Who to Pick at #9? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Who to Pick at #9?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Who to Pick at #9?

Postby stomperrob » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:32 pm

Decleater wrote:I have never had a draft this early in the preseason....I won't! There's just no way of gauging a thing now. Look at all the poor peeps who are gonna be stuck with the likes of Vick, LJ, and perhaps Bulger. Out of all of those, I believe Bulger will get a deal and be good to go.

L Tomlinson
W McGahee
S Smith
M Hasselbeck
A Johnson

Not too bad for a first round pick. Obviously serpentine....but how many? 10-12 teamer? That's the bad part about picking on the bottom half I've found....most of the RB's are gone, unless you find your "sleeper" such as DeAngelo Williams or Brandon Jackson. I believe both are going to totally rock! So, I think if you draft on the bottom of a 10 teamer, should always be RB/WR/QB! That way, you afford yourself 3 total studs at three different positions....there's still plenty of WR out there to be had, then just pick and choose value from there on out.

Yeh, the only reason I like to do a few early drafts is because it is such a crapshoot - what I am doing is betting I know who the starters and sleepers are better than the other owners, so it just adds that little extra challenge to the game which makes it kinda fun.

Williams will be good - the only concern is whether Foster still shares too much of the workload (but his days may be numbered).

Yeh the draft I did was a 10 team serpentine, std Yahoo scoring, some guys went a little heavy on the QB's early since we start 2 (and of course everyone wanted at least 3). Actually if you draft at the end of a 10 teamer, that is the time to go RB, RB because that will be the bottom end of the good ones and there won't be any more really solid ones later - with the 10th and 11th pick you can get 2 solid RB's which you won't get later - with the 30th and 31st pick when your turn finally rolls around again there will still be solid WR's and QB's available.

I've never drafted Vick anyway, too streaky - get ya 30 pts one week and 5 the next. I'm not worried about Bulger at all, I'm sure that will resolve itself - LJ is a little riskier, but considering how little he is paid compared to other RB's and how big a part of KC's offense he is, I can't see them not wanting him to be happy, although that may take a while to settle, but he doesn't need to worry about missing a little training camp time anyway.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Decleater » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:03 pm

Yeah, I'm definitely going to have to go RB RB at the 1-9, 2-12 spots. Then, most likely go WR, WR at the 2-29 and 3-32. Might even go WR, RB just to get "value" there. I just hate that the flex can be a QB because that may cause me to have to grab that QB during the 4th or 5th round where I normally would wait till the 6th or even 7th.
Decleater
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:51 pm

Decleater wrote:Yeah, I'm definitely going to have to go RB RB at the 1-9, 2-12 spots. Then, most likely go WR, WR at the 2-29 and 3-32. Might even go WR, RB just to get "value" there. I just hate that the flex can be a QB because that may cause me to have to grab that QB during the 4th or 5th round where I normally would wait till the 6th or even 7th.

Well, if ya end up grabbing a QB early, just make sure ya grab some good young WR's with some upside in the later rounds - guys like Vincent Jackson (SD), Bernard Berrian (Chi), and Brandon Jones (Ten) to name a few that I've been targeting.
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Decleater » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:06 pm

I know what you mean, but you can't hang your hat on those "sleepers" really. I've been fortunate to find them for some reason, but they are usually a year out from having a truely breakout season. Picked up Gore last season with my 15th pick in an 8 teamer. Was decent, but not someone I could start week to week having Jackson and FWP in my backfield already. Picked up MJD on waivers and he was a nice addition! ;-D What do you think he'll do this season? Where have you seen him in mocks so far?

I think you're in my head in your way of thinking though! I too have Vincent Jackson and Bernard Berrian on my radar! I think Berrian will go before Jackson since he did pretty decent last season, but again, was a year out from his true breakout campaign. Jackson really intrigues me for sure. Rivers has to have someone to make the deep play on WR and I'm thinking he's it. Can't keep relying on Gates forever! Also looking at DJ Hackett a bit and Reggie Brown to blow it up for sure!

On RB I'm looking for DeAngello Williams to get 'er done and Brandon Jackson to get the duties in GB.
Decleater
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:12 pm

Decleater wrote:I know what you mean, but you can't hang your hat on those "sleepers" really. I've been fortunate to find them for some reason, but they are usually a year out from having a truely breakout season. Picked up Gore last season with my 15th pick in an 8 teamer. Was decent, but not someone I could start week to week having Jackson and FWP in my backfield already. Picked up MJD on waivers and he was a nice addition! ;-D What do you think he'll do this season? Where have you seen him in mocks so far?

I think you're in my head in your way of thinking though! I too have Vincent Jackson and Bernard Berrian on my radar! I think Berrian will go before Jackson since he did pretty decent last season, but again, was a year out from his true breakout campaign. Jackson really intrigues me for sure. Rivers has to have someone to make the deep play on WR and I'm thinking he's it. Can't keep relying on Gates forever! Also looking at DJ Hackett a bit and Reggie Brown to blow it up for sure!

On RB I'm looking for DeAngello Williams to get 'er done and Brandon Jackson to get the duties in GB.

No, those WR's are guys I look for on my bench as potential breakout candidates to backup my starters. MJD is kinda all over the map - some think Taylor will see a little more action this year but I don't know why he would with what MJD did last year - some think MJD is too small but I don't buy that. I've been seeing MJD going in the 2nd round in several drafts (which I think is a little early). Reggie Brown will be good but everyone is high on him with a healthy McNabb so he's going early. Some guys think Hackett is the one to grab in Seattle, others (like me) are betting on Branch.
stomperrob

Postby Decleater » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:41 pm

Exactly! By saying, "on my radar" means I'm keeping an eye out for those guys as backup players to solidify my team....not starters dude! Hahahaha! It's kinda nice to find that breakout player late in the draft that someone passed up on, but you had him penciled in that spot, or thereabouts. Makes you feel kinda giddy inside! LOL! Yeah, Mojo Drew was an absolute STUD with barely 160+ touches on the ground. I can't believe the Jags won't give him more opportunities even though they resigned Fraud Taylor for 3 more years. Big deal! He's on the wrong side of 30 for a RB, AND it is an ODD year....keep that in mind!
Decleater
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Beginner's Forum