Is Henry really that bad? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is Henry really that bad?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Is Henry really that bad?

Postby kawaihae11 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:44 am

I noticed that the overall vibe toward Travis Henry has been pretty negative. Am I that off base to predict big things for him this year? Someone please show me where I'm wrong...

Obviously, Mike Shanahan loves to run: 2006 Rushing Attempts NFL Rank #9, Rushing Yards #8; 2005 RA #2, RY #2; 2004 RA #2, RY #4; 2003 RA #2, RY #4; 2002 RA #11, RY#5, 2001 RA #6, RY #10; 2000 RA #4, RY #2, etc. etc. etc. 2007 is the same OC and OL coach, and the OL is only replacing the right guard.

Next, Mike Shanahan gets slammed repeatedly as a fickle RBBC coach, but the past shows that when he gets HIS GUY, he runs the heck out of him. Of the 11 seasons between 1996 and 2006, 8 had one dominant RB getting over 275 carries. Over those 8 seasons, the lead back averaged 1535 yards and 13 TDs. But remember, some of these were not-as-talented guys who were terrible elsewhere (Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Droughns) The frustrating thing has been predicting who will be HIS GUY. Which led me to my next thought…

This is Shanahan’s first ever big name free agent RB signing. In other words, after watching the tape and knowing who will do well in his system, this is the only time that Denver put the bucks on the line to go out and get Shanahan HIS GUY. It’s obvious that Quentin Griffin, Tatum Bell, and Mike Bell just aren’t the one man gang studs that Shanahan likes. Henry looks like he might be.

Henry thoughts: I’ve watched him play, and he is a very talented RB. The guy had 3 solid seasons (2002, 2003, and 2006) where he averaged 4.3 YPC and 10 TDs. His bad years happened in 2004 when he broke his leg, and 2005 when he was traded to the Titans in late July, with Chris Brown already the starter. The guy runs very hard, and I can’t find any injury concerns other than his broken leg at the end of the 2004 season. He did have 43 and 28 catches in 2002 and 2003, so he’s not terrible out of the backfield, and the Broncos have been known to throw it out there.

I'm thinking that 1600+ yards and 15 TDs (plus a little receiving on top) isn't too far out of the realm of possibilities.
kawaihae11
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Is Henry really that bad?

Postby maddog60 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:39 am

Take a look around here. The vibe on Henry is anything but negative. Personally I think 1600 rushing and 15 TDs is a little of an estimate, but Henry definitely has top 10 potential this year.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Heimholder » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:52 am

Dude played half a season on a broken leg - heck yeah he's bad!
Heimholder
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby J35J » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:17 am

I've got him in my top 12....

1400 rush yds
10 rush tds
30 receptions
175 rec yds
1 rec tds
J35J
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby logan » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:49 am

this is definitely one place where you wont find negativity about henry. top ten potential is definitely there and if henry can prove he can carry the ball as the workhorse shanny will go with that and it's all the better. he's gotten a bad rap about the committee thing in the last couple years but that is mainly because he didn't have a guy who was an every down feature back.henry is that kind of guy as he is shown that in the past. 15 td's may be a slight bit too high but low double digits is a solid possibility.i think j's estimates are probably closer to the target.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby aaawall91 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:55 am

Yeah Henry is really that bad, He is a total BA! :-b
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Postby kawaihae11 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:59 am

So what is the absolute highest you would take him? I'm sitting at 1.07. Do you put him above Parker and Westy? I know he'll never make it back around in the 2nd...
kawaihae11
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby aaawall91 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:17 pm

Parker>Henry>Westy

IMO
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Postby Dhark » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:49 pm

WOW....if anything he is overhyped here. I think he has potential to do good things...even top 10. But I am hesitant to put him in the company of Westy or Parker. Besides he is a injury risk. I think he has gotten too much hype here. I would play it safe on him and take him as a 11-13 RB. He will have value here.
Dhark
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby J35J » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:42 pm

Dhark wrote:WOW....if anything he is overhyped here. I think he has potential to do good things...even top 10. But I am hesitant to put him in the company of Westy or Parker. Besides he is a injury risk. I think he has gotten too much hype here. I would play it safe on him and take him as a 11-13 RB. He will have value here.

I agree here....I said I had him top 12 but I should have been more specific as I have him at the bottom of the top 12....10th, 11th, 12th in that area. I would take Westy and Parker before Henry.
J35J
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk