New type of league... I have a vision, Developemental Keeper - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

New type of league... I have a vision, Developemental Keeper

Moderator: Football Moderators

New type of league... I have a vision, Developemental Keeper

Postby uscgmark » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:21 am

What is the worst part of beggining a keeper league.... It's the fact that some guy will have LT, Peyton, or TO forever.

Wouldn't it be great to have a way of developing a league into a keeper over the years....

Heres how I propose doing this:
Keep X years worth of talent each year. Lets say keep 5 years for argument sake. This would make many strong veteran players ineligable for keeping, and would encourage seeking out future studs. So at the end of the 2007 season you could keep SJax(2007 will be his 4th season in the NFL) and CJ2(Will be the conclution of his first season). Or Maybe you have MJD, Maroney, and Anthony Gonzalez.

SJax(4) + CJ2(1) = 5

MJD(2) + Maroney(2) + A Gonzalez(1) = 5

Now these players are kept forever, unless traded or dropped. No penalty to keep, one just looses thier last picks. Once traded they retain thier keeper status. If dropped, they may be kept again, but the current keeper cost must be payed again. This will never become a full dynesty, but it will be as close as you can get to simulating the same building process an NFL team typically goes through.

There will naturally be teams with different motivations. You may see Vince Young go in the first round to someone who wants to keep him for 2 Keeper Points this year. You also may see LT drop to #2 or #3 pick this year, because SJax can be kept forever and there are people who love Bush. It'll be kinda like seeing Quinn go #22 this year.

Ideally after about 5 years, each team will have more then 10 keepers. Players who are discovered in thier 6th+ year will never be kept. These players that went under the radar for years may be used to suppliment your team on a year to year basis.

This is just my first stab at a new type of league. Tell me what you think.... will it work....would you like it....what would you add....
1QB-Anderson, Kitna
2RB-M Turner, T Jones, K Watson, R Mendenhall, M Morris, L Betts, B Jackson
3WR-R Moss, R Wayne, M Colston, DJ Hatchett, J Porter
1TE-Shockey
1K-Bironas
1D-Minn
uscgmark
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: New type of league... I have a vision, Developemental Keeper

Postby uscgmark » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:41 am

Anybody have any input.....
1QB-Anderson, Kitna
1TE-Shockey
1K-Bironas
1D-Minn
uscgmark
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby kinghill » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:08 pm

Man I read this twice and I'm still quite confused as to how this works. I would suggest rewriting it as idiot-proof as possible for your league owners (and me, LOL).
kinghill
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby uscgmark » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:32 am

I dont understand what is confusing. I know "keeper points" is a new concept, but each point represents one year played in the NFL. So essentially one could keep 5 rookies going into thier 2nd year(ie each has one year in the NFL), or keep one player with 5 years exspiriance in the NFL(like Tony Romo at the end of the 2007 season). Someone can keep up to 5 players this way, and as little as 1.

I know typically keepers are determained by a number of players. This will be determained by years played in the NFL.

Ohh, and of coarse this would be IDP.
1QB-Anderson, Kitna
1TE-Shockey
1K-Bironas
1D-Minn
uscgmark
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby kinghill » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:49 am

OK it's becoming clearer. Still unsure on a few things though...

1) "Now these players are kept forever..."
Kept forever? How? Each year, don't you have to keep your "keeper points" at 5 or below?

2) "No penalty to keep, one just looses thier last picks..."
Loses their last draft picks? Or what? Not clear.

3) "Ideally after about 5 years, each team will have more then 10 keepers."
How could an owner have 10 keepers if they can only have 5 "keeper points"? (5 years total combined?)
kinghill
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby uscgmark » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:33 am

Once a players "keeper cost" has been payed in one year, they are kept forever. Meaning if you keep them once, that player is yours for eternity. You'll never have to pay "keeper points" in subsequent years, to retain them. You own them as a dynesty keeper esentially.

No penalty to keep- Meaning you will not loose your first X number of picks for each player kept. You will not loose the pick in the round you took them in the past. If the roster is a 25 player roster, and you have 4 total keepers, then during your "annual draft" you'll only draft through round 21.

After 5 years- We each year you will accumulate more and more players.... example....

Last year you kept: Vince Young(1)
Stephan Jackson (3)
Jones-Drew (1)

Going into this season, you retain all the above players. You now have 22 rounds that you will participate in during the "annual draft"(the first 22 rounds). At the end of the 2007 season you keep:

Vernon Davis (2)
Adrian Peterson (1)
Kenny Irons (1)
Dwayne Jarrett (1)

Now going into 2008 you have 7 keepers. In the 2008 annual draft, you will participate in the first 18 rounds.

Once a player has "signed" with your team at the end of a season, you own him until you trade him or drop him. No penalty, no cost, just one of your total roster spots.

In addition, if you don't use all of your "keeper points" in a year, you loose them. They do NOT accumulate, or "roll over". I may need to come up with a new term for "keeper points". Like "dynasty points"......maybe...
1QB-Anderson, Kitna
1TE-Shockey
1K-Bironas
1D-Minn
uscgmark
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby uscgmark » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:40 am

I still havnt developed this league yet, its an idea in progress for next year.
1QB-Anderson, Kitna
1TE-Shockey
1K-Bironas
1D-Minn
uscgmark
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby kinghill » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:30 pm

ok I understand now. Sounds like a pretty cool idea.

I'm personally not crazy about being in a dynasty league though. I prefer the keeper league with a limit on how long you can keep each player.
kinghill
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Hubarooski » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:10 pm

What is the worst part of beggining a keeper league.... It's the fact that some guy will have LT, Peyton, or TO forever.

I don't see how this solves the problem of a person having LT forever. Of course LT is a bad example because he has played >5 years, but lets say Steven Jackson turns into the next LT. He was a stud last year and only counted for 3 pts and is now you are stuck playing against SJax as he enters his prime.

I do like the idea of building a dynasty league still having some turnover in the beginning so that if you draft a bad/very young team the first year, you can still compete the next year by drafting older players.
Hubarooski
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Coolest1 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:28 am

The keeper points is an interesting idea. However, I like the idea of starting with say 5 as you suggest and then gaining points each year to spend. Say you decide an extra 5 every year. So year 2 you'd have 10 pts to spend on all your keepers. Year 3, 15 pts. If this is not enough (possible, since you want to increase # of keepers each year), you could increase the total additional pts each year, say 6 extra in year 2 (11 total) and 7 in year 3 (18 total).

Still, by far a very interesting idea. I'd definitely would want to hear more about how it goes.
Coolest1
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner