Bucs release Simeon Rice - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Bucs release Simeon Rice

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Bucs release Simeon Rice

Postby BklynsFinest » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:42 am

Just remember, Drew Brees failed the Dolphins physical last year as well!
BklynsFinest
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stomperrob » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:48 pm

Titans are interested:

Interest in Rice: The Titans are interested in veteran defensive end Simeon Rice, who was released by the Buccaneers on Thursday.

The 12th-year pro was due a $7.25 million salary this season and is coming off a shoulder injury. He finished last season on injured reserve and failed a physical with the Bucs.

"We contacted his agent and we'd like to bring him in for a physical,'' Titans General Manager Mike Reinfeldt said. "He has been an impact player for a while. … We'd like to know first-hand exactly what his condition is.''

Rice, 33, has 121 career sacks, which ranks second among active players behind Michael Strahan.

Source: http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art ... 0/SPORTS01
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby sappisgod » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:22 pm

moochman wrote:I am sure that Rice has a huge man-crush on Rod Marinelli, but I'm betting he'll have a bigger crush on either the prospects of winning a title or getting paid. I can't imagine there is enough Millen Bucks left to pay out for that D Line. Though there D-line coach loves Rice, I mean there head coach.

How much does it suck for TB fans to see the tightwad attitude that led them from a SB to the cellar seems to remain the determining factor in Chuckie's path to termination. Hope Rice goes somewhere (not Chicago please) and fininshes his career impressively.

I agree with you about Rice, if he wasn't willing to take a pay cut from 7 mil, I doubt he's going to want to sign for cheap just because he likes the coach. And hearing about the lack of wiggle room the Lions have in their CJ negotiations, I think it's doubtful they have enough to make him happy. I can see him Tennessee.

I think you're off base with your "tightwad attitude" comment. The Glazers are anything but tightwads. Now Culverhouse, he was a tightwad. The Bucs were in cap trouble from 03-06 due to McKay's large contracts. When they finally had money to spend, they made some moves (re-signing Simms, signing Garcia, Kevin Carter, Cato June, Luke Petitgout, trading for Plummer). I have to question anyone who thinks that they would make this move if Sim was healthy enough to go. He very likely wasn't re-signing with us next year anyway, so this last year of his contract was all that mattered.

Aside from that, we constantly get hammered for being "too old" on defense. Here, we cut loose a guy who's on the decline coming off an injury he still isn't over, for a 24 year old first rounder and we still get killed for it. Seems like a damned if you do/don't situation.
sappisgod
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby killiansjmd » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:45 am

Rice has visits lined up with the Giants (Strahan retirment possibility??) and the Titans.

The NFL Network reports free agent Simeon Rice will visit Giants training camp on Monday and follow up by meeting with the Titans.

The Giants have made it clear they're interested in adding Rice to replace Michael Strahan. Their best option behind Strahan is Justin Tuck, who is recovering from a Lisfranc injury. The Titans remain desperate for someone to book end Kyle Vanden Bosch after failing to address the hole all offseason
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:48 am

sappisgod wrote:
moochman wrote:I am sure that Rice has a huge man-crush on Rod Marinelli, but I'm betting he'll have a bigger crush on either the prospects of winning a title or getting paid. I can't imagine there is enough Millen Bucks left to pay out for that D Line. Though there D-line coach loves Rice, I mean there head coach.

How much does it suck for TB fans to see the tightwad attitude that led them from a SB to the cellar seems to remain the determining factor in Chuckie's path to termination. Hope Rice goes somewhere (not Chicago please) and fininshes his career impressively.

I agree with you about Rice, if he wasn't willing to take a pay cut from 7 mil, I doubt he's going to want to sign for cheap just because he likes the coach. And hearing about the lack of wiggle room the Lions have in their CJ negotiations, I think it's doubtful they have enough to make him happy. I can see him Tennessee.

I think you're off base with your "tightwad attitude" comment. The Glazers are anything but tightwads. Now Culverhouse, he was a tightwad. The Bucs were in cap trouble from 03-06 due to McKay's large contracts. When they finally had money to spend, they made some moves (re-signing Simms, signing Garcia, Kevin Carter, Cato June, Luke Petitgout, trading for Plummer). I have to question anyone who thinks that they would make this move if Sim was healthy enough to go. He very likely wasn't re-signing with us next year anyway, so this last year of his contract was all that mattered.

Aside from that, we constantly get hammered for being "too old" on defense. Here, we cut loose a guy who's on the decline coming off an injury he still isn't over, for a 24 year old first rounder and we still get killed for it. Seems like a damned if you do/don't situation.

You are probably right about me being wrong about the tightwad thing. Likely a combo of age and cash, with Chucky's hatred of star players thrown in to seal the deal. My point is that few teams can adopt a toss away your aging studs theory of team building and stay competitive. The Bucs are the proof of how quickly a team can tumble.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Flyn high again » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:44 pm

Notice, Rice was on his way to "Chicago". What do you guys think? Could the Bears use his talents on their D line? Hmm. That would be Ogunleye, Alex Brown, SIMEON RICE and Tommie Harris? Or maybe the Bears would have to rotate RICE, Brown, Mark Anderson and Ogunleye and let Harris and Darwin Walker or Dvoracek have some interior line playing time? Decisions, decisions...
Go Bears!
Flyn high again
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby beanoX3 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:17 pm

Flyn high again wrote:Notice, Rice was on his way to "Chicago". What do you guys think? Could the Bears use his talents on their D line? Hmm. That would be Ogunleye, Alex Brown, SIMEON RICE and Tommie Harris? Or maybe the Bears would have to rotate RICE, Brown, Mark Anderson and Ogunleye and let Harris and Darwin Walker or Dvoracek have some interior line playing time? Decisions, decisions...

I saw that and hoped that it meant that he merely had family here or something. :-o

The Bears are overstocked at DE right now.
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Football Talk