Man's best friend - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Man's best friend

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Man's best friend

Postby Nfl Fan » Thu May 15, 2008 6:04 pm

stomperrob wrote:
Metroid wrote:Ginger loves to play fetch too...it's like everything to her, but I think if it was going to cause her physical pain I would probably stop...or at least cut WAY down. Maybe just throw the ball a few times and then take her for a walk to exercise her.

I agree, unless she gets some relief from medication or a simple glucosamine supplement, I wouldn't overdo it with her.

Ya, Mon...
and DON'T THROW THE BALL SO FAR!!!! :-° :-b
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Thu May 15, 2008 6:05 pm

I also want to add(stomper kind touched on it) that you should absolutely take your dog to the vet and see about getting some medication for her, and get a 2nd opinion too. Her quality of life may be able to be improved incredibly with some meds.

I wonder also, is she overweight?
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Nfl Fan » Thu May 15, 2008 6:07 pm

Metroid wrote:I also want to add(stomper kind touched on it) that you should absolutely take your dog to the vet and see about getting some medication for her, and get a 2nd opinion too. Her quality of life may be able to be improved incredibly with some meds.

Absolutely! Rocky (our 11 year old Boxer) has felt alot better with some drugs in his system. :-B
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Metroid » Thu May 15, 2008 6:13 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:Absolutely! Rocky (our 11 year old Boxer) has felt alot better with some drugs in his system. :-B

Of course he does...I know I do. :-°

I keed, I keed. :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Canucks_Fantasy » Thu May 15, 2008 6:20 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Ok, I'd like some opinions on my situation with my dog. She lives to play fetch and get wet. Having arthritis, however, she's pretty sore after playing fetch. I think it's obvious, as much as I don't want it to be, that she's probably only got a couple years left. Do I play fetch with her because it's what she absolutely loves to do, knowing she'll be quite sore most of the next day, or do I not play fetch so she won't get sore?

I tend to somewhat agree with Met/Nfl Fan/Stomper.

I wouldn't stop playing fetch with her, but I'd think about cutting back. If you were in your final years would you want someone to take away something you truly loved so you could be a bit more comfortable? I'd rather have fewer years in my life and truly enjoy life at the fullest. I know not overworking the dog is merely in the interest of extending her life as long as possible but I don't see it as fair to take away the thing she loves.

Like I said before, you should probably cut back however. You don't want her to overwork herself.
Canucks_Fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby stomperrob » Thu May 15, 2008 6:28 pm

Here's some good tips: http://www.svh.ca/svharthritis.html

Info on drugs: http://arthritis.about.com/od/dogarthri ... ations.htm

Info on supplements: http://www.placervillevet.com/nutraceuticals.htm

Good luck - hopefully she has many good years left in her! ;-D ;-D
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu May 15, 2008 8:05 pm

Canucks_Fantasy wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Ok, I'd like some opinions on my situation with my dog. She lives to play fetch and get wet. Having arthritis, however, she's pretty sore after playing fetch. I think it's obvious, as much as I don't want it to be, that she's probably only got a couple years left. Do I play fetch with her because it's what she absolutely loves to do, knowing she'll be quite sore most of the next day, or do I not play fetch so she won't get sore?

I tend to somewhat agree with Met/Nfl Fan/Stomper.

I wouldn't stop playing fetch with her, but I'd think about cutting back. If you were in your final years would you want someone to take away something you truly loved so you could be a bit more comfortable? I'd rather have fewer years in my life and truly enjoy life at the fullest. I know not overworking the dog is merely in the interest of extending her life as long as possible but I don't see it as fair to take away the thing she loves.

Like I said before, you should probably cut back however. You don't want her to overwork herself.

This is what I was thinking and thanks for all of your suggestions. I have cut back the distances of my throws significantly. I used to be able to launch the ball down the street or, using my golf club tennis ball tosser thing, let it fly in a field. We just toss it for her across the yard a little ways now.

My wife's a registered vet tech so she knows quite a bit about what kinds of things to help her out. One was diet because, in answer to Met's question, she is slightly overweight. Not unhealthy so, as she is a rather bulky lab, but she's been put on a diet specifically for older, bigger dogs.

So we'll take her to the vet and see what else he suggests we do. Thanks guys. And thanks for the links Stomper. ;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby stomperrob » Thu May 15, 2008 10:59 pm

...and seeing as she likes swimming, that's about the best exercise since it doesn't put any weight on her joints. That's why ya see a lotta people rehabbing in pools now - heck, the rich peole even do it for their race horses!
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri May 16, 2008 7:34 am

stomperrob wrote:...and seeing as she likes swimming, that's about the best exercise since it doesn't put any weight on her joints. That's why ya see a lotta people rehabbing in pools now - heck, the rich peole even do it for their race horses!

She's got her own kiddie pool on the deck for relaxation. ;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Guru13 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:18 pm

been meaning to do this for awhile just couldn't get the pics on my comp, but my sister's computer has a dvd drive so it's cool now here's our dog: sugar...she really does sleep like that.

Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk