Better Dynasty PPR RB Deangelo or Benson - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Better Dynasty PPR RB Deangelo or Benson

Moderator: Football Moderators

Better Dynasty PPR RB Deangelo or Benson

Postby trevisc » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:42 pm

Would you rather have Cedric Benson or the combo of Foster and Deangelo in a Dynasty league that gives 1pt per reception?

I was looking at some film and Cedric actually looks like he can catch the ball pretty well.
If this year wasn't much of a factor as far as production then who do you think makes the better RB for a dynasty team?
trevisc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Better Dynasty PPR RB Deangelo or Benson

Postby knapplc » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:08 pm

A single workhorse RB is far better than RBBC any day. It's not clear at all who the starter in Carolina will be, but early reports seem to show that it's Foster's job to lose. But with his injury history do you really take a chance on him, and if so do you have to ASSURE yourself that you get Williams as handcuff?

The waters are far too murky there for me. I'd take Benson any day over either Foster or Williams. That being said, I don't think Benson is really going to be all that involved in the passing game. Chicago really doesn't throw to the RB that much.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BlueBandit24 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:32 pm

Keep an eye on the situation in Carolina. If DeAngelo wins the job, which I think he will, then I like him more. He's got explosiveness and is a very good receiver out the backfield as he demonstrated in limited action last season. If Foster appears to still be in the picture and a split looks imminent, Benson becomes significantly more valuable. He's not noted for his receiving but the workload itself would make him a better option.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby biju » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:56 pm

As of right now, Benson is clearly the better option.

But even if Williams wins the job outright he's still going to split carries so I don't see more than 250 carries for the season. I think that would have him at somewhere between 1000 and 1050 yards on the season. Add in about 45 catches for about 300 yards. Total TDs somewhere around 9. I think that puts him right around the same level as Benson who I have at:

Rush: 1,250/11
Pass: 20/140/0

In other words, Benson is the safer pick IMO.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby PMoneyTKE » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:05 pm

Non-PPR the choice is clearly Benson, but PPR you have to go with Williams, he'll get a good amount of work this year and should have the job outright next year ;-D
Boobies
PMoneyTKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby biju » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:08 pm

biju wrote:As of right now, Benson is clearly the better option.

But even if Williams wins the job outright he's still going to split carries so I don't see more than 250 carries for the season. I think that would have him at somewhere between 1000 and 1050 yards on the season. Add in about 45 catches for about 300 yards. Total TDs somewhere around 9. I think that puts him right around the same level as Benson who I have at:

Rush: 1,250/11
Pass: 20/140/0

In other words, Benson is the safer pick IMO.

Doh! Didn't see the Dynasty part of the question before. With this in mind you need to consider where each players' team is heading. I'm not a fan of either team, but I would have to say that the Bears are clearly the up-and-coming team as opposed to the Panthers, who continue to fall downward in power rankings.

Williams might very well become the long term single back, but as long as Fox is coaching there will be some sort of split and possibly even a vulture back a la Stephen Davis.

On the other hand, Benson hasn't really proven much yet. I have him at 1,400 total yards but I also believe that could swing 300 yards in either direction. He could prove to be just a placeholder until the Bears make a move two years later to get that stud back they thought they had with Benson. But he could also become a very solid back and for now the Bears brass seems to believe in him, otherwise they would have re-signed Thomas Jones.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby J35J » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:20 pm

I like Benson a little more here as well. While I think both Carolina backs are better runners they are going to split carries and also carry more of an injury risk(Foster). Give me the guy with the job to himself.

I've got Benson down for
1300 rush yds
9 rush tds
20 receptions
125 rec yds
0 rec tds
J35J
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moonhead » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:44 pm

i figured i'd come in here and everyone would have koolaid all over their faces from deangelo. but, alas, everyone is saying benson. if you're drafting now, i wouldn't be surprised to see deangelo go before benson in the draft. in my estimation, based on how young deangelo is, and the fact that he appears to be a more explosive back than foster. personally, i think i'd rather have benson. the bears are going to be beating a lot of folks this year, and that means benson grinding out yards, as the bears like to do pounding the ball. ppr doesn't really mean much to me in this situation. neither strike me as prolific pass catchers. but both are capable. slight edge to deangelo. if you go with upside/ceiling deangelo is your man. but i believe the safer pick to be benson.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby bobbing_headz » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:48 pm

I'd still say Benson over Williams. This year Benson is better than Williams, not by much though. He'll get around half the number of receptions but his yardage/TD totals will make up for it. My problem with Williams is Foster. I really have no idea what the Panthers will do with him. Yes, he's somewhat injury prone but he's not old and if the duo work out well they may keep both in effect limiting Williams value.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:34 pm

Dynasty, so more than just this year matters, I'll take DeAngelo. I like Benson to become a quality RB, but DeAngelo has much better pass catching skills and he wasnt drafted for a RBBC. Foster has never materialized, and I wager by halfway through this season DeAngelo takes the reins.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk