Return to Football Talk

Curtis Martin pulls the pin

Moderator: Football Moderators

Curtis Martin pulls the pin

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:57 pm

No real surprise here - end of a great career:

Jets' Martin retires as NFL's No. 4 rusher 19 months after playing last game

Associated Press, Updated 7 minutes ago STORY TOOLS:

NEW YORK (AP) - New York Jets running back Curtis Martin, fourth on the NFL's career rushing list, announced his retirement Thursday - 19 months after playing his final game.

The five-time Pro Bowl selection acknowledged in January that he had probably played his last game because of a bone-on-bone right knee injury suffered during the 2005 season. Martin made the long-anticipated decision official - after months of rehabbing and deliberating - a day before the Jets begin training camp practices.

"I don't see this as a sad time," Martin said at a small, 45-minute news conference at the team's Manhattan offices, one of several stops on a whirlwind media tour. "Someone was just asking me if there's any moment in particular that sticks out as the best moment of my career, and I told them, 'Right now."'

Martin finished with 14,101 yards rushing in 11 active seasons, ranking behind only Emmitt Smith (18,355), Walter Payton (16,726) and Barry Sanders (15,269). His 3,518 carries are third on the NFL's career list, and his 90 rushing touchdowns rank him tied for 12th with Eric Dickerson. Martin was also a versatile offensive weapon throughout his career, catching 484 passes for 3,329 yards and 10 touchdowns.

"I've seen myself have one focus and maintained that focus, and at the end of the day, things turned out better than what I had even intended from the beginning," Martin said.

The Jets will honor Martin in a special ceremony before the beginning of the regular season. There is also growing sentiment that the team should retire Martin's No. 28 jersey.

"I think that would be great," Martin said with a big smile. "If that were to happen, I would like that."

Martin, always regarded as one of the classiest yet toughest players, has already moved on to the next phase of his life after football: He plans to become an NFL owner in the near future.

"I believe I've gotten a chance to understand the game from the ground up," said Martin, decked out in a sharp black suit and black and purple tie. "It's something that very few owners are able to do, simply because they're not privy to the intimacy of the locker rooms or the brotherhood of the players. I believe that I can bring something new, and something that I think could be better for the NFL overall."

Martin was hoping to announce specific plans Thursday, but hasn't finalized anything yet. He declined to reveal which teams he had spoken to, or if the Jets were one of them.

"It's something that I'm very excited about, and it looks good," he said.

Martin tore cartilage in his right knee in Week 2 against Miami in 2005, and aggravated the injury two games later against Baltimore. He played through the pain - typical of the toughness he displayed throughout his career - but ended his season after the Jets' 12th game.

It became a bone-on-bone injury when the damaged cartilage was surgically removed that December. His recovery was slow and the team placed him on the physically unable to perform list before training camp last summer so he could further rehabilitate the knee. They put him on injured reserve in November, ending his season - and ultimately, his career.

"When I realized that I wasn't going to recover the way I had hoped to, it's like my mind made that shift and I said, 'You know what? Unless a miraculous thing happens, I realized that this is the inevitable."'

While Martin was present during most team meetings last season and acted as a mentor to some of the younger players, including running back Leon Washington and Cedric Houston, he never played another down in the NFL.

"I don't have any regrets," Martin said. "I feel like I'm leaving this game exactly how I would want to. I know that I'm stubborn when it comes to football and I know that it would have to take something like this - and gratefully it's not too bad to where it's going to hinder the rest of my life where I'd need a wheelchair or cane, but from what I understand, had I went back on there on that field, that would have probably been the outcome of it."

Martin spent his first three seasons with New England, including being named the NFL's offensive rookie of the year in 1995. He came to the Jets as a restricted free agent in 1998 and became one of the most popular in team history.

His best year was his last healthy season in 2004, when he led the league with 1,697 yards rushing and tied Sanders' record with 10 straight 1,000-yard seasons to start a career.

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Curtis Martin pulls the pin

Postby knapplc » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:58 pm

Thanks for the memories, C-Mart.

See you in the Hall. ;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby WickedSmaat » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:59 pm

Heard him on the radio on the drive to work. Great player, great career, great person ;D I wish him luck in his future NFL endeavors ;D B-)
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby mystykoekaki » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:13 pm

Few years back when he posted the top RB numbers, he really helped me in my fantasy football playoffs. For that, I'm extremely thankful. Take care Curtis! ;-D
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby sox 06 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:27 pm

Great player and a definite Hall of Famer ;-D
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BlueBandit24 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:34 pm

Great career for C-Mart. Would have liked to see it end on a higher note, but it's a Hall of Fame career nonetheless. ;-D
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby PMoneyTKE » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:08 pm

WickedSmaat wrote:Heard him on the radio on the drive to work. Great player, great career, great person ;D I wish him luck in his future NFL endeavors ;D B-)

Couldn't have said it better myself ;-D
Boobies
PMoneyTKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby logan » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:28 pm

PMoneyTKE wrote:
WickedSmaat wrote:Heard him on the radio on the drive to work. Great player, great career, great person ;D I wish him luck in his future NFL endeavors ;D B-)

Couldn't have said it better myself ;-D

i'll triple that sentiment. ;-D
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby moochman » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:57 pm

Good luck and thanks C Mart. I enjoyed watching you play. Do it all type RB who you never had to wonder if he had anything left to offer. C Mart was a RBBC. ;-D ;-D ;-D

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby spodog » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:44 pm

mystykoekaki wrote:Few years back when he posted the top RB numbers, he really helped me in my fantasy football playoffs. For that, I'm extremely thankful. Take care Curtis! ;-D

Ditto. I think I drafted him in like the 6th round that year, and he really carried me. What a class guy, fewer of his type around anymore.

See ya in the broadcast booth, CMart!
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk