Bucs release Simeon Rice - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Bucs release Simeon Rice

Moderator: Football Moderators

Bucs release Simeon Rice

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:56 pm

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... 562&id=256

Bucs released DE Simeon Rice.

It's not exactly a shocker, as Rice was due to count over $10 million against the salary cap in 2007, far too much for a player his age (33) coming off a major shoulder surgery. He was reportedly unwilling to take a cut in pay and Rice already didn't hold up against the run. Gaines Adams should instantly move into the starting lineup at right end. Rice, who is second among active sackers with 121, should find well-paid work quickly if he's healthy.



I guess this means that Gaines Adams should have a more immediate impact in IDP leagues.
Image
Image
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Posts: 11906
Joined: 15 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Bucs release Simeon Rice

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:07 pm

gotta believe the Lions are on the phone with this guy right now
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 7054
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: being a fan of the worst franchise in the NFL

Re: Bucs release Simeon Rice

Postby bobbing_headz » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:17 pm

More
Buccaneers | Rice let go after he refused to take pay cut
Thu, 26 Jul 2007 16:58:49 -0700

Updating previous reports, Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have left the door open to a return of DE Simeon Rice, who was just released. However, that does not seem likely to happen. Contrary to previous reports, Rice met with the team and they asked him to take a pay cut. After he refused, the team cut ties with him.
Image
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 5602
Joined: 22 Jul 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: North of the Border

Re: Bucs release Simeon Rice

Postby Atog » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:41 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:gotta believe the Lions are on the phone with this guy right now


Fingers are crossed. He is old, but we need a pass rusher and Millen loves guys coming off of injuries. And the Marinelli-factor is huge.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 4660
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 11 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Ann Arbor

Re: Bucs release Simeon Rice

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:50 pm

Allen Said Rice Failed Physical

Posted July 26, 2007 by Anwar S. Richardson
Updated Jul 26, 2007 at 09:29 PM


CELEBRATION - Tampa Bay Buccaneers General Manger Bruce Allen said Simeon Rice was cut Thursday evening because he failed a physical.

Rice injured his left shoulder last season and had surgery, but according to team doctors, Rice was not ready to play. In an interview with Tribune reporter Ira Kaufman, Rice admitted he was not at 100 percent, but was befuddled and angry about his release.

Bucs linebacker Derrick Brooks was reportedly see walking Rice to his car after the release and was in tears.



Rice Reacts To Cut

Posted July 26, 2007 by Ira Kaufman
Updated Jul 26, 2007 at 07:48 PM


As usual, Simeon Rice was at no loss for words when asked about his release from the Bucs.

“The next step is to let my body heal up and then I’m gonna come back like a maniac,” said Rice, who was on his way to Chicago Thursday evening. “I’m an ageless wonder, and I want to play for someone who will respect me.

“I’m the most consistent thing they ever had over there in Tampa. I played two games more than I had to with one arm. I’m not right yet, but I’ll be right in three or four weeks.

“I know one thing: they got a lot of big shoes to fill right now in Tampa.”



source: http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/related/C546/
Image
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13579
(Past Year: 138)
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Steeler Nation!!!

Re: Bucs release Simeon Rice

Postby Kilroy » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:04 am

Assuming Rice signs elsewhere (which I think is a pretty safe assumption), it'll be interesting to hear the results of that team's physical. I know different teams give different physicals, but you gotta wonder if Tampa used a "failed physical" as an excuse to rid themselves of Simeon's salary.
Image

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 13587
Joined: 6 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Making My List and Checking It Twice...

Re: Bucs release Simeon Rice

Postby sappisgod » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:05 am

Kilroy1872 wrote:Assuming Rice signs elsewhere (which I think is a pretty safe assumption), it'll be interesting to hear the results of that team's physical. I know different teams give different physicals, but you gotta wonder if Tampa used a "failed physical" as an excuse to rid themselves of Simeon's salary.


I don't know about that. They really didn't need an excuse to rid themselves of his salary because this is the last year of his contract and we were well under the cap before we released him. Obviously, if you know he'll be ok down the line this season, why not pay the guy since any savings on him will likely be wasted cap space anyway. Releasing him as a financial move just doesn't make a ton of sense.
sappisgod
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 260
Joined: 7 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Bucs release Simeon Rice

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:44 pm

Kilroy1872 wrote:Assuming Rice signs elsewhere (which I think is a pretty safe assumption), it'll be interesting to hear the results of that team's physical. I know different teams give different physicals, but you gotta wonder if Tampa used a "failed physical" as an excuse to rid themselves of Simeon's salary.


Yeh, I definitely think they figured they weren't gonna get their $7 million worth outta him this year.

And more from today's news:


Bucs Release Rice

By ROY CUMMINGS The Tampa Tribune

Published: Jul 27, 2007


CELEBRATION - Jake Plummer never showed up at the Bucs training camp headquarters Thursday. Neither did Daunte Culpepper. Simeon Rice showed, but he didn't stick around for very long.

Less than three hours after checking in at the Celebration Hotel, Rice was cut from the Bucs roster and forced to check out in a move that stunned many and left some players visibly disturbed.

"[Derrick] Brooks was almost in tears," said Rice, who ran into the Bucs long-standing weakside linebacker in the hotel parking lot just minutes after being told of his fate.

The move came just a few hours after the Bucs set the stage for their action by signing rookie defensive end Gaines Adams, their 2007 first-round draft pick, to a six-year, $46 million contract. Adams was expected to work primarily behind Rice, who was coming off a season-ending left shoulder injury. However, Rice's departure means Adams will immediately step in as the starting right end.

"I wish Gaines all the best, but he's got some big shoes to fill," Rice said shortly after he was let go. "I'm the best that ever did it and they never gave me my props."

Rice came to camp as the NFL second-leading active sacker with 121. He recorded 69.5 of those while with the Bucs and helped lead Tampa Bay to its lone Super Bowl title in 2003.

He was, however, coming off a season ruined by a left shoulder injury that still had not healed and threatened to keep him from participating in camp drills for at least another three or four weeks.

As a result of the shoulder injury, Rice failed the team's training camp physical. He thus joined middle linebacker Shelton Quarles as veterans who have recently been released because of their inability to pass a physical.

"He could have gone on the [physically unable to perform list], but we felt now was the time to make a decision," Bucs general manager Bruce Allen said. "If you drag it on, then it would not be fair to Simeon."

Rice said the Bucs treated him unfairly in letting him go. He argued that he played hurt last year when other players would have quit and feels his determination was not rewarded. And while Allen suggested there's a chance Rice could one day return to the Bucs, Rice all but ruled that out, vowing to join another team and prove the Bucs erred in letting him go.

"I want to play for someone who will respect me," he said. "I never got my respect in Tampa - ever. They came to me today like I was a rookie. No one is going to do what I did."

The Bucs, who ranked next-to-last in the league in sacks last year, are confident Adams can do what Rice did. They also believe additions such as end Kevin Carter will aid their pass rush.

"I feel we definitely improved it over last year," Allen said of the Bucs pass rush. "Everything we've seen this offseason would demonstrate that. And some of the ideas our coaching staff has come up with should prove beneficial."

The Bucs are expected to make more use of three-linemen, four-linebacker sets this year, in part because players such as linebacker Patrick Chukwurah are adept at rushing the passer from the middle level.

The loss of a healthy Rice could be difficult to replace, however. He averaged more than 10 sacks a year during his tenure in Tampa and walked away from the team ranked 13th all-time and third in team history in that category. Despite those numbers, Rice said he was asked to accept a pay cut. When he expressed displeasure with that notion, he and his $7.25 million salary were cut from the books.

"I've got too much standing for that," said Rice, who came to the Bucs in 2001 on what was more or less a tryout basis, agreeing to play for $1 million for the season.

Rice quickly proved himself worthy of a larger deal, recording 11 sacks and two forced fumbles during the 2001 season. The result was a five-year, $41 million deal that proved to be as controversial as it was lucrative.

Rice was always a controversial figure with the Bucs. Near the end of the 2003 season he said some players were "still waiting for the rest of the confetti to come down" following their Super Bowl celebration.

He also complained about Coach Jon Gruden and argued the coaching staff had become soft.

A year later, he found out just how tough Gruden can be when he was sent home from a game in San Francisco after missing a team meeting.

A free spirit, Rice was also sent home from the 2004 Pro Bowl by NFC coach Andy Reid for missing practice and poor conduct.

Image
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13579
(Past Year: 138)
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Steeler Nation!!!

Re: Bucs release Simeon Rice

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:59 pm

Atog wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:gotta believe the Lions are on the phone with this guy right now


Fingers are crossed. He is old, but we need a pass rusher and Millen loves guys coming off of injuries. And the Marinelli-factor is huge.


From the Free Press:

NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA'S BLOG

Will Lions sign DE Rice?

July 27, 2007

Two things to watch as the Lions take the field this morning on the second day of training camp:

-- Simeon Rice. Will the Lions sign him? If Rice is healthy and doesn’t demand too much money, I would think so.

Tampa Bay released Rice on Thursday. The Buccaneers said it was because of a failed physical. Rice does have a shoulder problem and is 33, but he said it was about the money. He was scheduled to earn $7.25 million this season and refused to take a pay cut.

“We roll with the punches, dog,” Rice told the St. Petersburg Times. “You know I’ll be back, with a vengeance and better than ever.”

In Detroit?

Rice racked up 14 sacks as recently as 2005 and has 121 in his career. He knows this defense, and he knows coach Rod Marinelli, who was the Buccaneers’ defensive line coach before he became the Lions’ head coach.

Check that. He loves Marinelli.

This is a quote from Rice in last year’s Lions media guide: “When talking about Rod Marinelli, you are talking about a man, a myth a legend.” It goes on and on from there.

Even if Rice isn’t quite what he used to be, he could be a great mentor for Kalimba Edwards, who is penciled in as the starting right defensive end at the moment.
Edwards was supposed to work out with Rice in Arizona this off-season and was excited about it, but the plans fell through because of Rice’s health.

Marinelli has a history of bringing in players who have played for him before. Defensive end Dewayne White is a prime, recent example. We’ll see what Marinelli has to say today.


Image
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13579
(Past Year: 138)
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Steeler Nation!!!

Re: Bucs release Simeon Rice

Postby moochman » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:12 pm

I am sure that Rice has a huge man-crush on Rod Marinelli, but I'm betting he'll have a bigger crush on either the prospects of winning a title or getting paid. I can't imagine there is enough Millen Bucks left to pay out for that D Line. Though there D-line coach loves Rice, I mean there head coach.

How much does it suck for TB fans to see the tightwad attitude that led them from a SB to the cellar seems to remain the determining factor in Chuckie's path to termination. Hope Rice goes somewhere (not Chicago please) and fininshes his career impressively.
Image


I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16300
(Past Year: 80)
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living in the shame only a Lions fan knows

Next

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 13:42 hours
(and 36 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact