Do you buy into Value Based Drafting - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Do you buy into Value Based Drafting

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Do you buy into Value Based Drafting

Postby moochman » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:47 pm

I find VBD useful providing the players in question are in a reasonably stabel environment. It's hard to project who will prosper under changing circumstances so it skews the VBD figures too much for me. VBD is a nice tool to show you when players are dropping too low to let pass, or when you might want to take another WR instead of filling your TE position. So it's a nice accompliment to my draft planning.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby swyck » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:47 am

RJ24VC15 wrote:Anytime I look a VBD rankings, it seems certain players are ranked so much higher then their ADP, i've seen multiple WR's in the top 10 on the rankings, with one at early as 5. It doesnt seem to go along with other rankings at all.

What are your thought on VBD?

VBD rankings are generally based on a statistical formula. So if your formula spits out 4 WRs in your top 10 players, then thats what you get. Most other cheatsheets and ADP results move WRs down based on scarcity of quality RBs vs WRs, not because the top RBs will outpoint the top 10 WRs.

I'd use VBD as a guideline for player value not as a draft ranking.
swyck
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FantasyMan13 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:24 pm

VDB is the way to go ;-D
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:50 am

i guess i sort of subscribe to it, but i dont get all geeky and work out the numbers, i just take more of a "if i take this 3rd RB who's my #2 WR going to be, or if i take a WR here what RB will i get and who will i be happier with" approach
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby BigMusky » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:50 pm

I was talking to a friend about this years draft and stated I felt the key to the season was WR picks so i am not surprised lots of Wideouts are high on VBD cheatsheets. I think you would be wise to listen and not go the standard double RB pick. I think that I am going to wait on TE later this year as well since I see great depth at that position....especially considering I start 1 TE vs 3WR
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mthomas720 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:57 pm

I do buy into it, but I don't really break down all the numbers. As Dan Lambskin said, I kinda just do it in my head. I know that kickers aren't as important to draft as WRs or RBs, even though they may score nearly as many points, because all kickers have similar numbers at the end of the year. There isn't as big a difference from the 1st kicker to the 10th kicker as from the 1st RB to the 10th RB. VBD just puts the actual numbers behind that logic and quantifies it. It is a good theory though.
Props to sigmaker for the sig

"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up." - Vince Lombardi
mthomas720
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Football Talk