"Handcuffing" Bush and McAllister - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

"Handcuffing" Bush and McAllister

Moderator: Football Moderators

"Handcuffing" Bush and McAllister

Postby BrewCrew6 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:26 am

So, picking from #11, alot of mocks I have done have put me in a situation to take Reggie Bush at the end of round 1 (our league scoring favors him, i feel, but that is beside the point). Then, often by round 3/4 when it gets back to me, I have McAllister as the best RB left by a decent margin and usually take him, but Im not sure how I feel about it:

Pros-- If one were to get hurt, the other one should get a bump in value with more touches. Also, McAllister could be great trade bait later on and depth is good. I think the value with him at 4.02 is too good to pass up.

Cons -- Obviously, it hurts on bye weeks as it doesnt leave me with a bye week fill in. I don't usually worry "too" much about this, but in this instance, I wonder if any value I get from taking McAllister at 4.02 is lost by having to take a 4th running back relatively soon enough after to have a bye week fill in.
BrewCrew6
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: "Handcuffing" Bush and McAllister

Postby bobbing_headz » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:50 am

McAllister at 4.02 is not bad. He's usually going around there so it's not that much of a reach, not much of a steal either though. I personally don't like the pick that much myself but I don't have him ranked that high. As long as Benson and TJones are gone (I'm pretty certain they will be). I wouldn't worry about bye week fill-ins when drafting too much. Just go for where the value is.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:56 am

i think its fine. and in theory, you probably can play both of them anyway. It's not usually a good idea, but in 2003, it was totally viable to play Staley and Westbrook at the same time. I think this tandem is totally viable both as a handcuff and a regular contributor.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Azrael » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:56 am

I think they are too expensive to draft on the same team. Spend a 1st and 4th rounder on 2 guys that split time on the same team sounds like suicide to me.

1. You are effectively getting the production of 1 really good back out of 2 guys combined.

2. If you aren't playing Deuce it's a waste of a 4th round pick.

3. If NO has a bad game offensively you can basically chalk that up as a loss for you considering you may be hurting for a decent 2nd WR and probably QB that is among the bottom starters in the league like a Romo, Hasselbeck, Young, Cutler, Leinart. Sure you may find that a Calvin Johnson or Mark Clayton that ends up being a quality starter for you or you may find that Romo or Leinart produces like a top 6 QB instead of a top 10 QB but the chances of hitting both jackpots are slim. And what if you bust on both of these? Then you are really in trouble.

You will need your less certain picks to pick up the slack for voids you created earlier in the draft by picking both Bush and Deuce.
Last edited by Azrael on Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Azrael » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:05 pm

eaglesrule wrote:i think its fine. and in theory, you probably can play both of them anyway. It's not usually a good idea, but in 2003, it was totally viable to play Staley and Westbrook at the same time. I think this tandem is totally viable both as a handcuff and a regular contributor.

Staley ane Westbrook were not 1st and (early) 4th round picks. I don't know what they were exactly. Staley was maybe a 3rd rounder. Westbrook had not done anything yet and probably was a later round steal that year.

I don't think Deuce is bad value in the 4th. I just don't like that them both on the same real team and fantasy team for how high of the picks you have to spend on them.

You are effectively getting MVP running back #'s (Holmes, LT, Faulk) out of 2 guys. I don't see much upside from what they did last year. They produced over 2,500 yards, 18 scores, and caught 120 balls. Maybe the TDs could go up a little but how much more production do you expect to get out of that position. It's like having LT and nobody as your 2nd back.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby bagobonez » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:11 pm

I'd probably shy away from the situation. I think Bush is going to get a larger role this year and McAllister's going to be slowly fazed out. I do still think McAllister will get the red zone touches, however, but Deuce has shown himself to be a tad injury prone, and if he misses any time at all Reggie Bush will be a gold mine. Of course this all depends on what WR's are available to you in rounds 3/4. If it's total crap, you may go ahead and take Deuce, but there are usually some pretty quality WR's left towards the end of round 4. After that, you're left with the 900 yard, 6 TD type of WR's.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:13 pm

Azrael wrote:
eaglesrule wrote:i think its fine. and in theory, you probably can play both of them anyway. It's not usually a good idea, but in 2003, it was totally viable to play Staley and Westbrook at the same time. I think this tandem is totally viable both as a handcuff and a regular contributor.

Staley ane Westbrook were not 1st and (early) 4th round picks. I don't know what they were exactly. Staley was maybe a 3rd rounder. Westbrook had not done anything yet and probably was a later round steal that year.

I know, sorry I got lazy because I was tired of typing. Just pointing out that if it was viable to play both then, it's almost a good idea this year, since you can play them both at the same time, and be insured too. Sorry for the inapt analogy

I don't think Deuce is bad value in the 4th. I just don't like that them both on the same real team and fantasy team for how high of the picks you have to spend on them.

You are effectively getting MVP running back #'s (Holmes, LT, Faulk) out of 2 guys. I don't see much upside from what they did last year. They produced over 2,500 yards, 18 scores, and caught 120 balls. Maybe the TDs could go up a little but how much more production do you expect to get out of that position. It's like having LT and nobody as your 2nd back.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby PMoneyTKE » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:24 pm

I don't think i'd draft them both, because you'd either play them both and risk a bad offensive game from NO, or play one and sit the other which can lead to many frustrating days of having one of them blow up while sitting on your bench...Just too much to give up for such a frustrating situation IMO...
Boobies
PMoneyTKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Timbathia » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:49 pm

If you are playing in a league with a flex then taking Deuce in the 4th is a great idea. Put him with Bush and the other back you took at the start of the second, then add in the WR at the end of the 3rd and you are off to a great start.

I can not condone taking a WR at the start of the second and then taking Deuce as your #2 RB in the 4th. That looks like trouble to me.
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby bobbing_headz » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:34 am

I wouldn't necessarily agree with everyone who says that it'd be bad to have them both because you'd never start them. Last year my two top RBs were non-existent and I ended up with the Jones-Drew/Taylor combo. Mind you it was PPR. I had McGahee but he was injured half the time. I ended up playing the both of them a couple weeks and they were money. I'm not saying that NO has or will have that same type of game going but it's similar. Really Deuce and Bush have completely different games. Bush is gonna get hella lots of catches and receiving yards with moderate rushing totals and very few rushing TDs. Deuce on the other hand is gonna probably put up decent yardage (better than Bush) and lots of TDs. While it's not as good as starting an LT or SJax, you could do a whole lot worse with 2 RBs.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk