Man's best friend - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Man's best friend

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Man's best friend

Postby stomperrob » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:04 pm

Santacruzer wrote:Do you Show your dogs? Is that why you are concerned over the stature of a new one?

If it is not about Showing, then I think you have the other 2 main criteria straightened out; the quality of the Breeder, and the temperament.

Yeh, I want to keep open the option of showing - if I was taking a female it wouldn't be that critical but size is fairly important for the males. The father of these pups is only 80-85 lbs - my best Mal (and my first and favorite) weighed around 110 lbs in 1994 when he was #2 in all of Canada for that year. Of course those pups could turn out to be bigger than their dad - that first Mal of mine produced some big boys that dwarfed even him - be easier to tell once the pups are around 7-8 weeks (but still can't be positive of course).
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Santacruzer » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:48 pm

stomperrob wrote:
Santacruzer wrote:Do you Show your dogs? Is that why you are concerned over the stature of a new one?

If it is not about Showing, then I think you have the other 2 main criteria straightened out; the quality of the Breeder, and the temperament.

Yeh, I want to keep open the option of showing - if I was taking a female it wouldn't be that critical but size is fairly important for the males. The father of these pups is only 80-85 lbs - my best Mal (and my first and favorite) weighed around 110 lbs in 1994 when he was #2 in all of Canada for that year. Of course those pups could turn out to be bigger than their dad - that first Mal of mine produced some big boys that dwarfed even him - be easier to tell once the pups are around 7-8 weeks (but still can't be positive of course).

Yeah, that is important. A very tough decision indeed.

How is it with an non-neutered Malamute? Never off a leash/fenced yard? They have a desire to run at the best of times don't they? I can only imagine one with a purpose!?!

edit - I just checked the CKC Breed standard out of curiosity, and it list the males as 85lbs (females at 75lbs), so you shouldn't be deterred by papa's size. The frown upon being too big as much as too little don't they?
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby stomperrob » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:38 pm

Santacruzer wrote:
stomperrob wrote:

Yeah, that is important. A very tough decision indeed.

How is it with an non-neutered Malamute? Never off a leash/fenced yard? They have a desire to run at the best of times don't they? I can only imagine one with a purpose!?!

edit - I just checked the CKC Breed standard out of curiosity, and it list the males as 85lbs (females at 75lbs), so you shouldn't be deterred by papa's size. The frown upon being too big as much as too little don't they?

The breed standard is pretty old - most males now are closer to the 100 lb mark - because they are in the working group and meant for pulling heavy sleds (as opposed to speed) they are supposed to judged on that basis - however, there are people breeding monstrous Mals, 150 lbs and even larger and these are not acceptable and you won't see them in the show ring, these dogs grow up to have joint problems and shorter life spans in many cases, no serious Mal breeder would ever get involved with these.

I've had Mals with all different kinds of personalities - my first Mal would never wander or run away, in fact we moved to an acreage for the latter stages of his life and he roamed free outdoors 24/7 for the last 2 years of his life and he never took off. Also he had an obedience title and could always be walked off leash. I've had others that would wander but always come back - they're nowhere near as bad as Siberian Huskies for taking off which I've also had experience with. Some Mals are pretty mellow and low key while others are hyper and always getting into mischief. Mals tend not to like other dogs though but are great with people, especially kids.
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Santacruzer » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:12 am

My Elkhound would run at the drop of a hat! Basically chalked up to the Nordic breed type behavior. He would come back whenever it worked but, he loved people so much, they wound up taking him in the two times he got away (more than a run just up the street).

Once, when he was about 9 weeks old, the collar we had was still a little big for him he slipped his head out. He looked down at the collar, up to me holding the leash not attached to him anymore, down at the collar, back up at me with a spark in his eye that he knew he was free. He took off like a bat out of hell!

The first time he got away, we were in one of the off-leash dog parks in Calgary practicing one of the training methods for off-leash/sticking around. Basically your to let him get ahead with a little distance, then you duck and hide, so that the puppy panics when it turns around with you not in sight - or so it's supposed to go. Nope. He turns, notices we aren't there, and bolts! Freedom! He went to one of the neighboring houses, started to play with the kids, their dog, their neighbors kids, etc. Happy as a clam. They kept him overnight, and turned him into the pound the next morning. The second time he got away was from our yard - the Meter reader left the side gate open. Basically the same result, but just around the block from us.

Elkhounds have the same temperament - great with people, and especially kids, but not so great with other dogs (supposedly by both males and females, and most issues with the same sex). I can see where it would be an issue because our Elkhound was very friendly, and very friendly with other dogs to the point where he was pushy about it. Never one to start a fight, elevate a fight, or even get in a fight, but he would sometimes get other dominant breeds a little uptight with his incessant sniffing and playfulness.

Neighborhood kids (before ours)

Yes, I know. A life jacket on a Dog!?! He loved the water. To a point. That point was to the bottom of his chest. Basically he liked to wade. Hated to swim (he is a barrel chested breed, and I've heard while some can and do like to swim, most don't because they're not built/balanced to). But he loved to be in the canoe. We weren't sure how much he would panic being out in middle of the lake, especially if he ended up in the water out there.
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby stomperrob » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:50 am

Santacruzer wrote:Yes, I know. A life jacket on a Dog!?! He loved the water. To a point. That point was to the bottom of his chest. Basically he liked to wade. Hated to swim (he is a barrel chested breed, and I've heard while some can and do like to swim, most don't because they're not built/balanced to). But he loved to be in the canoe. We weren't sure how much he would panic being out in middle of the lake, especially if he ended up in the water out there.

Great pics!

Lol, yeh my old guy loved the water too - he was a good swimmer (being a northern breed, Mals have webbed feet for walking on snow which also makes them great swimmers) but he didn't really like it, he just loved wading up to chest level. Used to live a block from Carburn Park in Calgary and even in the winter down to about -20C he would go in the river wading all the time.
stomperrob

Postby stomperrob » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:45 pm

Update - my breeder made me an offer I couln't refuse - a "twofer" - I ended up taking a female Mal from this litter (drove up to his place last Sunday to pick her up - 712 km round-trip!) and I will still be getting a male puppy from him early in the new year (it will be coming from New York). The only pic I have of the female is from when she was 5 weeks old - she's 10 weeks old now and I have to get the lates pics developed (still haven't entered the digital age, lol). She is an incredible little puppy - great personality and a real sweetheart!!!

stomperrob

Postby bobbing_headz » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:50 pm

stomperrob wrote:Update - my breeder made me an offer I couln't refuse - a "twofer" - I ended up taking a female Mal from this litter (drove up to his place last Sunday to pick her up - 712 km round-trip!) and I will still be getting a male puppy from him early in the new year (it will be coming from New York). The only pic I have of the female is from when she was 5 weeks old - she's 10 weeks old now and I have to get the lates pics developed (still haven't entered the digital age, lol). She is an incredible little puppy - great personality and a real sweetheart!!!

Wow, so cute!! O:-)
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:03 pm

that dog is ridiculously cute... i spent the first 20 years of my life with elkhounds and i loved your previous pics. I have a basset now and really want an elkhound. However, I have hardwood floors and they shed like they get paid to do so...

That mal is so adorable, congratz on the new dog...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby moonhead » Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:42 pm

dirka dirka had to go to the emergency clinic today. her playmate hit her in the eye and it was swollen shut. she is still there getting some care. :,-(
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Guru13 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:45 pm

well I certainly hope Dirka gets better and hopefully it won't be a factor later in life. A couple years ago when we were on vacation our dog (pics soon) had to go into surgery, a bigger dog tore up here front leg, and it was really scary, so I know the feeling. :-o
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk