Is Henry really that bad? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is Henry really that bad?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Is Henry really that bad?

Postby TheRawDAWG » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:32 am

logan wrote:
Dhark wrote:How many of these tangibles do you need to deter you? He is a injury risk, he is a heartbeat away from suspension, he plays for a wacky coach, How many times has he finished in the top 10?????? Most books had him ranked at like 50th RB or greater last year. Now I don't like those books, but come on 50th or greater. Now why would you take him over Rudi, who is a top ten every year? He may prove to a good pick, but he is not a good value pick that high. I would take a safer pick.

he was ranked that low based on who he played for and his situation at that point.he certainly didn't finish 50th now did he? you can't take last year into consideration when someone has moved back into a starting role for a team that churns out top running backs year after year. i'm not advocating taking him in the first at all but you should be able to get him in the second at worst and there he makes a solid pick . you can't say just because last year he was ranked low that that carries into this year.

and as AZ said shanny only put up with the RBBC because he didn't have a guy who was a feature since portis left. TD and portis both carried the load and that's what shanny wants .

Out of curiousity when was the last time they "Churned" out a top 10 RB? 3-4 years ago?
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby moose_ffc » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:04 am

Shhhhhh. I don't want anyone else on the Travis Henry band wagon.

He is going to be a stud
"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."
moose_ffc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 3)

Postby RalphMouth » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:16 am

Felix the Cat wrote:You also have to consider that Henry is one strike away from a long suspension for violating the substance abuse policy.

I heard on a Denver sports talk station that after the 3rd game this year, Henry's 'probation' or whatever you want to call it will be over and he won't be in the "one strike and you are out" situation.

This is the least of my worries with him.
RalphMouth
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby kawaihae11 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:03 pm

RalphMouth wrote:This is the least of my worries with him.

What are the highest of your worries with him? I haven't seen anything convincing against him yet. Seems like your from Denver, so can you shed some light from the homeland? Mike Bell concerns? RBBC talk from the insiders? OL breaking down? Anything?

The majority of negatives I've seen are statements by posters saying something like "Henry is injury prone," but what are people basing this on? I looked back at his injury history and only found a broken leg which happened a few years ago. Actually, what I've found is that he consistently plays through pain (and maybe that's what led to his drug suspension?). What's funny is that people are saying "Dont draft Henry, he's injury prone! You need someone like Westy!" (P.S. Don't get me wrong, I DO have Westy ranked higher than Henry in my PPR league, and will probably draft him at 1.07, but this "injury prone" argument against Henry doesn't make any sense).

madaslives911 wrote:Henry should fit well in Denver's running game... It's Shanny who is bad and can't be trusted! :-b

Another "negative" that I still don't get. History shows that when Shanny gets his guy, he feeds him the ball continually. And at the goalline. And those #1 backs have averaged 1535 yards and 13 TDs in 8 of the past 11 years (the other three years were a RBBC between two guys). And Henry is better skill-wise than the majority of those backs (O. Gary, Anderson, and Droughns--but not better than Portis or TD, IMHO).

RalphMouth wrote:
Felix the Cat wrote:You also have to consider that Henry is one strike away from a long suspension for violating the substance abuse policy.

I heard on a Denver sports talk station that after the 3rd game this year, Henry's 'probation' or whatever you want to call it will be over and he won't be in the "one strike and you are out" situation.

Yes, he'll be off probation after the third game of this season. But I'm not 100% sure what this means if he gets popped after that. Can't be good, thats for sure.

And, last, I don't think I'm inflating my expectations by getting caught up in the "hype" of Henry. I'm trying to look at facts alone to see if this RB will do well in this DEN system. I think of "Hype" as drafting Ronnie Brown last year at 1.05/1.06 based on nothing but speculation.

I'm not even really much of a Henry supporter, and I don't really know where I like him this year. All I'm trying to do is collect fact-based info about him.
kawaihae11
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby TheRawDAWG » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:15 pm

kawaihae11 wrote:
RalphMouth wrote:This is the least of my worries with him.

What are the highest of your worries with him? I haven't seen anything convincing against him yet. Seems like your from Denver, so can you shed some light from the homeland? Mike Bell concerns? RBBC talk from the insiders? OL breaking down? Anything?

The majority of negatives I've seen are statements by posters saying something like "Henry is injury prone," but what are people basing this on? I looked back at his injury history and only found a broken leg which happened a few years ago. Actually, what I've found is that he consistently plays through pain (and maybe that's what led to his drug suspension?). What's funny is that people are saying "Dont draft Henry, he's injury prone! You need someone like Westy!" (P.S. Don't get me wrong, I DO have Westy ranked higher than Henry in my PPR league, and will probably draft him at 1.07, but this "injury prone" argument against Henry doesn't make any sense).

madaslives911 wrote:Henry should fit well in Denver's running game... It's Shanny who is bad and can't be trusted! :-b

Another "negative" that I still don't get. History shows that when Shanny gets his guy, he feeds him the ball continually. And at the goalline. And those #1 backs have averaged 1535 yards and 13 TDs in 8 of the past 11 years (the other three years were a RBBC between two guys). And Henry is better skill-wise than the majority of those backs (O. Gary, Anderson, and Droughns--but not better than Portis or TD, IMHO).

RalphMouth wrote:

Yes, he'll be off probation after the third game of this season. But I'm not 100% sure what this means if he gets popped after that. Can't be good, thats for sure.

And, last, I don't think I'm inflating my expectations by getting caught up in the "hype" of Henry. I'm trying to look at facts alone to see if this RB will do well in this DEN system. I think of "Hype" as drafting Ronnie Brown last year at 1.05/1.06 based on nothing but speculation.

I'm not even really much of a Henry supporter, and I don't really know where I like him this year. All I'm trying to do is collect fact-based info about him.

How about he's had 1 Great year...and that was 5 YEARS AGO!!! In the last 3 years he's broken 400 yards ONCE!!!

As for being injury prone. he's the same injury prone as Westy. He is ALWAYS on the injury report.

Denver's monster rushing attack is living off of it's success of before. 8 of the last 11 years? Yeah well, the Cowboys have won 3 Super Bowls in the last 15 years. Thats not too bad until you consider they haven't won a playoff game in 11 years. What has that monster rushing attack proven in the last 3-4 years? Any top 10 backs in there?

Here's the thing, I like Henry, I really do. I just don't think he's as can't miss as the top 7 should be. And I don't think he's as good as Westy, Parker or Rudi. Would I be surprised if he beats 1 of those backs? Not at all? But wouldn't you rather have the security of a Rudi whom in my mind has a gaurantee of Henry's upside?
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby logan » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:24 am

TheRawDAWG wrote:
logan wrote:
Dhark wrote:How many of these tangibles do you need to deter you? He is a injury risk, he is a heartbeat away from suspension, he plays for a wacky coach, How many times has he finished in the top 10?????? Most books had him ranked at like 50th RB or greater last year. Now I don't like those books, but come on 50th or greater. Now why would you take him over Rudi, who is a top ten every year? He may prove to a good pick, but he is not a good value pick that high. I would take a safer pick.

he was ranked that low based on who he played for and his situation at that point.he certainly didn't finish 50th now did he? you can't take last year into consideration when someone has moved back into a starting role for a team that churns out top running backs year after year. i'm not advocating taking him in the first at all but you should be able to get him in the second at worst and there he makes a solid pick . you can't say just because last year he was ranked low that that carries into this year.

and as AZ said shanny only put up with the RBBC because he didn't have a guy who was a feature since portis left. TD and portis both carried the load and that's what shanny wants .

Out of curiousity when was the last time they "Churned" out a top 10 RB? 3-4 years ago?

how about 05 when mike anderson was in the top ten finishing 9th.(course that really depends on the scoring but in a standard 1 for 10 and 6 for td's he was there) also add to that that anderson split carries that year with bell and bell finished in the top 20 along with him. and whilst they did fall out last year bell still managed over a 1000 yards splitting time with the other bell. not scoring td's was what hurt tatum the most not the scheme,line or coaching.

again i don't think he belongs above guys like parker or westy or even in the first round but in the second as my number two i'd be more than happy to have him.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby BALCOBOMBER » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:17 am

I have Henry above Westy but after Rudy and FWP. I believe he and Westy have about the same injury prone level but I hear that Shanahan really like Henry and I believe he could have a very good year rushing the ball.
BALCOBOMBER
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby SniperShot » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:05 am

The only thing that scares me about Henry is not him, but his coach. There's pretty much a guarantee whoever is #2 RB on Denver's depth chart will get significant playing time, it's the way Denver has worked pretty much since Portis left and I see no reason why it would change this season.

Shanny loves to use his RBBC and seems to try and make a living screwing over fantasy owners.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby BigMusky » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:42 pm

SniperShot wrote:The only thing that scares me about Henry is not him, but his coach. There's pretty much a guarantee whoever is #2 RB on Denver's depth chart will get significant playing time, it's the way Denver has worked pretty much since Portis left and I see no reason why it would change this season.

Shanny loves to use his RBBC and seems to try and make a living screwing over fantasy owners.

so true....I could justify gambling on guys like tatum bell in later rounds....but no way I am wasting a #1 pick on a guy until I see Shanny stick with someone for a whole season. The object of a high round pick is to get players LEAST LIKELY to bust. Any denver running back does not fall into that category.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Decleater » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:54 pm

Okay okay, sure Shanny has been using the RBBC approach the past 3 years. True. BUT, there's been a reason for all that since Portis left. HE HAD TO! You see, he hasn't had a back that can tote the rock full time since Portis was traded. He knows that it's been a bad idea, therefore, he went out to get Henry. He could have had McGahee too, so that just shows you how he feels about TH. I know this team, so you should take heed when I say that Travis Henry will be the primary back in Denver and of course you'll see Mike Bell coming in every so often to give him a blow during the games. This is what normally happens in a 1 back system.

I see Henry having a great year in Denver actually. He wants to be the feature back, and Shanny will give him every opportunity to do just that. If he can handle the workload, which he's proven he can with lesser teams than Denver, he's going to go off! I'm predicting 1,500/13TD from him this season. So, picking him up late in the first or beginning of the second is great value to me! ;-D
Decleater
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk