Brandon Jackson - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Brandon Jackson

Moderator: Football Moderators

Brandon Jackson

Postby Guru13 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:31 pm

what's the consensus on this guy, I fell pretty good about him (just nominated him in my auction league), and feel that he could have the starting job by like week 3 or so, he's a pretty talented back from what I've seen, what's everyone else think about him?
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Brandon Jackson

Postby stomperrob » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:27 pm

I've grabbed Jackson in the late rounds of a couple early drafts I did - I think he has a good chance to either win the job in training camp/pre-season, or if not, at least sometime in the first month of the regular season. I haven't targeted Morency.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

Postby maddog60 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:24 pm

He should go top 4 in a dynasty rookie draft, and him and Marshawn Lynch are the only two rookie RBs I have any interest in. AP will go too high and has decent competition. Lynch will likely go quite high as well, Jackson to me will be the value rookie pick of the draft.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby HskrPwr13 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:13 pm

Tougher runner than he gets credit for. He can go inside or out and hits holes with burst. As a Husker fan, I'll be disappointed if he cant beat out a Morency for the job at some point. Just dont reach for him since GB isnt going to be great offensively.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bagobonez » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:45 pm

I agree, I think he'll win the job before too long. If the Texans of all people cut MOrency, that doesn't say much for him. Jackson should get the job. But the Packers O-line isn't that great, and Favre gets to throw the ball 23523189 times a game, so temper your expectations even if he wins the job.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:28 pm

I dunno about Jackson. Morency looked pretty impressive to me at times last season. And I had him as the #5 RB in his draft class so it's not like he isn't talented enough. He didn't get cut BTW, they traded him for Gado. Houston made that move, because GB's former coach went to Houston and wanted Gado, GB was more than happy to make that trade.

Morency came into the NFL as a mature player and now he is a veteran who should be entering his prime in both physical and mental aspects. My feelings are that Jackson has to actually win the job before he can do anything with it. And right now, I feel like it's gonna take an injury to get Jackson significant playing time. He is behind in experience, knowledge of the playbook, and is the newbie for both the team and in the NFL. Morency doesn't have to deal with any of those issues.

Training camp and preseason will tell you the same thing. Morency starts, Jackson waits in the wings.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Popcynical » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:03 pm

Kensat30 wrote:I dunno about Jackson. Morency looked pretty impressive to me at times last season. And I had him as the #5 RB in his draft class so it's not like he isn't talented enough. He didn't get cut BTW, they traded him for Gado. Houston made that move, because GB's former coach went to Houston and wanted Gado, GB was more than happy to make that trade.

Morency came into the NFL as a mature player and now he is a veteran who should be entering his prime in both physical and mental aspects. My feelings are that Jackson has to actually win the job before he can do anything with it. And right now, I feel like it's gonna take an injury to get Jackson significant playing time. He is behind in experience, knowledge of the playbook, and is the newbie for both the team and in the NFL. Morency doesn't have to deal with any of those issues.

Training camp and preseason will tell you the same thing. Morency starts, Jackson waits in the wings.

This is similar to my thinking.

I believe Morency will win the starting job, and they'll eventually split the carries somewhere near 65-35 or 60-40.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby mattb47 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:12 pm

bagobonez wrote:I agree, I think he'll win the job before too long. If the Texans of all people cut MOrency, that doesn't say much for him. Jackson should get the job. But the Packers O-line isn't that great, and Favre gets to throw the ball 23523189 times a game, so temper your expectations even if he wins the job.

I agree with Kensat and Popcynical....I think Morency will actually win out there in the end. He looked pretty decent last year and Jackson really wasn't THAT great of a college player. Also, Morency didn't get cut from the Texans....they traded him for Samkon Gado and considering how well Gado had performed for the Packers, they must think that Morency is someone they like more.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Loose Circuits » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:20 pm

Morency had a much better college career (which is what we evaluate BJax despite playing for an inferior team in the same conference. He also had a much better combine)
Morency has NFL experience and knowledge of the playbook
The Packers liked Morency enough to trade Samkon Gado who tore it up in the NFL

I'm not sure what Brandon Jackson has over Morency except he's younger. He may have slightly better hands, but I dunno...

Fact is I see Morency taking the majority of the carries and running with the starting job.

Another thing, Brandon Jackson wasn't even the feature back at NE for what maybe half a season. He was constantly injured and sat behind Cory Ross the year before. I just don't see what the kool aid drinkers are buying. Not one of them can give me any reason except he looked good on film when he got a chance to play last year. My question is if he is so good, why the hell was he riding the pine until his Junior year and why the hell did he not win the feature job until midseason?
Loose Circuits
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Crippler » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:48 pm

Common sense generally says to start a RB with more experience for now, and let the rookie get a smaller load so that he can learn and ease into the situation. Reggie Bush, Joseph Addai and Jerious Norwood are examples.

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 17)