Man's best friend - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to General Talk

Man's best friend

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Man's best friend

Postby Metroid » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:44 am

Nfl Fan wrote:Our 11 year old dog Rocky passed away today. :,-( We were all there with him. He died peacefully and naturally.

Man I'm really sorry to hear that, my deepest sympathies. :,-(
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: Man's best friend

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:01 am

:,-( Sorry for your family's loss Nfl. :,-(
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: Man's best friend

Postby Nfl Fan » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:23 am

Thanks guys.

We are all sooo sad. He was almost 12 and we knew he didn't have much more left in him. It all happened so fast, too. He just started to fail and within a couple days he was gone. But as doggy deaths go, it was good. We were all there as was Buster. We were petting him and hugging him. Poor Buster had the most sorrowful look on his face as Rocky passed. Then he just laid his head on Rocky's neck for the next hour.

So he's in a nice little grave in our backyard. We've all been bawling our eyes out. Sad sad sad.
Image
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 6275
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 18 May 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: AUTZEN!!!!!!

Re: Man's best friend

Postby Metroid » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:34 am

That makes me tear up....again my deepest sympathies my friend. :,-(
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: Man's best friend

Postby treat24 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:43 am

Polar Bear wrote:Well I'm joining this thread a little late but oh well.

2 weeks ago my dog passed away, he was 16 years old. From everything I could tell he died of old age and died peacefully. I had that mutt since I was 10 years old and he is responsible for the many girls I managed to pickup on the beach. He was half lab and half cocker spaniel. He had the lab body frame with the spaniel floppy ears. Great memories with him and he lived a nice full life so his death wasn't too sad, although he will be missed.

I'm with the first poster of this topic. I don't understand why someone would be so cruel to a dog considering how freely dogs give their trust to others. While I am certainly not ready to get another dog so quick after the loss of my last one. I will eventually have a few more. I will probably go with a Rotweiller just because I love the breed.


Nfl Fan wrote:Our 11 year old dog Rocky passed away today. :,-( We were all there with him. He died peacefully and naturally.


I'm sorry for both your losses. I die, just die every time one of my dog passes. Living in rural MN growing up... as many dogs do... when they were nearing death, my dogs in the past had just walked off into the sunset... literally. walked into the woods to die. Since I've been a city boy, I am fearing the deaths of my parents dog who is 15 (Got him when I was 13) ... and my dog Fred is now 4. I will be crushed when he goes. I hope I go first. :,-(
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18188
Joined: 6 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Re: Man's best friend

Postby Guru13 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:47 am

treat24 wrote:
Polar Bear wrote:Well I'm joining this thread a little late but oh well.

2 weeks ago my dog passed away, he was 16 years old. From everything I could tell he died of old age and died peacefully. I had that mutt since I was 10 years old and he is responsible for the many girls I managed to pickup on the beach. He was half lab and half cocker spaniel. He had the lab body frame with the spaniel floppy ears. Great memories with him and he lived a nice full life so his death wasn't too sad, although he will be missed.

I'm with the first poster of this topic. I don't understand why someone would be so cruel to a dog considering how freely dogs give their trust to others. While I am certainly not ready to get another dog so quick after the loss of my last one. I will eventually have a few more. I will probably go with a Rotweiller just because I love the breed.


Nfl Fan wrote:Our 11 year old dog Rocky passed away today. :,-( We were all there with him. He died peacefully and naturally.


I'm sorry for both your losses. I die, just die every time one of my dog passes. Living in rural MN growing up... as many dogs do... when they were nearing death, my dogs in the past had just walked off into the sunset... literally. walked into the woods to die. Since I've been a city boy, I am fearing the deaths of my parents dog who is 15 (Got him when I was 13) ... and my dog Fred is now 4. I will be crushed when he goes. I hope I go first. :,-(

that's how I believe a dog should die, walking off into the woods and dying, it truly is best I think.
Image
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 9206
Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Man's best friend

Postby dream_017 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:26 pm

Metroid wrote:That makes me tear up....

Right there with you Met. :,-(

Sorry for the loss NFL.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 15305
(Past Year: 59)
Joined: 3 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Ford Field: Section - 132; Row - 19; Seat - 11

Re: Man's best friend

Postby treat24 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:56 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:
treat24 wrote:I'm sorry for both your losses. I die, just die every time one of my dog passes. Living in rural MN growing up... as many dogs do... when they were nearing death, my dogs in the past had just walked off into the sunset... literally. walked into the woods to die. Since I've been a city boy, I am fearing the deaths of my parents dog who is 15 (Got him when I was 13) ... and my dog Fred is now 4. I will be crushed when he goes. I hope I go first. :,-(

that's how I believe a dog should die, walking off into the woods and dying, it truly is best I think.


Something very poetic about it. It made the losses a lot easier to take for me. With my dog and my parents dog and my wife's family dog... this will not happen. I fear those days.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18188
Joined: 6 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Re: Man's best friend

Postby Polar Bear » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:21 pm

Well I grew up on a farm and love to hunt so I have seen my share of animals die and for some reason a dogs death really stings for me. I was prepared for Midnight's death for quite some time. About 13 years ago a vet told me that he had heart worms and wanted me to pay close to $1000 for the procedure to remove them. Well I was only 13 years old at the time and did not have that kind of money so I opted to enjoy my time with him. Well, he gave me 13 more fun-filled years. Just a great family dog. His personality was docile and he was great around small children. The last few weeks of his life he slept pretty much all the time and I knew it was only a matter of time before he passed. The morning I found him he was laying there like he was asleep. I was glad that I found him before anyone in my family did, especially my little nephew. It was definitely tough carrying him out and burying him though.

I have lost 4 dogs in my life and like treat mentioned 3 of them walked into the woods to die, Midnight didn't because he was a house dog. Each one has been hard to lose. I had to kill quite a few animals when I was a kid/teenager because of sickness, hunting, or because they were raised for food, but I have never been able to kill a dog or horse. I guess Coyote's are the only exception to that since they are horrible in my area and have been known to be aggressive. I have killed quite a few of those, but that falls under hunting. I just don't have it in me to kill a dog or horse even if they are suffering. I will call the vet to put them to sleep.

Anyways, thanks for the kind words.
Polar Bear
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 301
Joined: 12 Jun 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Man's best friend

Postby Guru13 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:12 pm

Polar Bear wrote:Well I grew up on a farm and love to hunt so I have seen my share of animals die and for some reason a dogs death really stings for me. I was prepared for Midnight's death for quite some time. About 13 years ago a vet told me that he had heart worms and wanted me to pay close to $1000 for the procedure to remove them. Well I was only 13 years old at the time and did not have that kind of money so I opted to enjoy my time with him. Well, he gave me 13 more fun-filled years. Just a great family dog. His personality was docile and he was great around small children. The last few weeks of his life he slept pretty much all the time and I knew it was only a matter of time before he passed. The morning I found him he was laying there like he was asleep. I was glad that I found him before anyone in my family did, especially my little nephew. It was definitely tough carrying him out and burying him though.

I have lost 4 dogs in my life and like treat mentioned 3 of them walked into the woods to die, Midnight didn't because he was a house dog. Each one has been hard to lose. I had to kill quite a few animals when I was a kid/teenager because of sickness, hunting, or because they were raised for food, but I have never been able to kill a dog or horse. I guess Coyote's are the only exception to that since they are horrible in my area and have been known to be aggressive. I have killed quite a few of those, but that falls under hunting. I just don't have it in me to kill a dog or horse even if they are suffering. I will call the vet to put them to sleep.

Anyways, thanks for the kind words.

I'm right there with you, two years ago whil deer hunting the owner wanted us to shoot any dogs we saw 'cause he said they were chasing deer (which can be a big problem) and I saw several but I definitely couldn't shoot 'em, I just love dogs way too much.

On a bit of a different note - my dog did something awful today...I think, I can't imagine it would've been anything else, but I've never seen my dog produce anything like this. I come home to find this red thing that kinda fades to yellow at the end, about the size of a turd laying on the rug...it's disguisting, I almost threw up and I do not have a weak stomach at all. %-6
Image
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 9206
Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 15:07 hours
(and 39 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact