Ahh, Remember When Steve Smith was a 6th Rd Pick back in '05 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ahh, Remember When Steve Smith was a 6th Rd Pick back in '05

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Ahh, Remember When Steve Smith was a 6th Rd Pick back in '05

Postby Crippler » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:40 pm

I took Steve Smith AND Michael Clayton that year...kinda had opposite expectations from them but I was very happy in the end :-)

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:41 pm

I like Mark Clayton this year to step up quite a bit, and could be an upper tier WR. Also Hines Ward. His numbers suffered greatly last season due to QB injuries and O scheme. Both could be corrected this season and the emergence of Santonio Holmes could open up the field for Ward. I say this because I see Ward being undervalued in too many drafts. If Grossman focuses on the game and stays healthy Berrian could really come on. More of a sleeper than a Smithian breakout type. Braylon Edwards if the Brownies can find a decent QB. Too much skill not to be able to break free for a long pass a few times a month.
Just a couple of the top of my head.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Axl's Army » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:41 pm

Good insightful stuff. i now have the cajones to draft darrell jackson. never would have considered him otherwise

Yo Mama is so fat . . .
Axl's Army
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby bagobonez » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:06 am

moochman wrote:I like Mark Clayton this year to step up quite a bit, and could be an upper tier WR. Also Hines Ward. His numbers suffered greatly last season due to QB injuries and O scheme. Both could be corrected this season and the emergence of Santonio Holmes could open up the field for Ward. I say this because I see Ward being undervalued in too many drafts. If Grossman focuses on the game and stays healthy Berrian could really come on. More of a sleeper than a Smithian breakout type. Braylon Edwards if the Brownies can find a decent QB. Too much skill not to be able to break free for a long pass a few times a month.

Guys like Ward always have a low ceiling though because of how much Pitt runs the ball. I know they're supposed to loosen the offense up some under Mike Tomlin, but you know they're still going to be a run first team. Ward's not the kind of guy to put up a 1,300 yard season. 1,000 yards is more like it, and his TD totals usually hover around 5 or 6. I'm starting to think the 11 TD season he had a while back was an anomaly, but at least he showed the potential for it.

Mark CLayton's in the same boat, the Baltimore O is too conservative.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:13 am

Steve Smith vaulted to the top when Muhammad left town. We all saw Muhammad dominate the previous year, so it kind of made sense to realize that the situation was ripe for a very strong WR.

Take an already good WR and add something or take something away, and you could be looking at a stud.

This year, the "next Steve Smith" will be Andre Johnson. The guy has done surprising well for being in such a horrible situation his entire career. His QB dinked and dinked, ran up his O-line's butt, and broke sack records. Johnson was constantly doubled and even tripled. Yet he still racked up the catches and yards with some pretty poor throws to boot. This year, with a change at QB, the potential there is enormous. Just look at his first half split last year in a backasswords situation and just imagine if Schaub can come in and produce like a real NFL QB.

Kitna -> Roy Williams
Schaub -> Andre Johnson
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby moochman » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:09 pm

bagobonez wrote:
moochman wrote:I like Mark Clayton this year to step up quite a bit, and could be an upper tier WR. Also Hines Ward. His numbers suffered greatly last season due to QB injuries and O scheme. Both could be corrected this season and the emergence of Santonio Holmes could open up the field for Ward. I say this because I see Ward being undervalued in too many drafts. If Grossman focuses on the game and stays healthy Berrian could really come on. More of a sleeper than a Smithian breakout type. Braylon Edwards if the Brownies can find a decent QB. Too much skill not to be able to break free for a long pass a few times a month.

Guys like Ward always have a low ceiling though because of how much Pitt runs the ball. I know they're supposed to loosen the offense up some under Mike Tomlin, but you know they're still going to be a run first team. Ward's not the kind of guy to put up a 1,300 yard season. 1,000 yards is more like it, and his TD totals usually hover around 5 or 6. I'm starting to think the 11 TD season he had a while back was an anomaly, but at least he showed the potential for it.

Mark CLayton's in the same boat, the Baltimore O is too conservative.

I'll give you that the Ravens O is conservative, but how wide open is the Panthers O? They are a run first team who had one WR much more talented than his co-horts. With Mason on the decline it would now seem there is a bigger chasm between Clayton's talent level and the rest.
Ward had injury issues, both his and Big Ben's. They are going to go with 3-4 WR sets more often which will open up the field for Ward. His dropoff the last couple years means his draft slotting is low enough to make him a possible S Smith bargain. IMO

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Previous

Return to Football Talk