Man's best friend - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to General Talk

Man's best friend

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Man's best friend

Postby Metroid » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:09 pm

Thanks for asking. Yeah I took her to the vet Saturday and they gave her a prescription for Prednisone(spl?). Yesterday there was quite a noticeable change and today she looks a ton better. There is just a small bump under her eye now.

Sorry to hear about Diesel's toe. Ginger had the same thing happen to her jumping out of a window, she got a claw stuck in the window track and it broke nearly all the way off. She actually had to go to the vet that time also to have the rest of it removed all the way to the quick. Did Diesel need to go to the vet or are you gonna take him? If not just make sure you keep the toe really clean to avoid infection. I'm sure you know whats up man. ;-D
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: Man's best friend

Postby lmcjaho » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:54 pm

Metroid wrote:Thanks for asking. Yeah I took her to the vet Saturday and they gave her a prescription for Prednisone(spl?). Yesterday there was quite a noticeable change and today she looks a ton better. There is just a small bump under her eye now.

Sorry to hear about Diesel's toe. Ginger had the same thing happen to her jumping out of a window, she got a claw stuck in the window track and it broke nearly all the way off. She actually had to go to the vet that time also to have the rest of it removed all the way to the quick. Did Diesel need to go to the vet or are you gonna take him? If not just make sure you keep the toe really clean to avoid infection. I'm sure you know whats up man. ;-D



Good to hear she's looking better - Prednizone (sp?) is like Benadryl on crack I think. At least it seems like it since they are always using it on House for allergic reactions...

Diesel's toe seems fine - we used a home remedy of baking soda to stop the bleeding the first day, and when he re-opened the wound a couple days later we had some store-bought stuff to stop it. Since then it has been fine, no limp, no swelling or other sign of infection. The worst part was the day it happened it was half-hanging there, not all the way off. I had the nail-clippers to try and cut it the rest of the way but never had a chance, he pulled his leg away and instead of cutting it I pulled the nail the rest of the way off - leaving only the quick behind %-6
Image
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Posts: 3441
Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Montreal

Re: Man's best friend

Postby Metroid » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:05 pm

Prednisone is a hormone/steroid that decreases your immune system's response to all kinds of things. It's often used when people/animals have allergic reactions or swelling. Because of how it effects the immune system you have to be very careful in staying with the prescribed dosage. Skipping doses or stopping suddenly in the middle of the regimen can result in your immune system basically being turned off. :-o

Today she looks totally fine, her dose of Prednisone has been cut way down. I think she only takes a small dose for another day or two. ;-D
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: Man's best friend

Postby lmcjaho » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:09 pm

New pics of the mutts. Diesel on the left, Jade on the right - hard to tell in the photo but he outmasses her by about 55lbs.

Image


Jade being forced into submissive mode by Mrslmcjaho after she attacked Diesel over a bone about 5 seconds after the pic above was snapped. She's a possessive little b***h with regards to the other dog. Unfortunately I gave him a big beating after their first fight over a chew-toy (at the time he outweighed her about 12:1) and ever since he's been a submissive little pansy around her so she's never been put in her place.

Image
Image
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Posts: 3441
Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Montreal

Re: Man's best friend

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:21 pm

Nice lookin animals lmcjaho. You ever watch a show called The Dog Whisperer? I'd never seen it before last weekend. The guy's a canine psychologist, uses that submissive hold on the over aggressive dogs to great effect. He whips them into shape straightaway.

I saw the one bone in front of the two dogs in the first pic and thought uh oh! When I was younger, we had an irish setter and a ... little dog of some sort, can't remember the breed. They both went for the same bone and in the course of what followed, the little dog (children, stop reading here) had one of its eyes come out. Wasn't fixable. I can still picture that little dog with its eye hanging down the side of its head, and this was 30 years ago.

Now that I've undoubtedly cheered everyone up, I'm glad Ginger is feeling better, Met!
Image
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 8540
(Past Year: 13)
Joined: 17 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Indy

Re: Man's best friend

Postby Metroid » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:43 pm

lmcjaho's dog pics. ;-D

Dangling dog eyes. :-t
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: Man's best friend

Postby lmcjaho » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:46 pm

scottaa1 wrote:Nice lookin animals lmcjaho. You ever watch a show called The Dog Whisperer? I'd never seen it before last weekend. The guy's a canine psychologist, uses that submissive hold on the over aggressive dogs to great effect. He whips them into shape straightaway.


Yeah, that's actually his methods she is trying to apply in the pic ;-D

Unfortunately when we first got Jade (we had Diesel and a 14-year-old Shepherd female Nicky already) we were working on opposite shifts (I worked nights and the wife worked days) and we never took the proper time to train her. It seemed a little unnecessary because she is so small (lol - 70lbs seems small to us with Diesel @ 125 and Nicky @ 100) that even when she was being too hyper it came across as more "cute" than a problem. Also, Nicky was without a doubt the Alpha dog in the house, and Jade was much better behaved with Nick around because Nicky would kick her tail if she wasn't. Fast forward to now, with Nicky up in doggie heaven, and Jade ruling the house like it's her own little prison yard and Diesel is her b***h, and I wish we had taken the time back then to prevent these issues. Now it's an uphill battle to un-engrain her bad habits.


scottaa1 wrote:I saw the one bone in front of the two dogs in the first pic and thought uh oh! When I was younger, we had an irish setter and a ... little dog of some sort, can't remember the breed. They both went for the same bone and in the course of what followed, the little dog (children, stop reading here) had one of its eyes come out. Wasn't fixable. I can still picture that little dog with its eye hanging down the side of its head, and this was 30 years ago.


The worst part is there are like a half dozen bones lying around within 10 feet of them in that room, including the basket of toys on the left side of the second pic which has all kinds of things they can get for themselves. She just doesn't want him to have ANY of them because she's a selfish little brat.
Image
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Posts: 3441
Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Montreal

Re: Man's best friend

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:02 am

I never thought I could appreciate or enjoy the Dog Whisperer, but I came around to it after watching it with the wife a few times. He knows his stuff and we've applied a few of his techniques and they really do work pretty well.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: Man's best friend

Postby scottaa1 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:46 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I never thought I could appreciate or enjoy the Dog Whisperer, but I came around to it after watching it with the wife a few times. He knows his stuff and we've applied a few of his techniques and they really do work pretty well.


I can understand that. At first I thought 'wow arrogant much?' when he started lecturing a veterinarian about how to act around dogs - she didn't look like she much enjoyed hearing it from him. But in the end, a dingo that had never been able to have an exam in its life finally got an exam and bloodwork for the first time. It's as important for our pets to get checkups as it is for us. (Advice I'm giving to myself, since when I went to the doc last month it was the first time I'd been since 2004.)

My neighbor's big black dog comes over to visit. And a friend has a 100 pound lap dog who if you stop petting his head will lift his head up to your hand and rub his head back and forth. :-)
Image
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 8540
(Past Year: 13)
Joined: 17 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Indy

Re: Man's best friend

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:00 am

scottaa1 wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:I never thought I could appreciate or enjoy the Dog Whisperer, but I came around to it after watching it with the wife a few times. He knows his stuff and we've applied a few of his techniques and they really do work pretty well.


I can understand that. At first I thought 'wow arrogant much?' when he started lecturing a veterinarian about how to act around dogs - she didn't look like she much enjoyed hearing it from him. But in the end, a dingo that had never been able to have an exam in its life finally got an exam and bloodwork for the first time. It's as important for our pets to get checkups as it is for us. (Advice I'm giving to myself, since when I went to the doc last month it was the first time I'd been since 2004.)

My neighbor's big black dog comes over to visit. And a friend has a 100 pound lap dog who if you stop petting his head will lift his head up to your hand and rub his head back and forth. :-)


I think I've seen that episode. The intro's a bit overkill for me where he says "I...am...the Dog Whisperer" and then stands there with his hands on his hips like he's a superhero. :-b
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 0:06 hours
(and 42 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact