Who to Pick at #9? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Who to Pick at #9?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who to Pick at #9?

Postby Decleater » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:06 pm

I'm in a 10 team redraft league and last week found out I've got the 9th spot in a serpentine draft. So, that being said, I'd have the 1-9, 2-12, 3-29, 4-32, 5-49, 6-52 etc. etc.
Our roster is as follows:
1-QB, 2-RB, 2-WR/TE, 1-K, 1-D/ST....AND one flex player of any kind except a K or D/ST. I feel this flex spot changes the dynamic quite a bit!
Scoring:
1pt.- 20 yds rush/receive
1pt.- 50 yds pass
1pt.- sack, extra point
2pt.- 2 pt. conversion, sack, int, fumble recovery
3pt.- Field goal, over 50 yards=5pts.
4pt.- Touchdown throw
6pt.- Rushing, receiving, defensive/special teams touchdowns
With all that being said, who should I take with my first 3 picks? I usually go RB, RB, WR. This year thinking RB, WR, QB or RB, QB, WR. Who do you think would be there in those first 4 spots where I see it being quite critical to set up the "core" of my team. Get the most bang for my buck! Historically in the first round Manning has gone within the first 7 picks. So, that should leave me the top 8th back at my spot I'd imagine. What you think?
Decleater
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Who to Pick at #9?

Postby stomperrob » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:33 pm

I would still take RB's with my first two picks - ya always want 2 stud RB's on your team and you're probably not gonna find one with the 29th pick. QB's are not gonna be at a premium with only one starter per team and only 10 teams - that's only 10 starters so you're gonna get a top 10 QB even grabbing one late. I would still stick with the fairly standard draft of RB, RB, WR, WR, QB - after that I would go by the talent left on the board (best player available), leaving D & K until towards the end ( and remember not to waste picks by drafting 2 Defenses or 2 Kickers).

For some great drafting tips, read this post:
viewtopic.php?t=329323
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 177)

Postby Atog » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:42 pm

I'd go RB/RB/WR or even RB/RB/RB. At 9th in a snake draft you can get two quality starters, and a good WR in the third. Your league's settings make RBs/WRs even more valuable than QBs than usual.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Decleater » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:23 pm

This might also help.

Teams consists of: 2-QBs; 4-RBs; 5-WR\TEs; 2-Ks; 2-DEF\STs; 1-Wild Card Player (any position)
Starting Lineups consist of: 1-QB; 2-RBs; 2-W/TEs; 1-K; 1-DEF\ST; 1-Flex Player.

So, we have to have 2-D/ST and 2-K no matter what. I usually get a 5th RB, since someone may go down at some point. Wouldn't the option of starting another QB put a premium on them? I mean, historically you can get around 15-20 pts in this scoring system week to week, where another WR could totally bomb and get you 1-6 pts many weeks. A RB could bomb as well and get you 6-12 normally week to week.
Decleater
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby stomperrob » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:46 pm

Decleater wrote:This might also help.

Teams consists of: 2-QBs; 4-RBs; 5-WR\TEs; 2-Ks; 2-DEF\STs; 1-Wild Card Player (any position)
Starting Lineups consist of: 1-QB; 2-RBs; 2-W/TEs; 1-K; 1-DEF\ST; 1-Flex Player.

So, we have to have 2-D/ST and 2-K no matter what. I usually get a 5th RB, since someone may go down at some point. Wouldn't the option of starting another QB put a premium on them? I mean, historically you can get around 15-20 pts in this scoring system week to week, where another WR could totally bomb and get you 1-6 pts many weeks. A RB could bomb as well and get you 6-12 normally week to week.

As you say, it's good to get extra RB's - they can get hurt, or they make good trade bait. As for the option of starting another QB, if there's a good one available then grab him but since you can start any player in that spot, what you are looking for when you draft is the best player available, regardless of position.

I really don't like the fact that your league dictates the fact that you have to draft a certain number at each position - that really takes a lot of the strategy out the game. Owners should be allowed to use their own distinct methods and preferences, not follow some rigid guidelines that force everyone to do exactly the same thing - kinda takes the fun out of it to my way of thinking!

Good luck. ;-D
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Decleater » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:06 pm

Yeah, kinda ropes you into wasting two picks on a K and D/ST, but I guess it's that way for a reason....bye weeks. Don't see it being that big of a hastle, since I usually have 2 QB, 5 RB and 5 WR/TE that makes up my 16 spot total roster. Just, since now we could be looking at starting 2 QB with the flex position, might actually do away with that extra RB or WR (leaning towards not getting another RB since they are so lean after Rnd 5-6) and getting another QB who could pick up 10-15 pts easy. What y'all think then?

This is something the league started last year and has everyone grabbing a top flight QB pretty early, whereas I wouldn't normally be worried about a QB till round 6-7 usually. Definitely a disparity between the tier 2-3 QB's.
Decleater
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby stomperrob » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:11 am

Yeh, but the bye week is not really a good justification for carrying an extra K & D, especially if your bye isn't until weeks 8-10. Usually you can always find a K on waivers almost as good as yours and the same goes for D's or at least by that time you have a WR or RB on your roster who's turned out to be a dud that you don't mind dumping.

But as to the second part of your question, as long as you've got 4 solid RB's there's nothing wrong with grabbing 2 solid QB's with your format. I never draft P Manning 'cause he always goes too early for my liking, but I usually try and grab one of Palmer, Brees, Brady, Bulger, McNabb or Rivers as my QB1 - if for some reason I don't get one of those, I make sure I get 2 really solid lower ranked QB's.

But also keep an eye on training camp - some surprises at RB may turn up!
stomperrob

Postby Decleater » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:24 pm

Oh no doubt! This next month will definitely tell the tale. I just love this time of year! Still summer, training camps begin. Ahhhhh. Hahahaha. ;-D Yeah, I've got a couple "sleeper" picks at RB I'm targeting this season who I believe will perform well above their ADP. That being said, do I still go RB/RB with my first two picks? Or RB/WR/QB? I know, all depends on who's there at those spots yadda yadda yadda, but I see the RB's being pretty thin this season. People are thinking WR is thin, but you ALWAYS find them on the waiver wire and they are spotty at best after the top 6 anyhow.
Decleater
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby stomperrob » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:04 pm

Decleater wrote:Oh no doubt! This next month will definitely tell the tale. I just love this time of year! Still summer, training camps begin. Ahhhhh. Hahahaha. ;-D Yeah, I've got a couple "sleeper" picks at RB I'm targeting this season who I believe will perform well above their ADP. That being said, do I still go RB/RB with my first two picks? Or RB/WR/QB? I know, all depends on who's there at those spots yadda yadda yadda, but I see the RB's being pretty thin this season. People are thinking WR is thin, but you ALWAYS find them on the waiver wire and they are spotty at best after the top 6 anyhow.

Yeh, one sleeper RB I've been targeting in my early drafts is Brandon Jackson of the Packers - some at the Cafe aren't big on him but I think he has a good shot at stealing the sarting job away from Morency at some point, if not in training camp, at least in the first month or so of the regular season. Most of my serious teams don't draft until the end of August, but I always like to draft a few early teams. The problem with drafting right now is that there are too many question marks at RB on some teams (like Car, Ten, GB, Min, Det and Oak) that won't be sorted out until training camp ends (or in some cases until sometime during the season), so it's really important to get RB's in these early drafts!

I did a draft last night where we have to start 2 QB's and I went RB, RB, WR, QB, WR with my first 5 picks (I was lucky enough to first pick for the first time in forever, lol!) - I got:
L Tomlinson
W McGahee
S Smith
M Hasselbeck
A Johnson
stomperrob

Postby Decleater » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:43 pm

I have never had a draft this early in the preseason....I won't! There's just no way of gauging a thing now. Look at all the poor peeps who are gonna be stuck with the likes of Vick, LJ, and perhaps Bulger. Out of all of those, I believe Bulger will get a deal and be good to go.

L Tomlinson
W McGahee
S Smith
M Hasselbeck
A Johnson

Not too bad for a first round pick. Obviously serpentine....but how many? 10-12 teamer? That's the bad part about picking on the bottom half I've found....most of the RB's are gone, unless you find your "sleeper" such as DeAngelo Williams or Brandon Jackson. I believe both are going to totally rock! So, I think if you draft on the bottom of a 10 teamer, should always be RB/WR/QB! That way, you afford yourself 3 total studs at three different positions....there's still plenty of WR out there to be had, then just pick and choose value from there on out.
Decleater
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Beginner's Forum