Waiver Problem - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Waiver Problem

Moderator: Football Moderators

Waiver Problem

Postby mthomas720 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:45 pm

I am commish of a 14 team Yahoo league. This year we expanded by 4 teams. In such a big league, we can't use the simple first-come-first-serve system of free agents, we need to use the waiver wire. But in Yahoo, you have to set a certain number of days for a player to go on waivers, and we have probably at least 6 owners who will wait until late Saturday or early Sunday to make their moves. So if we used, for example, a 2 day waiver period, players dropped late Saturday and early Sunday couldn't be picked up by other teams for games that week. What's the solution to this problem? Thanks for any help.
Props to sigmaker for the sig

"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up." - Vince Lombardi
mthomas720
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Waiver Problem

Postby dgan » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:01 pm

I don't use Yahoo, but I thought there was a 'deadline' for the waiver order. For example, you can place a claim on a player on Monday, but everyone ahead of you in the waiver order has until Wednesday to beat you to it. If they don't make their move by Wednesday, you get your guy. Granted, someone can wait until Saturday to drop a player and then no one else could pick up that player until the following week, but that also means he just picked up someone that nobody else wanted. So why would an owner drop a player that other people would want only to pickup a player nobody wants? It seems fair to me, unless I'm missing something.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby mthomas720 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:40 pm

Well I was thinking that an owner could be picking up someone no one else wants, but dropping someone that other people might want. For instance he might need a TE and have a RB that he doesn't need, so he drops the RB and picks up the TE. And maybe someone else needs an RB, and ends up settling for someone on the waiver wire. But, what if they would have rather had the RB that the 1st owner dropped, but couldn't get him because he was dropped on Saturday night or early Sunday morning? Also, this could lead to owners trying to keep other teams from getting their players, although I guess that would be unlikely as it would prevent them from picking up players available earlier in the week. Maybe the system Yahoo has would be fine, but I'm just thinking about a situation like the one above. I suppose overall, a player being dropped from a team wouldn't be that much better than anyone on the waiver wire, and even if he was, the chance that he would be the difference in that weeks matchup are pretty slim.

What do those of you in Yahoo leagues do?

"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up." - Vince Lombardi
mthomas720
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby kinghill » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:22 am

mthomas720 wrote:What do those of you in Yahoo leagues do?

I use Yahoo and we actually execute our free agent moves manually (the Commish receives the requests and uses the Commish tools to drop/add) at a set time every week. Dropped players can't be picked up until the following week.

So in your case with using the automated system... I don't see a problem really. I mean with 14 teams, any player dropped is going to be injured or horrible/not playing 99% of the time right?
kinghill
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby dream_017 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:22 am

Switch to AOL :-b
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby mthomas720 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:59 am

kinghill wrote:

I use Yahoo and we actually execute our free agent moves manually (the Commish receives the requests and uses the Commish tools to drop/add) at a set time every week. Dropped players can't be picked up until the following week.

So in your case with using the automated system... I don't see a problem really. I mean with 14 teams, any player dropped is going to be injured or horrible/not playing 99% of the time right?

So you don't run into any problems with that, as far as players not being available that you would want? Its starting to sound OK more and more, its just when I first realized that some players wouldn't be available until the following week I thought it would be a problem.

mthomas720
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby kinghill » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:50 am

mthomas720 wrote:So you don't run into any problems with that, as far as players not being available that you would want? Its starting to sound OK more and more, its just when I first realized that some players wouldn't be available until the following week I thought it would be a problem.

Well, I never really considered it a "problem", but yes that does happen sometimes.
When the drop/adds are announced on Friday or Saturday or whenever we do them, though it's rare, occasionally I'll see someone that sparks my interest and I'll just look at the free agent priority for the next week to see how much of a chance I'll have to get him. When we send in our drop/add requests we can request a few players, for example;

free agent round 1
drop: jimbo jones
add: eli manning
if Eli isn't available, add: trent green
if Trent isn't available, add: steve mcnair
(then if none of these qbs are available, I'd be keeping jimbo jones)

free agent round 2:
drop: james mungro
add: rb-specialoftheweek

anyway you get the picture. it's more work for the Commish but it's the most fair way we could think to set it up.
kinghill
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby TheGuru22 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:41 pm

I don't really see anything wrong with not being able to pick up these dropped players until the next week. It could be used strategically by some owners if they are dropping someone that another team could use, but that also means they have to wait until later in the week to perform the transaction, which is risky as the player they want to pick up could be gone by then.
TheGuru22
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Commissioner's Corner