when I saw smoke and sparks when I thought of my four children and thought to myself that I wasn't ready for them to be without a father," he said. "I thought 'I sure hope I don't go up in a ball of fire."'

Lepsch had been flying over eastern Kentucky "to scout out some good fishing sites."

He said he considered driving, but after a storm front cleared out "it looked like a beautiful day for flying."
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 3238
Joined: 22 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Boomtown

Re: Pilot forgets to lower wheels when Landing

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:55 am

there appeared to be little damage to his small plane


How?! 8-o

Honestly, I'm surprised stuff like this doesn't happen more often. :-°
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: Pilot forgets to lower wheels when Landing

Postby bobbing_headz » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:52 am

How the heck could this happen?? Isn't putting the wheels down like the first thing you think of when you're landing?
Image
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 5602
Joined: 22 Jul 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: North of the Border

Re: Pilot forgets to lower wheels when Landing

Postby WickedSmaat » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:16 pm

bobbing_headz wrote:How the heck could this happen?? Isn't putting the wheels down like the first thing you think of when you're landing?


I wouldn't think so. I'm not a pilot but I do believe that it's harder to control a plane with the gear down. Just an oversight like he said, and I could believe it.
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 8165
Joined: 1 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Re: Pilot forgets to lower wheels when Landing

Postby moonhead » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:16 pm

there is a reason they don't let pilots fly drunk.
Image
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 15994
Joined: 16 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Re: Pilot forgets to lower wheels when Landing

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:44 pm

What a freaking idiot. Even I would remember to do that, and not only am I not a pilot, I'm forgetful as well.
Image

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 7746
Joined: 11 May 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Big House

Re: Pilot forgets to lower wheels when Landing

Postby joelamosobadiah » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:55 pm

How often have you in your job fogotten something seemingly simple and felt really stupid for it.... heck, it might not have even been his job since he was flying a small aircraft for recreational purposes. Like Omaha said, its a bit surprising it doesn't happen more often.
Image
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16386
Joined: 4 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Gun control is hitting what you aim at.

Re: Pilot forgets to lower wheels when Landing

Postby sox 06 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:16 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:How often have you in your job fogotten something seemingly simple and felt really stupid for it.... heck, it might not have even been his job since he was flying a small aircraft for recreational purposes. Like Omaha said, its a bit surprising it doesn't happen more often.

That's true but you would think the guy would be paying very close attention to landing the plane becuase if he messes any little thing up, he could be seriously injured or killed. Something like forgetting to bring an important paper to work ins't life threatening.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 3238
Joined: 22 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Boomtown

Re: Pilot forgets to lower wheels when Landing

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:07 pm

sox 06 wrote:
joelamosobadiah wrote:How often have you in your job fogotten something seemingly simple and felt really stupid for it.... heck, it might not have even been his job since he was flying a small aircraft for recreational purposes. Like Omaha said, its a bit surprising it doesn't happen more often.

That's true but you would think the guy would be paying very close attention to landing the plane becuase if he messes any little thing up, he could be seriously injured or killed. Something like forgetting to bring an important paper to work ins't life threatening.

Excellent point. Joel, I don't think you would commonly forget something so life-threatening.
Image

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 7746
Joined: 11 May 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Big House

Re: Pilot forgets to lower wheels when Landing

Postby joelamosobadiah » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:29 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
sox 06 wrote:
joelamosobadiah wrote:How often have you in your job fogotten something seemingly simple and felt really stupid for it.... heck, it might not have even been his job since he was flying a small aircraft for recreational purposes. Like Omaha said, its a bit surprising it doesn't happen more often.

That's true but you would think the guy would be paying very close attention to landing the plane becuase if he messes any little thing up, he could be seriously injured or killed. Something like forgetting to bring an important paper to work ins't life threatening.

Excellent point. Joel, I don't think you would commonly forget something so life-threatening.


No, I didn't say commonly, but the point was that it could happen accidentally cause people do occasionally forget things cause they are comfortable with what they do and stop paying attention.
Image
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16386
Joined: 4 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Gun control is hitting what you aim at.

Next

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 18:43 hours
(and 39 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact