Is Henry really that bad? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is Henry really that bad?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Is Henry really that bad?

Postby bobbing_headz » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:50 pm

Henry definitely has tons of potential. He's proven himself with back to back 1300+ rushing seasons in Buffalo and then a 1200 one last year. Yes he's slightly injury prone but so are a bunch of the other top 12 backs (Westy, SA, etc.). Didn't he miss most of his games for substance abuse anyways?

Coming to Denver automatically adds value to any RB. No RB in the last 5-6 years in Denver has really been bad. He's definitely first round material, obviously not ahead of guys like Westy or Parker but certainly Rudi or even Maroney because of the enormous upside.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheRawDAWG » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:18 pm

Henry that bad? He gets nothing but hype. Look at you, you are thinking of taking him at 7 ahead of guys like Parker, Westy and that tier. I like Henry but I'd take Parker Westy and DEFINATELY Rudi ahead of Henry. Rudi has been the most consistent back the last 3 years. The projected numbers for henry are what Rudi gives you gauranteed. Sure maybe Henry has a better year but he is also more injury prone, has the suspension history and has only had 1 good year in the last 3. Give me no questions Rudi over that every day of the week.

I'd put Henry in the group with Maroney and Porits. 11-13.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby RalphMouth » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:15 pm

I draft in the #8 slot and am considering him.

Westy scares me with his injury history.
Parker scares me due to just having a career year and the coaching change.

I'm still undecided -
RalphMouth
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Billsbacker » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:03 pm

Henry is not that bad - his only problem has been playing behing crap OL's for his whole career (and even then, he has done quite well). Denver is a perfect fit for Henry - an established running offense with a great D, they will be hammering the ball a lot, and Henry is the clear cut #1 RB. Henry is tough and can play hurt, so the injury issue should not be a concern. The greatest fear is that Shanny will do something stupid like go back to RBBC at some point this year. But with the potential of a Clinton Portis or Terrell Davis like year, Henry is definitely worth a roll of the dice. Besides, if you are trying to keep up with teams that have LT and the like, do you really think that Rudi Johnson can get you up to that level? NO. With Henry, you might have a chance.
Billsbacker
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Felix the Cat » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:49 pm

You also have to consider that Henry is one strike away from a long suspension for violating the substance abuse policy.
Felix the Cat
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby madaslives911 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:31 pm

Henry should fit well in Denver's running game... It's Shanny who is bad and can't be trusted! :-b
Visit My Sigs Gallery

2008 Champion - Cafeholics Anonymous
2008 Champion - No Press Allowed
madaslives911
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby terpfan » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:50 pm

Bottom end of the first round in a redraft. Lower in a keeper/dynasty. He should have a good season, but he's a bit old and Denver chruns through RBs yearly.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:55 pm

I believe Henry will be used as a feature back in Denver. The reason Shanahan has flip flopped so much the last few years is because he didn't have anyone who could be a feature back. 2004 it was mostly Droughns who emerged after Quentin Griffin couldn't handle it and then he mixed in Tatum Bell near the end of the year. 2005 it was 32 year old Mike Anderson doing the bulk of the work with Tatum Bell spelling him 1 out of every 3 series or so. Last year was just a colossal mess with the Bells.

I think Shanahan would like to use a feature back like he did with TD, Portis, Gary, and Anderson (when he was much younger) but he just hasn't had the personnel. With Henry, he has that guy that can carry the rock 20+ times a game and be effective doing it.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Dhark » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:39 am

How many of these tangibles do you need to deter you? He is a injury risk, he is a heartbeat away from suspension, he plays for a wacky coach, How many times has he finished in the top 10?????? Most books had him ranked at like 50th RB or greater last year. Now I don't like those books, but come on 50th or greater. Now why would you take him over Rudi, who is a top ten every year? He may prove to a good pick, but he is not a good value pick that high. I would take a safer pick.
Dhark
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby logan » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:09 am

Dhark wrote:How many of these tangibles do you need to deter you? He is a injury risk, he is a heartbeat away from suspension, he plays for a wacky coach, How many times has he finished in the top 10?????? Most books had him ranked at like 50th RB or greater last year. Now I don't like those books, but come on 50th or greater. Now why would you take him over Rudi, who is a top ten every year? He may prove to a good pick, but he is not a good value pick that high. I would take a safer pick.

he was ranked that low based on who he played for and his situation at that point.he certainly didn't finish 50th now did he? you can't take last year into consideration when someone has moved back into a starting role for a team that churns out top running backs year after year. i'm not advocating taking him in the first at all but you should be able to get him in the second at worst and there he makes a solid pick . you can't say just because last year he was ranked low that that carries into this year.

and as AZ said shanny only put up with the RBBC because he didn't have a guy who was a feature since portis left. TD and portis both carried the load and that's what shanny wants .
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk