Keeper league help - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Keeper league help

Moderator: Football Moderators

Keeper league help

Postby suirad » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:19 pm

This is the first year that we will be keeping players from last year. Here are the basic keeper rules that I am considering. Anything wrong with any of these rules? Please keep in mind that we have 7 "keeper" managers and 3 new managers.

- 0-2 keepers, each keeper forfeits a draft pick. So if you keep two, you don't pick til your spot in the third round. Rookies and those who keep zero (likely one or two who will do that) will be the only ones to pick in the first round. No limits on which players can be kept.
- Keepers announced a week prior to draft.
- Keepers can be switched between announcement and draft for injury, jail issues.
- Draft is 16 round serpentine, randomly assigned. Rookies don't get any draft advantage.

Anything I left out or should change? I'm most interested in getting advice about how to assign draft positions, if I need to do anything beyond what I've stated above. I want the rookies to have a chance, which I think they will, since the keepers can only keep 2. Thanks.
suirad
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Keeper league help

Postby dream_017 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:19 am

Was this discussed prior to teh draft last season? Why would there be rookie owners in a 2nd year of a keeper league?

As for the questions, I would have the first 3 rounds NFL style, then start serpentine. Also, draft order should be based on last years final standings.

I would need more clarification on owners and how this rookie thing happened to give better answers.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby suirad » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:45 am

We had only 8 teams last year because some people moved away, and one person has moved away this year, with three new people wanting in. So that's the reason for the rookie teams. Yes, everyone knew before last year's draft about becoming a keeper league.

Interesting idea regarding an NFL style draft for 3 rounds. So would you not forfeit any draft picks for each keeper kept?
suirad
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby dream_017 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:50 am

suirad wrote:We had only 8 teams last year because some people moved away, and one person has moved away this year, with three new people wanting in. So that's the reason for the rookie teams. Yes, everyone knew before last year's draft about becoming a keeper league.

Interesting idea regarding an NFL style draft for 3 rounds. So would you not forfeit any draft picks for each keeper kept?

Yes, you would still forfeit rounds based on the number of keepers.

Just my opinion, but with that much turnover from year 1 to year 2, I think it would be best to start from scratch again. If everyone agrees to your set-up then go at it, but I'm not sure it is the best way to start the early years of a keeper league.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby suirad » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:12 am

I agree, but we've been postponing starting it for a couple years now because people keep quitting or moving away. Everyone has agreed to it, and I am trying to make it as fair to everyone as possible.

So with the NFL-style draft, would you put the rookies first?
suirad
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby suirad » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:20 am

I have a bit of a conflict of interest, since I won it last year and I have Stephen Jackson and Addai as my likely keepers this year. But I also have to let go of Jones-Drew, Harrison, Holt, Boldin, Gates, Bulger, Ronnie Brown, and Portis. That's why I limited it to a maximum of 2 keepers, so that I wouldn't be too stocked. Plenty of great players left for the draft, since we only had 8 teams last year. If I'm not picking til the third round, everyone should have a pretty good shot at evening up their teams. Since my team is so loaded, people should feel comfortable that the draft will get them some good players.
suirad
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby dream_017 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:30 am

suirad wrote:I agree, but we've been postponing starting it for a couple years now because people keep quitting or moving away. Everyone has agreed to it, and I am trying to make it as fair to everyone as possible.

So with the NFL-style draft, would you put the rookies first?

Again, just my 2 cents, but if you have a problem with turnover, then a keeper league is probably not the best thing to venture into. Keeper and dynasty leagues are best for league with a consistant membership group.

As to the question, if adding teams, you should go through an expansion process, there is a thread already started on how to do that, then yes, they would also get the top two picks.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

Postby ironcityboy88 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:05 am

My concern is why are the people that are "moving away" not playing in the league? They still should have access to a computer wherever they are...unless they're doing peace corp stuff in Borneo. My ten team league has been together for quite a few years, and we have people in Germany, Washington State, Louisiana, Georgia, Indiana, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and Alburquerque, NM...that's what happens when you have buddies in the military. They've always either been at the draft in person or online, so just because someone "moves" doesn't mean that they can't be in the league unless you don't have an online website administering your league. Check with the other owners on how things ran last year, if there can be any improvements, etc, before the draft. Nothing is worse than having too much turnover from year to year. We've had a "waiting list" to get into the league for six years, with only one new owner since.
ironcityboy88
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby suirad » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:29 am

Half of the owners have not been die-hards, plus it is a free league. But I think that we are finally getting a more stable group of people. Two managers from last year moved away, but they are staying in the league.
suirad
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby ironcityboy88 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:38 am

suirad wrote:Half of the owners have not been die-hards, plus it is a free league. But I think that we are finally getting a more stable group of people. Two managers from last year moved away, but they are staying in the league.

That's the worst being a commissioner when you don't have die hard owners in your league. Now I feel for you a little bit, good to hear that you're getting some more fantasy football nuts in your league. You shouldn't have this problem again!
ironcityboy88
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner