Path cleared for Jerious Norwood - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Path cleared for Jerious Norwood

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Path cleared for Jerious Norwood

Postby Timbathia » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:43 pm

Crippler wrote:
Dawinner127 wrote:I think 6 weeks is to short of a time. One of my cousin's who is 28 had a herniated disk in his spine and he can still bairly throw a baseball or a football (I know that Dunn just has to run), but he had it about 10 weeks ago and is just starting to be able to throw and have more mobility.

No offense to your cousin, but Dunn is one tough cookie. I can see him rehabbing hardcore and coming back in time. Maybe not 100% but close to it. Oh, and those million-dollar doctors help too.

Yeah, it amazing what having an on-call physical therapist, acupuncturist, masseur and conditioning/strengthening coach will do for your rehab.

The Falcons are a mess and rapidly approaching the Raiders for "lowest ADP for their first drafted FF player".
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby sublimeandy » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:08 am

snelling as a td vulture concerns me. i might be moving norwood right back to where i had him before all this came out.
sublimeandy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:46 am

Congrats to all those that jumped on the Norwood wagon early. Now as Norwood's ADP increases, I think we will see Warrick Dunn become the real value.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby BlueBandit24 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:48 am

biju wrote:
stomperrob wrote:Even before this news a lot of people were saying that Petrino favors the power rushing game and that would see him giving Norwood more work.

How does this favor Norwood? He's 5' 11" and 203 lbs according to CBS. So unless he's put on 20 pounds of muscle I would say this really favors Jason Snelling who is also 5' 11" however 232 lbs. I was wondering if he might take some goalline snaps away from Dunn (who's really rather good at short yardage for being a little guy), but now I've got to think he's going to just become a straight up vulture. Preseason will probably indicate this more, but for you early drafters be wary of exactly what this does to Norwood's value. He could see 60% of the yardage, but only between the 20s.

Norwood has reportedly added 10 lbs of muscle this off-season. While he's certainly not a big back, 5'11 and 213 certainly doesn't qualify him as a small back and it gives him almost 35 pounds on Dunn. Snelling may still be the goal-line back for the Falcons, but Norwood's biggest TD potential is likely the long run or big play that he showed in spurts last year. If he does earn carries at the stripe, he could be an excellent value pick.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby biju » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:37 am

BlueBandit24 wrote:
biju wrote:
stomperrob wrote:Even before this news a lot of people were saying that Petrino favors the power rushing game and that would see him giving Norwood more work.

How does this favor Norwood? He's 5' 11" and 203 lbs according to CBS. So unless he's put on 20 pounds of muscle I would say this really favors Jason Snelling who is also 5' 11" however 232 lbs. I was wondering if he might take some goalline snaps away from Dunn (who's really rather good at short yardage for being a little guy), but now I've got to think he's going to just become a straight up vulture. Preseason will probably indicate this more, but for you early drafters be wary of exactly what this does to Norwood's value. He could see 60% of the yardage, but only between the 20s.

Norwood has reportedly added 10 lbs of muscle this off-season. While he's certainly not a big back, 5'11 and 213 certainly doesn't qualify him as a small back and it gives him almost 35 pounds on Dunn. Snelling may still be the goal-line back for the Falcons, but Norwood's biggest TD potential is likely the long run or big play that he showed in spurts last year. If he does earn carries at the stripe, he could be an excellent value pick.

Adding more weight is good, but as you said before, Norwood's potential was based off the "homerun" ability. Will the extra weight slow him down? Furthermore, if he's toting the rock more will he be too winded to take it to the house like he did last year?

Again, I'm not necessarily against the idea of Norwood being a great back, but until I see it I'm skeptical. I think that while he could have been a good value before this news, he's going to be overvalued now and probably not worth the draft pick I'd have to use to get him.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby BlueBandit24 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:52 pm

biju wrote: Again, I'm not necessarily against the idea of Norwood being a great back, but until I see it I'm skeptical. I think that while he could have been a good value before this news, he's going to be overvalued now and probably not worth the draft pick I'd have to use to get him.

That's true. If he is starting to be drafted under the assumption that he is the starter and workhorse for the Falcons, it's possible that he could really get overvalued. He looks like a real big risk/reward guy this year.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:09 pm

From today's paper - Atlanta in the market for another RB?:

Dunn sidelined 3-4 weeks after surgery

By STEVE WYCHE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/26/07

The news keeps getting worse for the Falcons.

Starting tailback Warrick Dunn had back surgery July 21 for a herniated disc and could be sidelined from three to four weeks. He is expected to return for the regular season.

"After [offseason training activities], I felt some discomfort in my back and legs that just never subsided," Dunn said in a statement released by the team. "After consulting with the medical staff, it was recommended that we have the surgery. The doctors told me that the discomfort would have lingered throughout the 2007 season had we not had the surgery, so I felt like this was the best course of action for me."

The loss of Dunn, who has surpassed 1,000 yards rushing the past three seasons, leaves Atlanta with just one-third of its projected starting backfield entering training camp Thursday.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, on Monday, exiled quarterback Michael Vick from the team until the league completes an investigation as to whether Vick violated the player conduct policy by being federally indicted on felony charges related to dogfighting last week. Vick will be in a Richmond court today to appear at bond and arraignment hearings.

In a positive development, outside linebacker Demorrio Williams was cleared to practice Thursday, weeks earlier than projected following offseason surgery to repair a torn pectoral muscle. Williams' participation in training camp will be monitored but he has been cleared to take part in most drills, the Falcons said.

Second-year tailback Jerious Norwood will assume the starting job for now. Norwood, a game-breaker who averaged 6.4 yards per carry as a rookie last season, was projected to have a bigger role in the offense before Dunn's surgery.

Whether Norwood will permanently trump the 32-year-old Dunn as the starter will be determined over the course training camp. Norwood drew positive reviews from new coach Bobby Petrino and the coaching staff during the offseason.

Though Dunn, who rushed for 1,140 yards last season — the second most of his career — is expected to be back for the regular season, the Falcons' lack of depth at tailback through preseason likely will prompt the signing of a free agent to compete during training camp. Journeyman Jamal Robertson and rookie Jason Snelling are the only other tailbacks on the roster.

At some point during the preseason, Atlanta was going to explore signing a veteran tailback for the No. 3 job because of the inexperience of players on the roster and concerns about the durability of Dunn and Norwood. Dunn was limited in offseason workouts following shoulder surgery to repair damage to his rotator cuff earlier this year. Norwood was sidelined for two games last season with a knee sprain.

In other news, the Falcons signed nose tackle Trey Lewis, a sixth-round draft pick, to a four-year contract.

source:
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sport ... 6dunn.html
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby theimitator » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:33 pm

Anyone know what Norwood's hands are like?

Assuming Joey takes the helm, and with a new HC and all, I'm inclined to think that the ATL RBs will see alot of short, dump passes.

Vick's demise could do more for Norwood than Dunn's (assuming both Falcons are cooked).
14 Team w/FLX .5PPR
The Porkchop Express
QB: Carson Palmer, Vince Young
RB: Maurice Jones-Drew, Matt Forte, Reggie Bush, Tim Hightower
WR: Greg Jennings, Anquan Boldin, Terrell Owens, Jabar Gaffney
TE: John Carlson, Ben Watson
PK: R Gould
TD: NO, TB
theimitator
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby doublej73 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:27 pm

Any chance the Falcons make a run for Corey Dillon?
doublej73
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Timbathia » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:58 pm

doublej73 wrote:Any chance the Falcons make a run for Corey Dillon?

Larry Johnson anyone?
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk