3rd RB or 1st WR? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

3rd RB or 1st WR?

Moderator: Football Moderators

3rd RB or 1st WR?

Postby ChiSoxFan95 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:38 pm

I've been mocking these past weeks to get ready for my draft that's coming up soon. I've been drilling the 3-4 hole because it's been giving me the most trouble.

12 teams, 2 RB's and a flex, all TD's are 6.

Often times, I end up drafting 2 RB's the first 2 rounds, which is fine, then I get to my 3rd pick. It's around 3.3 or 3.4. And all the RB's for that value are gone. The next ones available are Brandon Jacobs, Deuce, Caddy. But the WR's are great for the value like Wayne, Fitz, Holt sometimes if I'm lucky. So basaically I have good value for WR's but not so much at RB.

My question is since my league starts 3 RB's, should I take my 3rd RB at 3.3 or 3.4 and choose Jacobs type players when they aren't value until 3.10 - 4.2 or stick with the value pick at 3.3 - 3.4 like Wayne for Fitz?

Thanks in advance.
ChiSoxFan95
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: 3rd RB or 1st WR?

Postby steelerfan513 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:39 pm

It's pretty simple: take the best player available. If there's a good enough running back there, you should take him, but if there aren't any running backs that jump out at you as good value, then take a top receiver.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby RalphMouth » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:23 pm

Am I correct that QB passing TD's are worth 6 points in your league?

If so when do you plan on grabbing one ??
RalphMouth
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby steelerfan513 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:17 pm

RalphMouth wrote:Am I correct that QB passing TD's are worth 6 points in your league?

If so when do you plan on grabbing one ??

QB shouldn't be an issue until later, especially with a flex in play. You can always grab someone like Kitna, Rivers, Romo, Hasselbeck, etc. in the 6th, 7th, or even 8th round. H**l, in one mock, I nabbed Leinart as my starter at the end of the ninth.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby ChiSoxFan95 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:54 pm

Yeah, hopefully I can get Romo / Leinart / Rivers in the 7th or 8th.

But thank you for all who replied you really helped me.
ChiSoxFan95
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Dawinner127 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:08 pm

ChiSoxFan95 wrote:Yeah, hopefully I can get Romo / Leinart / Rivers in the 7th or 8th.

But thank you for all who replied you really helped me.

You can get Leinart later than the 8th round. Also, I would go with the best player available, but since RBs are worth more than WRs, I would might even go with Caddy just because I think he's going to be above average this year and a lot of people are down on him.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby Azrael » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:59 pm

I would take a top WR there if you have 2 backs. There are a few guys like Jamal and Ahman that you will still be able to grab at the end of the 4th or early 5th that will not be that less productive than backs available in the early 3rd imo.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby bobbing_headz » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:08 am

Agree completely with Azrael. The difference between Jacobs or Deuce or even Benson and Lewis or Green is small. No way I'd take one of those guys over a Wayne, Fitz, Housh or even TO in the 3rd.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:48 am

With a flex, I think its simple, your first 4 picks should be 3 RBs, and 1 WR. However you want to do that is your call, and you should look for the best value, but you want 3 RBs you can start every week without question. If you're picking early in the 3rd, you can probably snag a pretty good #3 RB there and wait a little on WR #1, but later in the 3rd I'd look more towards that WR and grab a RB in the 4th (of course if the guy at 11th or 12th overall went something like Manning/Smith in the first 2 rounds, you might want to grab that RB now).

However with your available crop, I think a RB in that tier can fall back to you in the 4th. Getting Wayne (Wayne easily > than Fitz) would be huge. Just don't wait too long on your 4th RB though. I did a pretty much identical draft last year, and despite wanting to get my 2nd WR, I ending up getting my 4th RB in the 5th round, and it truly paid off as I had 3 guys I could start with confidence even on bye weeks, and the depth helped too when Chester Taylor got banged up.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Crippler » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:03 am

As stated by others, grab the best available player (definitely Wayne or Holt in this case) and get a RB soon after. There's no reason to reach that far for a 3rd RB just because you can start 3. You can get a similar RB a round or 2 later and still pick up a great WR with your 3rd pick.

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)