Man's best friend - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Man's best friend

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Man's best friend

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:07 pm

Metroid wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Met, guess what? Great news. <drumroll> Haha. Full blooded pits can now be adopted at our Humane Society. Big step. They have to pass the same aggression tests as any other dog, but that's the thing, they're finally being treated as any other dog.

That is awesome! They really should get the same chance for adoption as any other breed. ;-D

Definitely. And wouldn't you know it, it didn't take long before a family down the street got themselves a pit puppy. ;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:15 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Metroid wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Met, guess what? Great news. <drumroll> Haha. Full blooded pits can now be adopted at our Humane Society. Big step. They have to pass the same aggression tests as any other dog, but that's the thing, they're finally being treated as any other dog.

That is awesome! They really should get the same chance for adoption as any other breed. ;-D

Definitely. And wouldn't you know it, it didn't take long before a family down the street got themselves a pit puppy. ;-D

Nice. One thing I would say to anyone who does choose to get a pit pup is that even though they are pretty much like any other dog, they do require a different kind of care. But really no different than the care you would take with any large breed, or aggressive breed dog, like Rotts, Chows, Dobermans, etc. They are great with people and kids but they can be, and usually are, animal aggressive. They need to be heavily socialized when they're young, and have good training. Otherwise they are wonderful dogs. Here's to the family having a great time with the new pup! ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby urbanbreez » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:22 pm

Warning: what they say about pittbulls is true.

They chew on socks and shoes without mercy and won't feel bad about it afterwards.

I'm looking at my bluenose pitt puppy (9 months) right now and she's about the goofiest dork of a loveable hound i've ever seen. :-b
urbanbreez
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:30 pm

urbanbreez wrote:Warning: what they say about pittbulls is true.

They chew on socks and shoes without mercy and won't feel bad about it afterwards.

I'm looking at my bluenose pitt puppy (9 months) right now and she's about the goofiest dork of a loveable hound i've ever seen. :-b

lol....so true.

Quick funny story. My girl and I were out shopping and went to the Vans store and both got a new pair of shoes. We came home, she left her new shoes at home, I wore mine out to the pub for lunch. We came back home to find Ginger had destroyed her new shoes. I felt bad for her and said I'd take her to get a new pair, while we were out getting her new shoes wouldn't you know it....Ginger ate my new pair of shoes. :-[ :-b
Metroid

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:32 pm

I still have a pair of checkered Vans in my closet. B-)
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby urbanbreez » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:35 pm

lol!

Yeah, that sounds about right. They love chewing on shoes and shoe type things. I've lost more than a pack of socks I'm sure. But it's well worth it. :-)
urbanbreez
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:43 pm

scottaa1 wrote:I still have a pair of checkered Vans in my closet. B-)

Awesome, no laces I hope. :-)

urbanbreez wrote:lol!

Yeah, that sounds about right. They love chewing on shoes and shoe type things. I've lost more than a pack of socks I'm sure. But it's well worth it. :-)

I was able to break Ginger of shoe chewing pretty easily. Actually she was really easy to train, I got lucky with her. The hardest thing to break her of was jumping up on people, she still slips sometimes and she's almost 11. :-[ :-b
Metroid

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:12 pm

Metroid wrote:Nice. One thing I would say to anyone who does choose to get a pit pup is that even though they are pretty much like any other dog, they do require a different kind of care. But really no different than the care you would take with any large breed, or aggressive breed dog, like Rotts, Chows, Dobermans, etc. They are great with people and kids but they can be, and usually are, animal aggressive. They need to be heavily socialized when they're young, and have good training. Otherwise they are wonderful dogs. Here's to the family having a great time with the new pup! ;-D

Rotts, yes, definitely. Grew up with one who was 150 pounds. Just massive and we were advised to socialize him. We did and he was the biggest teddy bear you could imagine (I mean, besides a real bear). I have quite a few stories of his affections, just a great dog. But they have so many damn health issues, it was really sad how young he went. Great dog and great breed though, but one you certainly have to spend time working with. Like you should with any breed, as you said.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:15 pm

Metroid wrote:I was able to break Ginger of shoe chewing pretty easily. Actually she was really easy to train, I got lucky with her. The hardest thing to break her of was jumping up on people, she still slips sometimes and she's almost 11. :-[ :-b

Definitely something to work on with dogs, but me personally, I don't mind, I kind of like it when a dog gets up like that. So I don't have to strain my old man back to pet her. :-D :-B !+)
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby lmcjaho » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:39 am

I just wish I could train my Rotts that:

• Daddy's toes are not for stepping on, and when he shouts those obscenities when you do it doesn't mean he's happy and wants you to do it again
  • Ramming daddy in the back of his gimpy knee when you run down the hallway is not a good thing either
  • Leaving your (multiple) bones on the floor in an obstacle course fashion for daddy to trip over/stub his toes on when he gets up in the middle of the night to take a leak is not as funny as you think it is
  • Last but not least, and this is for the 130lb male - you have a dog-bed that mommy shelled out some pretty decent coin for and we KNOW you like it, so please sleep in it instead of lying across whatever doorway is most likely to cause daddy to trip over your fat *ss in the dark and take a header into the nearest wall !+)
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk