Man's best friend - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Man's best friend

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Man's best friend

Postby Nfl Fan » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:51 pm

bmor8811 wrote:True. Just never thought about it like that. Thanks for the info man! Learn something new... time to go try and fix my shoes Rowdy has seemed to become married to or something. He's a bit rough... even for a 10 lb. hair ball :-D

Have fun with the little guy... they are GREAT dogs! ;-D
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby lmcjaho » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:13 pm

So, after almost 7 years with nary a visit for anything other than yearly shots we had to take Diesel to the vet this weekend. He refused to eat on Friday (picture John Madden refusing to say Brett Favre for how unlikely that is under normal circumstances) and when the wife took him out for a walk she noticed blood in his urine and he couldn't poop, so Saturday morning it was off to see Dr. Bill.

$300 later (x-ray, urinalysis, sedation for x-ray, anti-inflammatory and anti-biotic shots, etc) he was sent home with us overnight with a follow-up visit scheduled for the next morning. Diagnosis at that time was still fuzzy but all signs pointed to bladder problem, enlarged prostate problem, or both.

Sunday morning he still was unable to really poop, only managed to squeeze out a couple of Hershey's kiss-sized blobs (for a 131lb Rott this is obviously not a proper poop) after a minute of struggle but his urine was clearing up with only the end dribbles being bloody still. Upon hearing this Dr. Bill more or less ruled out the bladder as the cause, leaving enlarged prostate. Causes for this could include Cancer (bad one obviously), infection, or benign something-or-other. Treatment varies for each cause, so he needed blood work done to try and narrow it down. One of the possible steps was castration (lack of testosterone helps shrink the prostate) and since we had already decided not to breed him we were inclined to go ahead with that one. Diesel stayed overnight yesterday because he was going to need to go back today anyway and our vet is about 30 miles away and I had to work last night so rather than driving him back out again I chose to give him to the doc for the night.

Blood work this morning pointed to infection as the cause, with treatment being more anti-biotic meds at about $80, and Dr. Bill wanted to keep him for observation one more night to make sure he reacted to the meds in the appropriate manner so he's there until tomorrow. He was also due for his annual shots so he got those today as well. Between two overnight stays, blood work, meds, shots etc etc I think the bill is going to be around $300 again when we pick him up tomorrow - and we'll probably end up taking him back in a month for a follow-up and get his nuts chopped then (at around $200) because the doc thinks it's a good idea anyway...

If he's fine afterwards it will be worth every penny...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Metroid » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:56 am

Man Imc that's rough, hopefully it's nothing serious and he's back to normal soon. ;-D

The money part never bothers me with my dog, it's always their health that comes first....shoot Ginger has better medical coverage than I do. :-B
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby lmcjaho » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:52 am

Metroid wrote:Man Imc that's rough, hopefully it's nothing serious and he's back to normal soon. ;-D

The money part never bothers me with my dog, it's always their health that comes first....shoot Ginger has better medical coverage than I do. :-B

Just got off the phone with the doc, he's coming home today ;-D

He's responding well to the meds apparently because he's pooping now, eating his food (last night) and urine is almost back to normal...

Not sure what it cost yet - will find that out when I get there I guess - and normally the cost wouldn't be a big deal for me either but the timing absolutely sucks this time. Just dropped a couple hundo on my Charger last week for a full tune-up (change spark plugs, oil, filters, the whole nine yards) and then Saturday night pulling into the parking lot at work my wife had the transmission blow on her/my Neon (cost unknown as yet, but probably an arm and a leg), plus this month I have over $650 in registration fees due for the two cars (over and above the standard bills for the month) :-°
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby lmcjaho » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:20 pm

Well, today's bill was $400. He has meds that he needs to take 2 pills twice daily for the next week that made up about half that cost...

We have to take him back in 7 days for a follow up - and he didn't get his annual shots as part of that price either, so that'll be another $76 plus...

But, he looks a lot better already, and he peed and pooped normally when we picked him up, so at least the meds seem to be working (he had two shots of the stuff in high-concentrated formula while he was there). ;-D
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:44 am

Put my dog Carlie down yesterday evening. Very difficult... :,-(

Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:19 am

:-/ Sorry man, that's really sad news. :,-(
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Nfl Fan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:36 am

Dang... sorry ORS. That totally sucks. How's your kid and wife doing? How are YOU doing?
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:33 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:Dang... sorry ORS. That totally sucks. How's your kid and wife doing? How are YOU doing?

I probably handled it the worst since she was basically my dog, followed me around everywhere. She didn't really like women very much, so she rarely listened to my wife. She was always great with the kid from when he was a baby on up. Very tolerant. And you know how little kids treat a dog. :-° She just always took it, but always looked at me with these "why are you letting him do this to me?" eyes. The kid's doing well with it, as much as can be expected. We prepped him pretty good for it. We knew it was coming so we've been discussing it for a while. Still very hard though.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby dream_017 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:52 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Nfl Fan wrote:Dang... sorry ORS. That totally sucks. How's your kid and wife doing? How are YOU doing?

I probably handled it the worst since she was basically my dog, followed me around everywhere. She didn't really like women very much, so she rarely listened to my wife. She was always great with the kid from when he was a baby on up. Very tolerant. And you know how little kids treat a dog. :-° She just always took it, but always looked at me with these "why are you letting him do this to me?" eyes. The kid's doing well with it, as much as can be expected. We prepped him pretty good for it. We knew it was coming so we've been discussing it for a while. Still very hard though.

Very sorry to hear the news ORS :,-(
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 55)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk