Path cleared for Jerious Norwood - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Path cleared for Jerious Norwood

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Path cleared for Jerious Norwood

Postby Bjorne Greece » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:40 pm

well before this news I was guessing that they'd split the carries 60/40 in favor of Dunn. I think there is a chance (and it's up to Norwood) for it to go 60/40 the other way. Dunn won't miss much regular season time, but a back injury is still something that will slow down his progress in the offense.

Since we haven't seen much of Norwood, and because w/o Vick, the D's will focus on their running game, I'd have Norwood as a #3 back on a fantasy team, but I wouldn't be totally comfortable having him as a starter.
Bjorne Greece
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby stomperrob » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:03 pm

Even before this news a lot of people were saying that Petrino favors the power rushing game and that would see him giving Norwood more work.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby PapaPark » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:10 pm

Warrick is Dunn.

Sorry - I had to.
PapaPark
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby biju » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:49 pm

stomperrob wrote:Even before this news a lot of people were saying that Petrino favors the power rushing game and that would see him giving Norwood more work.

How does this favor Norwood? He's 5' 11" and 203 lbs according to CBS. So unless he's put on 20 pounds of muscle I would say this really favors Jason Snelling who is also 5' 11" however 232 lbs. I was wondering if he might take some goalline snaps away from Dunn (who's really rather good at short yardage for being a little guy), but now I've got to think he's going to just become a straight up vulture. Preseason will probably indicate this more, but for you early drafters be wary of exactly what this does to Norwood's value. He could see 60% of the yardage, but only between the 20s.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby stomperrob » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:22 pm

biju wrote:
stomperrob wrote:Even before this news a lot of people were saying that Petrino favors the power rushing game and that would see him giving Norwood more work.

How does this favor Norwood? He's 5' 11" and 203 lbs according to CBS. So unless he's put on 20 pounds of muscle I would say this really favors Jason Snelling who is also 5' 11" however 232 lbs. I was wondering if he might take some goalline snaps away from Dunn (who's really rather good at short yardage for being a little guy), but now I've got to think he's going to just become a straight up vulture. Preseason will probably indicate this more, but for you early drafters be wary of exactly what this does to Norwood's value. He could see 60% of the yardage, but only between the 20s.

Well it would definitely give him the edge over 5'9" 180 lb Dunn. Snelling has yet to prove himself, but we'll see how things shake out in training camp and pre-season.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby biju » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:49 pm

stomperrob wrote:
biju wrote:

Well it would definitely give him the edge over 5'9" 180 lb Dunn. Snelling has yet to prove himself, but we'll see how things shake out in training camp and pre-season.

I certainly agree that Snelling has a long way to go before seeing any significant touches, but again if I were drafting Norwood based on Dunn's surgery it might be wise to consider the possibility of someone else taking the goal line snaps as well.

As a side note, with Vick out of the picture at least they are going to get them. Last year they'd just have Vick drop back and then run it in if he found the room. Wasn't too good for the Atlanta RBs last year.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby biju » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:51 pm

Just read this off sportsline:

CBS Sportsline wrote:In an interview with CBS SportsLine, Falcons coach Bobby Petrino said that he hopes Snelling can handle the short yardage and goal-line work for the Falcons in 2007. "He started off a little slow in minicamp but got better each day and was starting to see things and make some cuts," Petrino said of Snelling. "He'd be a cross between a big running back and play some fullback. And he's got really good hands, so he's a very valuable part of the puzzle." Snelling could end up being a goal-line plunger in the mold of T.J. Duckett or Brandon Jacobs circa 2006. Consider him with a final-round flier in the deepest of Fantasy leagues this summer.

8-o
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dawinner127 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:26 pm

I think 6 weeks is to short of a time. One of my cousin's who is 28 had a herniated disk in his spine and he can still bairly throw a baseball or a football (I know that Dunn just has to run), but he had it about 10 weeks ago and is just starting to be able to throw and have more mobility.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby Crippler » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:29 pm

Dawinner127 wrote:I think 6 weeks is to short of a time. One of my cousin's who is 28 had a herniated disk in his spine and he can still bairly throw a baseball or a football (I know that Dunn just has to run), but he had it about 10 weeks ago and is just starting to be able to throw and have more mobility.

No offense to your cousin, but Dunn is one tough cookie. I can see him rehabbing hardcore and coming back in time. Maybe not 100% but close to it. Oh, and those million-dollar doctors help too.

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby dgan » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:29 pm

Obviously, I think the impact this has on Norwood's fantasy stock depends on how high you were on him to begin with. I probably had him rated higher than most...so I'm not going to move him hardly at all. But those who were down on him now really have no excuse to continue to be. It's his job for the taking which means he's as good as most other backs lifted in short yardage situations. I really don't know how you can be down on Norwood now...

Well....other than the fact that the Falcons are shaping up to be a royal mess...but other than that... ;-)
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk