Man's best friend - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Man's best friend

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Man's best friend

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:45 pm

Hope he continues to do well NFL Fan. ;-D I've added a dog of my own (10 lb. miniature dachshund named Bash) since I was last around here and I can't imagine what my wife and I would do if something happened to him!

joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Nfl Fan » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:11 pm

Well guys. I haven't been around here much, but we put Buster down Monday. It has been one of the most heartbreaking things we have ever endured.

We love you Buster. Your life touched so many. We miss you and we will never forget all the love and joy you have brought us.

Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:16 pm

Very sad to hear this NFL. Sucks. But wonderful memories you'll always have. RIP Buster.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Nfl Fan » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:41 pm

Thanks buddy. It's harder than I thought it would be. :,-(

Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby dream_017 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:14 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:Thanks buddy. It's harder than I thought it would be. :,-(

Sorry to hear bud. Not to be a downer, but it doesn't get too much better. I've tried to stay out of this thread, because it brings back too many memories, we had to put Roscoe dowwn back in May :,-( - it was the hardest decision and still gets me emotional. :~( We have since got another dog that we love but I still can't believe that my dog is gone. We had a dog when I was young, but I don't remember too much about her I think I was 3 when she was put down, but Roscoe was my dog - I got him when he was a puppy once I moved out and had him for the last 12 years. Hang in there and hope you do better than I have done.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby Nfl Fan » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:13 pm

Dream, I appreciate the dose of reality. NOTHING will ever replace Buster. We're just going to have to work through the pain. I told my wife a few moments ago that the pain we feel is a reflection of the love we shared.

He was a great dog, and he will live on in our hearts. :,-(

Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Metroid » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:13 am

So sorry to hear buddy. Hang in there man. :,-(

And sorry to you too dream....ugh. I know I'll be there with you guys sooner than later. Ginger is a little over 12. She gets around really good still and most people still think she's a young dog, when people ask I tell them to guess, no one ever says more that 6 or 7. Still, she is winding down. I keep saying that she's going to set a record though and be the oldest pit bull ever to have lived! :-)

Here's a recent pic of Ginger playing with a "friend" on the coast.

Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Nfl Fan » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:37 am

Metroid wrote:So sorry to hear buddy. Hang in there man. :,-(

And sorry to you too dream....ugh. I know I'll be there with you guys sooner than later. Ginger is a little over 12. She gets around really good still and most people still think she's a young dog, when people ask I tell them to guess, no one ever says more that 6 or 7. Still, she is winding down. I keep saying that she's going to set a record though and be the oldest pit bull ever to have lived! :-)

Here's a recent pic of Ginger playing with a "friend" on the coast.

Yeah.... Ginger helps you pick up chicks. ;-)

I can't believe she is 12 already. They say that loved dogs live longer. Both our Boxers outlived the average, but they were well loved as well. Met, when Gingers day comes (and I hope it's a very long way off) I wish for you a quick and natural end like Rocky a few years ago. Let me tell you, it is SO MUCH EASIER than the decision and act of carrying your dear friend on a one-way trip into the vet. It was just brutal, but Buster was so far gone and sufferring so much that we just had to.

OK. Gotta get before I start bawling here at work again... :~(

Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby lmcjaho » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:24 pm

Diesel at the vet. Not great prognosis so far.

$575 visit Monday. We left with ten days of antibiotics while we waited on two blood tests. Doc suspects he has kidney issues which may or may not be treatable. Also suspects possible thyroid problem (hence the second blood test). Diabetes which was our other possibility was ruled out (unfortunately since it's much easier to treat for than the kidney problem).

Tuesday morning, blood test results came back:

Thyroid problem? Check. Apparently one of the worst cases our vet has seen, this is the reason for his problems with his coat (you can see in the pic that his coat is very grey/brown instead of black as it used to be) and his lack of energy. Also most likely culprit for his loss of weight/muscle mass - from a high of 145lbs a couple years back (not fat) he is down to 118lbs today. Treatable with medication, full recovery expected.

Unfortunately, Kidney Problem - also check. The test does not indicate whether it is an infection, partial failure, or complete failure. If infection is the cause, the current course of antibiotics he is on should help and urine tests next week will give us an idea of whether or not he is improving. If so, he should be okay. If not, it's not treatable and his time is short.

More tests needed in a week to see how he responds to antibiotics. If good results he gets another ten days of antibiotics and a good chance at recovery. If not, kidney failure which is pretty much untreatable. :-/ :,-(
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Nfl Fan » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:14 pm

Buster riding shotgun in the SL about two weeks before he died...

Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk