Titans sing WR Eric Moulds - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Titans sing WR Eric Moulds

Moderator: Football Moderators

Titans sing WR Eric Moulds

Postby Verdun Barbarians » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:05 am

Titans agree to terms with veteran WR Moulds
NFL.com wire reports

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (July 26, 2007) -- The Tennessee Titans agreed to terms with veteran receiver Eric Moulds, adding some needed experience to the roster for quarterback Vince Young.

"Eric is a proven and productive receiver in this league," general manager Mike Reinfeldt said in a statement. "He provides us a big target with sure hands and his veteran leadership is a valuable addition to our receiving corps."

The 11-year veteran spent 2006 with Houston after playing for Buffalo his first 10 seasons in the NFL. He has caught at least 67 passes in each of his last nine seasons, which is more than anyone caught for Tennessee in 2006.

With David Givens still recovering from a torn ACL, Moulds can help a receiving corps where Brandon Jones and Roydell Williams, a pair of draft picks going into their third season, currently are the projected starters.

"We got a lot of guys that are going to be good weapons but at the same time I think my job is to come in here and compete for a job and at the same time try to help those guys get better and help the team get better," Moulds told WZTV-TV in Nashville.

The 6-foot-2, 225-pound Moulds has started 149 of his 170 career games and has 732 career receptions for 9,653 yards and 49 touchdowns. He needs 347 yards receiving to become the 26th player in NFL history with 10,000 career yards.

Assistant coach Fred Graves, hired by the Titans earlier this year to coach the receivers, worked with Moulds from 2001-03. Moulds had a career-best 100 catches and 10 touchdowns in 2002.

That's an interesting developpement...
Verdun Barbarians
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Titans sing WR Eric Moulds

Postby sublimeandy » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:04 am

vince young has to throw the ball to someone, it might end up being moulds. i'm definitely moving brandon jones down my list.
sublimeandy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby aaawall91 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:15 am

I thought the Titans sang "We are the Titans, Mighty Mighty Titans" ?
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby mystykoekaki » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:50 am

This just in, "WR Eric Moulds" is climbing the billboard top 100!
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby moonhead » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:51 am

moulds = non factor. in my opinion. i wouldn't move jones down my list because of moulds. the dude is like 76 years old.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:18 am

It's a shame Givens has been so beaten up since he signed. He's the young version of Moulds. Now they have to settle for the decrepit version of him.

Tennessee is one of the dumbest drafting teams in the league IMO. They take all these 3rd and 4th round WRs year after year, keep them around but don't really concentrate on developing any one of them, and then they wonder why they are screwed at the position two years later and draft another WR in the 3rd.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby BALCOBOMBER » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:06 pm

Can you please send me the lyrics?
BALCOBOMBER
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:53 pm

Hmm - came down to contest between Moulds and Freddie Mitchell???

Thursday, 07/26/07

Titans add veteran receiver
Moulds impresses during workout

By PAUL KUHARSKY
Staff Writer

They weren't crazy about Eric Moulds in the spring, but the Titans did an about face Wednesday and agreed to a one-year deal with the 34-year-old receiver.

The team had long hoped to add veteran leadership at the position, where they are counting on threats to emerge from a group of seven draft picks brought in over the last three years.

Moulds impressed Titans officials at a workout Tuesday when he caught balls thrown by Rod Rutherford, a quarterback who played in the final season of NFL Europe. The team also looked at former Philadelphia Eagles receiver Freddie Mitchell as it searched for help at receiver and defensive end.

In 11 seasons, Moulds has played in 170 games and caught 732 passes for 9,653 yards and 49 touchdowns. The three-time Pro Bowler has more catches, yards and touchdowns than the six veteran receivers already on the Titans roster have combined.

"We worked him out, we talked to him, and that was very positive," Titans General Manager Mike Reinfeldt said. "And the more we came back to it we were looking for kind of a big target for Vince (Young), a guy who's been in big games, understands what the league is all about and understands defenses. The reality is he played 80 percent of the plays last year, started 16 games and was a productive guy."

Financial terms of the contract were unknown, but it certainly played in changing the Titans tenor. They had been lukewarm about Moulds in the spring, but a one-year deal gives them flexibility.

Not a lock

Should they like what they see from their young wide receivers and decide they don't have sufficient playing time for Moulds, the Titans could release him before the start of the regular season and would be off the hook for everything but his signing bonus. A similar scenario played out with Troy Edwards in 2005, though Edwards hardly had Moulds' resume and didn't join the team until late August, after training camp.

The 6-foot-2, 225-pound Moulds joined the Houston Texans in April 2006 in a trade from Buffalo, which got a fifth-round pick in exchange.

Meanwhile, with the start of training camp looming Friday, the Titans are still working on deals for their top three draft picks — first-rounder Michael Griffin (defensive back), second-rounder Chris Henry (running back) and third-rounder Paul Williams (receiver).

Close to deal

Reinfeldt said the team is "very close" to a deal with Williams, and he remains optimistic that all three will be ready to practice at 3:30 p.m. Friday.

"The first and second rounds have been slow, but we're making progress there," he said. "That's kind of the nature of how it has gone the last five or six years, a lot of things get done in the last two days. We're concerned, but at the same time we're optimistic we'll have everybody in on time."

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby TN_Titans_05 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:50 pm

I agree with you Kensat....with the exception of VY our drafting the last 4 or 5 years has sucked for the most part.

Im glad we took Moulds over Freddy. Mitchell thinks he far better than he truly is. :-t

C-H-A-M-P-I-O-N-S-H-I-P
TN_Titans_05
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk