EMU president fired over rape & murder coverup - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

EMU president fired over rape & murder coverup

Moderator: Football Moderators

EMU president fired over rape & murder coverup

Postby stomperrob » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:25 pm

Other top officials to be sacked too. Their actions were inexcusable obviously. Fallon should never hold another job at any university!!!

EMU President Fired Over Murder Cover

POSTED: 7:33 am EDT July 16, 2007
UPDATED: 8:44 pm EDT July 16, 2007

YPSILANTI, Mich. -- Eastern Michigan University Board of Regents have voted to fire EMU President John Fallon and other top University officials.

During a meeting held on the phone Sunday night, the Board of Regents voted to fire Fallon, months after top university officials were accused of covering up the rape and slaying of a student.

Monday afternoon the EMU Board of Regents publicly announced their decision to fire Fallon and his top aides, Cindy Hall, Campus Police Chief and the Student Affairs Vice President, Jim Vick.

School officials publicly ruled out foul play into the death of Laura Dickinson despite evidence that would later lead to murder charges.

“There was a concern that some things would happen over the next several days that would be detrimental to the University and we decided to take action,” said EMU Regents Chairman, Thomas Sidlik.

Fallon said the termination letter was delivered by courier Sunday night to the president's house.

It did not state a reason for the firing, he said. The letter stated that the board had voted unanimously to terminate his employment contract effective Sunday -- two years after his five-year contract took effect.

School officials said they are bracing themselves for a lawsuit from Fallon, who claims his top administrators never told him.

Fallon said Sunday that he would comment at length in the days ahead on his termination and tenure.

“As a citizen, I am disappointed in this hastily called meeting, without any opportunity to be present or to respond," Fallon told the newspaper. "I have a story to tell and intend to tell it."

Fallon's dismissal follows an independent law firm investigation and U.S. Department of Education report, both of which found that the 23,500-student public university violated the federal Clery Act, which requires colleges and universities to disclose campus security information.

Students on campus said they agreed. "The fact that I had night classes at the time. I didn't know what was going on. I felt safe walking around on the cell phone," EMU student Lisa Faumann said.

The body of Laura Dickinson, 22, was discovered Dec. 15 in her dorm room.

At the time, university officials told Dickinson's parents and the media that she died of asphyxiation but that there was no sign of foul play, despite evidence to the contrary. It wasn't until another Eastern student was arrested in late February and charged with murder that her family and fellow students learned she had been raped and killed.

The accused student, Orange Taylor III, of Southfield, has pleaded not guilty to murder and criminal sexual conduct charges in Dickinson's death. He is scheduled for trial Oct. 15.

“I have at times, never witnessed a more uncooperative environment than I have seen in all the years at this university, with the normal exception of the students,” said EMU Regent James Stapleton.

EMU officials will allow Fallon to live in his 10,000-square-foot home for another two months.

The process of finding a new EMU president can take at least several months.
Last edited by stomperrob on Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: EMU president fired over rape & murder coverup

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:43 pm

And in the world of Stomper...this is about as upbeat as it gets.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Re: EMU president fired over rape & murder coverup

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:48 am

...and I sure wouldn't let the bum stay in his luxurious 10,000 sq ft house - call the movers to come and pick up his stuff and drop him off at a Motel 6!!!
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Return to General Talk