Skill vs. Luck as relates to league size - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Skill vs. Luck as relates to league size

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Skill vs. Luck as relates to league size

Postby Crippler » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:40 pm

stomperrob wrote:I think the larger the league, the more skill comes into play. With more players being drafted, those late round picks become that much more important and those who know what they are doing will come out ahead - the talent pool gets pretty diluted at the end of a large draft so knowledge will be rewarded.

Bingo! Bigger league = less luck involved

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 17)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bungle613 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:47 pm

Azrael wrote:It takes skill to consistently make the playoffs. It takes luck to win a championship.

Love it. Couldn't agree more.

Now, I am lsightly biased as in my main dynasty league. 3 regular season titles with a combined record of 33-6 and I am 0-3 in the big game. Going for the Bills moniker this year.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:47 pm

I think the deeper the active rosters, the more skill is involved. If you play a league with only
QB
WR
WR
RB
TE
WR/RB
K
DEF

Each week will more often be decided by luck than in a config of
QB
WR
WR
RB
RB
TE
WR/RB
WR/RB
K
DEF

In the second case, depth is more important and having a solid roster from top to bottom can really pay off.
CBMGreatOne
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Lung » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:27 am

(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)

Postby dream_017 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:44 am

Here is what I get out of the article:

Azrael wrote:It takes skill to consistently make the playoffs. It takes luck to win a championship.

;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby bungle613 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:51 am

bungle613 wrote:

Love it. Couldn't agree more.

Now, I am lsightly biased as in my main dynasty league. 3 regular season titles with a combined record of 33-6 and I am 0-3 in the big game. Going for the Bills moniker this year.

Just for the record, after 3 2nd place finishes have won the last 2. So 5 years, 2 championships and 3 runner ups. There has to be some skill.

NOw, as for luck, I always knew it played a roll in this game but have seen 2 examples the last 2 years that blew my mind. Both competitive leagues, I believe both cafe leagues. 2 owners in 2 different leagues essentially went awol in say October or November. Never changed a lineup, made a move etc... for the final weeks of the season. They both won their respective leagues. Very frustrating to see this happen.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Lung » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:08 am

bungle613 wrote:NOw, as for luck, I always knew it played a roll in this game but have seen 2 examples the last 2 years that blew my mind. Both competitive leagues, I believe both cafe leagues. 2 owners in 2 different leagues essentially went awol in say October or November. Never changed a lineup, made a move etc... for the final weeks of the season. They both won their respective leagues. Very frustrating to see this happen.

That happened in 2007 in the Cafe Devil's Castle Dynasty League. maddog60 never changed his lineup after October. He kept winning games in November & December (even though his TE was out for the season) and beat me in the league championship.

If that doesn't show how much luck is involved, nothing does.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)

Postby bungle613 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:48 am

The Lung wrote:
bungle613 wrote:NOw, as for luck, I always knew it played a roll in this game but have seen 2 examples the last 2 years that blew my mind. Both competitive leagues, I believe both cafe leagues. 2 owners in 2 different leagues essentially went awol in say October or November. Never changed a lineup, made a move etc... for the final weeks of the season. They both won their respective leagues. Very frustrating to see this happen.

That happened in 2007 in the Cafe Devil's Castle Dynasty League. maddog60 never changed his lineup after October. He kept winning games in November & December (even though his TE was out for the season) and beat me in the league championship.

If that doesn't show how much luck is involved, nothing does.

Exactly, then add into that guys like LS2 or Flots actually winning leagues and you may as well just give up.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby joejlitz » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:29 am

stomperrob wrote:I think the larger the league, the more skill comes into play. With more players being drafted, those late round picks become that much more important and those who know what they are doing will come out ahead - the talent pool gets pretty diluted at the end of a large draft so knowledge will be rewarded.

x3 ;-D
As for Azrael's comment, I agree with that, too, but it doesn't address the originial question as it relates to the size of the league (unless we're saying that the statement applies to all leagues).

Incidentally, it's nice to see a FF thread in here not related to rosters and trades, etc.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby bucs83 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:38 am

I believe deeper roster + deeper bench = more skill.

The more teams in a league the more low-end players you need to know about. the more players that you have to start, the better your draft has to be.

ie. I had 3-4 solid RBs to start last year, some only had 2. They had no choice on who they were to start, if there were another 2 slots (wr/rb flex) my 3 and 4 would have killed there 3 and 4.
bucs83
Water Boy
Water Boy

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk