Do you buy into Value Based Drafting - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Do you buy into Value Based Drafting

Moderator: Football Moderators

Do you buy into Value Based Drafting

Postby RJ24VC15 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:57 pm

Anytime I look a VBD rankings, it seems certain players are ranked so much higher then their ADP, i've seen multiple WR's in the top 10 on the rankings, with one at early as 5. It doesnt seem to go along with other rankings at all.

What are your thought on VBD?
RJ24VC15
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Do you buy into Value Based Drafting

Postby dream_017 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:25 pm

RJ24VC15 wrote:Anytime I look a VBD rankings, it seems certain players are ranked so much higher then their ADP, i've seen multiple WR's in the top 10 on the rankings, with one at early as 5. It doesnt seem to go along with other rankings at all.

What are your thought on VBD?

Where have you seen those at? I create my own and at this point they are not completly finished, but I generally have 16 RB, 1 QB and 3 WR in the top 20. The first 10-13 are RBs.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby RJ24VC15 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:08 pm

Looking at footballdiehards and Dr.Stats I see a strange number of WR's in the top 10. And doing my own I have 1 in the top 10. and 3 in the top 15.
RJ24VC15
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer

Postby FF Newbie » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:32 pm

It all depends on the scoring setting and VDB baselines you use. I use the footballguys spreadsheet application and if one position looks to be favored too much, I tweak it a bit.
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby MikeBillsFan » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:26 pm

I buy into it to the extent that it makes logical sense but it is not the be all and end all of creating a cheatsheet to draft from. You need to massage it, and use some common sense and judgement.
MikeBillsFan
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bobbing_headz » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:53 pm

I'm big on VDB, but to use it effectively you can't base your entire draft on it. I mean, if you've already drafted Peyton and Bulger is your highest value you're not gonna draft him in the 4th. Or if Gates is your top guy you're not gonna take him in the 1st. VBD is merely another tool to "assist" you in your draft. Obviously you have to factor in ADP too, if you didn't, well you'd be kinda stupid. There are many times I'll abandon my VBD rankings completely, if someone falls way past their ADP, if I need to handcuff, if I have 2 RB and need a WR, or even in the later rounds of the draft taking a flier on a sleeper or rookie. The point is, if you use VBD you can't base your draft solely on it.

Now I hear a lot of people complain that VBD is flawed because you're basing your rankings on projections that will obviously be incorrect. That may be true but how is it different then just ranking people? You're "projecting" who will do better than someone else. With VBD you're merely projecting how much better you think one player will be than another. If your projections turn up rankings you think are wrong then change them, it's no big deal.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Felix the Cat » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:09 am

Heck, with Average Value Theory you're not even using wild assumptions for projections; you're on sound statistical ground, and in the end, fantasy football is a game of statistics.

That's not to say that VBD is all there is to drafting, because it doesn't take into account draft position, ADPs, and positional curves and tiers, and is incapable of "looking ahead" based on those factors. VBD will always get you the best value right now, but may not get you the best value over a multi-round window.

As far as I'm concerned, it's not a matter of "buying into" it. VBD is not a faith-based theory; it requires neither your belief nor your "buying in" to do what it is designed to do. However, you must realize that VBD alone cannot draft for you.
Felix the Cat
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Popcynical » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:46 am

bobbing_headz wrote:I'm big on VDB, but to use it effectively you can't base your entire draft on it. I mean, if you've already drafted Peyton and Bulger is your highest value you're not gonna draft him in the 4th. Or if Gates is your top guy you're not gonna take him in the 1st. VBD is merely another tool to "assist" you in your draft. Obviously you have to factor in ADP too, if you didn't, well you'd be kinda stupid. There are many times I'll abandon my VBD rankings completely, if someone falls way past their ADP, if I need to handcuff, if I have 2 RB and need a WR, or even in the later rounds of the draft taking a flier on a sleeper or rookie. The point is, if you use VBD you can't base your draft solely on it.

Now I hear a lot of people complain that VBD is flawed because you're basing your rankings on projections that will obviously be incorrect. That may be true but how is it different then just ranking people? You're "projecting" who will do better than someone else. With VBD you're merely projecting how much better you think one player will be than another. If your projections turn up rankings you think are wrong then change them, it's no big deal.

I'm pretty sure that if you use VBD, you won't be drafting Peyton Manning. Period.. ;-D
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bobbing_headz » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:24 am

Popcynical wrote:
bobbing_headz wrote:I'm big on VDB, but to use it effectively you can't base your entire draft on it. I mean, if you've already drafted Peyton and Bulger is your highest value you're not gonna draft him in the 4th. Or if Gates is your top guy you're not gonna take him in the 1st. VBD is merely another tool to "assist" you in your draft. Obviously you have to factor in ADP too, if you didn't, well you'd be kinda stupid. There are many times I'll abandon my VBD rankings completely, if someone falls way past their ADP, if I need to handcuff, if I have 2 RB and need a WR, or even in the later rounds of the draft taking a flier on a sleeper or rookie. The point is, if you use VBD you can't base your draft solely on it.

I'm pretty sure that if you use VBD, you won't be drafting Peyton Manning. Period.. ;-D

Lol

Not likely but it depends on your projections.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:39 am

Felix hit the nail on the head with the AVT. VBD and AVT give you a very sound cheat sheet, but that's all VBD ever gives you. Just because a guy is the highest value on your VBD sheet doesn't mean you take him. Drafting always requires assessing the field and figuring out how to get the guy you want as late as possible.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk