Coughlin and players trying to get along better - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Coughlin and players trying to get along better

Moderator: Football Moderators

Coughlin and players trying to get along better

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:00 pm

Coach and players weren't exactly close last year...

TOM WILL HEAR GRIPES FROM PLAYERS' COMMITTEE

By STEVE SERBY

July 22, 2007 -- In an effort aimed at fostering a better flow of communication between players and head coach and nip any and all sniping in the bud, Tom Coughlin will assemble a Leadership Council that will come to him with grievances and/or suggestions not long after the Giants open training camp in Albany.

"It'll be comprised of different people in different stages, position-wise and number of years of service," Coughlin told The Post. "And hopefully that will be a means of communication between the players and myself."

Coughlin would not divulge names, but Eli Manning, Michael Strahan, Shaun O'Hara and Antonio Pierce are certain to be members of the Leadership Council. "I think it could be anywhere from 8-to-12 [players]," Coughlin said.

Bill Parcells had Harry Carson and George Martin as lieutenants, and this is a positive step to heal a wounded locker room. Coughlin has consulted key members on previous Jaguars and Giants teams, but this is a more formalized approach to effect team unity.

"Ownership and responsibility for their team; communication so that there's no misunderstanding of the information coming down from me; and understanding that the team is what this is all about," Coughlin said. "It's not about individual and it's certainly not about pettiness ... The purpose is to help solidify us and make us one so that there is no, 'I didn't understand, I wasn't sure about this.' And then these guys will be responsible to their teammates, and their teammates would come to them, and then they would come to me if there is an issue that I need to be made aware of."

source:
http://www.nypost.com/seven/07222007/sp ... _serby.htm
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Football Talk