Man's best friend - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Man's best friend

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Man's best friend

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:58 pm

That's some nice looking brick work on your backyard BBQ you built, homey.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby josebach » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:13 pm

scottaa1 wrote:That's some nice looking brick work on your backyard BBQ you built, homey.

Yeah, I think Met's a mason. Isn't that right, Met?

How old was Ginger in that picture? She couldn't be much older than 4 weeks.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Metroid » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:18 pm

josebach wrote:Yeah, I think Met's a mason. Isn't that right, Met?

Yep. ;-D

scottaa1 wrote:That's some nice looking brick work on your backyard BBQ you built, homey.

Thanks man. ;-D

I was a mason for like 10 years...I guess I kinda still am even though I haven't really done much of anything in a year or so. That was actually at a rental, I knew I was gonna be there a while and my boss had a bunch of left over brick from a job so all I had to buy was mortar, fire brick and the grill. He gave me everything else I needed. I think thats part of the reason my landlord gave us our deposit back in full even after we had been there for 7 years and he never raised the rent on us, he really like the BBQ. ;-D

josebach wrote:How old was Ginger in that picture? She couldn't be much older than 4 weeks.

I'm pretty sure she was 5 weeks old. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:37 pm

Metroid wrote:I think thats part of the reason my landlord gave us our deposit back in full even after we had been there for 7 years and he never raised the rent on us, he really like the BBQ. ;-D

Heck yeah, if you were doing improvements on his property, by all means there should be some benefit for you as well. Even though you thoroughly enjoyed the BBQ and did it for your own porpoises while you lived there, it does help him find new renters having an awesome grilling station built in on the property.

Fire brick? Normal bricks aren't enough? I don't know my masonry. I guess the mortar probably needs heat protection or something?
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:45 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
Metroid wrote:I think thats part of the reason my landlord gave us our deposit back in full even after we had been there for 7 years and he never raised the rent on us, he really like the BBQ. ;-D

Heck yeah, if you were doing improvements on his property, by all means there should be some benefit for you as well. Even though you thoroughly enjoyed the BBQ and did it for your own porpoises while you lived there, it does help him find new renters having an awesome grilling station built in on the property.

Fire brick? Normal bricks aren't enough? I don't know my masonry. I guess the mortar probably needs heat protection or something?

Exactly. Also the regular brick needs protection as well. Really all the pretty brick you see on a fireplace is most often just for looks. If you have a brick fireplace in your home look inside the fire box you'll see(if they're not too dirty)a cream colored brick with super tight joints. They are very dense, exactly the same type of brick used in kilns and can handle very high temps. Also all the way up your chimney are flue liners that also handle heat better.
Metroid

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:51 pm

Metroid wrote:
scottaa1 wrote:

Exactly. Also the regular brick needs protection as well. Really all the pretty brick you see on a fireplace is most often just for looks. If you have a brick fireplace in your home look inside the fire box you'll see(if they're not too dirty)a cream colored brick with super tight joints. They are very dense, exactly the same type of brick used in kilns and can handle very high temps. Also all the way up your chimney are flue liners that also handle heat better.

Met gave me some tips a while back regarding a firepit. I still haven't gone with a permanent solution, but I threw together a pit out of the regular red bricks. They worked well for a while, but we burn so much they're all cracking now. This spring I'm getting some of those nice looking fire bricks you suggested.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby joelamosobadiah » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:12 pm

scottaa1 wrote:...did it for your own porpoises...

I didn't know Met kept pet fish too. O:-) O:-)
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:15 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Met gave me some tips a while back regarding a firepit. I still haven't gone with a permanent solution, but I threw together a pit out of the regular red bricks. They worked well for a while, but we burn so much they're all cracking now. This spring I'm getting some of those nice looking fire bricks you suggested.

Yeah we built a round fire pit in my buddies back yard with just regular brick and mortar. It didn't last long either but it worked well for a while. If you need anymore tips or thoughts hit me up I'll help however I can. ;-D

Another Ginger pic to keep the thread on topic. ;-D
:-b
Metroid

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:30 pm

scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Metroid » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:33 pm

Thats awesome. :-b ;-D
Metroid

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk