Tarik Glenn (Colts Left Tackle) - Retiring - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Tarik Glenn (Colts Left Tackle) - Retiring

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Tarik Glenn (Colts Left Tackle) - Retiring

Postby stomperrob » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:08 pm

Definitely tough to replace a Pro Bowl'er like that (although it is still unconfirmed at this point). And with him becoming an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season, he could have gotten some mega-bucks offers for next year!
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:27 pm

I really don't have the "sky is falling" mentality over this. Though it's a year early, it was expected to happen very soon and the Colts like what they have in Charlie Johnson and the aforementioned Ugoh. We'll see. Could be big hit, but it could also work out for Ugoh to get more experience and step up his game early.

Of course, if Peyton gets hit too much, Jim Sorgi might be a nice fantasy backup. :-o
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:10 pm

Honestly, Im not sure why everyone thinks Ugoh would become the starting left tackle. Even if that's what they drafted him for would it not make sense to move their quality right tackle Ryan Diem to left tackle instead and give Ugoh a year to adjust to the NFL?
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby steelerfan513 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:35 am

maddog60 wrote:Honestly, Im not sure why everyone thinks Ugoh would become the starting left tackle. Even if that's what they drafted him for would it not make sense to move their quality right tackle Ryan Diem to left tackle instead and give Ugoh a year to adjust to the NFL?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2944430

Colts' LT Glenn walking away with year left on deal
ESPN.com news services

Indianapolis Colts left tackle Tarik Glenn has informed the team he will retire and will not report for training camp, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Saturday.

A Colts' teammate told Mortensen, "[Glenn] just feels burned out. It's that simple."

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reported that Colts coach Tony Dungy had spoken to Glenn about his decision and there could be further discussions about with Glenn about his playing future.

Glenn has been a mainstay on the Colts' offensive line for 10 years and been a key to the excellent pass protection afforded quarterback Peyton Manning.

There had been speculation that Glenn, 31, and entering the final year of his contract, might be floating the retirement scenario as motivation for the Colts to offer a contract extension. But sources said the veteran offensive lineman was very serious in his deliberations about leaving the game as a Super Bowl champion.

Glenn is scheduled to earn a base salary of $4.5 million in 2007.

Glenn's departure would create a huge void for the Colts just a week before the start of training camp. There are no other accomplished left tackles on the Indianapolis roster and few quality veterans remaining among the free agents who are still looking for work.

Indianapolis chose Tony Ugoh in the second round of this year's draft, sending their 2008 first-round pick to San Francisco to move into position to select the former Arkansas star. But it is not believed he is ready to start. In fact, the plan was to use Ugoh primarily at guard this season, and groom him to eventually replace Glenn, perhaps as early as 2008.

Second-year veteran Charles Johnson, a sixth-round choice in 2006, has played some at left tackle, but lined up more often on the right side. Starting right tackle Ryan Diem struggles at times in pass protection, so switching him to the left side likely would not be an option.

There were apparently no indications earlier in the spring that Glenn, the Colts' first-round choice in the 1997 draft, was thinking of retiring. He participated in the offseason program and was at the team's mandatory minicamp.

A former University of California star, Glenn has appeared in 154 games for the Colts, all as a starter. The last 138 of those starts all came at left tackle. Glenn has missed just six games in his career, all in 2003.

That's what ESPN says, but that may just be an opinion.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:20 am

i'm starting to wonder if he's just "retiring" so he doesnt have to deal with training camp
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:45 pm

I hope that he is just posturing to avoid two-a-days, but retirement isn't a ploy normally used.
So if the pass protection is substantially weakened does that lead to the Colts running more? Something Dungy has prolly longed to do for so long.
If the Colts run more will Addai be able to stand up the an even bigger increase in his workload? If so he is a going to be a stud. Or does this mean that De De Dorsey(?) will get to split the workload?
And what of Wayne and Harrison's value?
Dang, headaches are back again!

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby stomperrob » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:43 pm

Tarik speaks out:

July 25, 2007

Colts' Glenn retires
Glenn: It's 'right decision'
Pro Bowl tackle realizes his zeal for game was waning

By Mike Chappell
mailto:mike.chappell@indystar.com

What had been stirring inside Tarik Glenn the past three months and continued to grow in intensity became a reality Tuesday evening.

The Indianapolis Colts' veteran left offensive tackle, a franchise cornerstone since 1997 and quarterback Peyton Manning's backside protector the past nine seasons, made official his retirement that had first been reported last week.

"It's been an emotional time for me and my family,'' said Glenn, who was joined at a news conference by his wife, Maya, and one of the couple's young children, "but at the same time we're confident we're making the right decision.''

What's the reason for walking away when, at age 31, he likely still can play at a high level? Glenn appeared in his third Pro Bowl in February, just a week after helping the Colts defeat the Chicago Bears in Super Bowl XLI.

While participating in the team's offseason conditioning program in early May, Glenn came to realize he no longer had a strong desire to do what it took to prepare for another season.

"I began to feel like I was going through the motions,'' he said.

After returning to his offseason home in California, Glenn decided "my passion and desires had begun to diminish and I began to heavily consider retirement,'' he said.

He talked with owner Jim Irsay, team president Bill Polian and coach Tony Dungy. He shared his inner feelings with teammates Jeff Saturday, Manning and others.

Nothing changed.

"I hate the fact I feel the way I feel,'' Glenn said.

Irsay and Polian were on hand for Glenn's going-away news conference. Each made it clear the Colts won't be the same without No. 78 in the locker room and on the playing field.

"It's hard to replace a player of Tarik's ability and all the other contributions he's made,'' Polian said.

Polian noted the team always felt confident with Glenn anchoring Manning's protection. The Colts seldom gave Glenn blocking help with a tight end or running back when he faced one of the league's top pass rushers.

"Hey, 78 was out there every week come hell or high water and he was going to do his job to the best of his ability,'' Polian said. "And that vast majority of the time, he won the battle every week.

"That's the story of Tarik Glenn's career.''

Glenn met with Irsay for approximately three hours Monday night to discuss Glenn's plan to retire. The nature of the conversation was to make certain Glenn was doing the right thing, not to talk him into returning for the '07 season.

"I just wanted to ask him a lot of different questions and make sure he was doing this for the right reason and he was certain about it,'' Irsay said.

"After we finished talking, I could tell he was.''

Glenn, who would have been an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season, will be placed on the NFL's reserve-retired list before the team reports to Terre Haute on Sunday for the start of training camp; the team will receive a roster exemption. He will turn his back on his $4.5 million base salary, which the team will gain in relief under the salary cap, but apparently will not immediately file his retirement papers with the league office.

That leaves the door ajar, however slightly, for a return at some point should the fire return to Glenn's belly. The retirement, Polian said, "is not irrevocable.''

"All I know is this is how I feel right now,'' Glenn said. "I can't go into the future and predict how I'll feel about it.

"Man, I'm going to miss this team. I'm going to miss this locker room. I'm going to just miss this whole experience.''

And vice versa.

"He will be missed,'' Irsay said.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Phokus » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:17 pm

I read a training camp report that Tony Ugoh is getting schooled badly at LT.
My league: 14 teams, 1 QB, 2 RB's, 3 WR's, 1 Flex WR/RB, 1 TE, 1 Kicker, 1 Defense. 6 Bench players.
Phokus
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Football Talk