Need help with a problem in my league - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Commissioner's Corner

Need help with a problem in my league

Moderator: Football Moderators

Need help with a problem in my league

Postby bbalevic » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:29 pm

I am a commissioner in my first ever money league this year. Its a 12 team league $10 a person with 80 going to the winner, 30 for second place and 10 for third. This league is made of of 3 main people and their friends. I invited 3, my friend paul invited 3 and a friend in the gym Randy invited 3. Four of the guys in the league are new to fantasy football entirely.

Since the first week there has been drama and problems going on in my league. I set rules about trade vetoing in the league stating that I was going to allow "league votes" in the leagye for veto, but the only way anyone should veto is if there is collusion invloved or its a terribly lopsided trade to the extent of LT for Brandon Jacobs.

Out of 7 total trades, only 2 passed veto. The other 5 were all very good trades....some were mine and others were by people in the league that I knew from other leagues who know their stuff and I trust to be in the league. After checking the sign ins I noticed that Randy and his friends were the ones vetoing the trades. I got very upset and I contronted Randy. He is a friend and I believed him when he said he didnt veto the trades. On the other hand I know for a fact his coworkers did. I asked them to provide a reason for veto because I think they were vetoing just to veto. These guys also never get on to improve their teams. It seems they only get on when a trade is pending and to veto it.

Four guys in the league emailed me and asked me to change the veto from league votes to commish veto because these guys were vetoing for the wrong reasons. I contacted yahoo and they recommended I go to commish veto. They changed it for me. How, these guys are pitching a fit, not because its commish veto, but because I have a trade going on that is even....and if gone through, will make my team a powerhouse and tough to beat. These guys are turning into some very sore losers and training camp hasnt even started.

I confronted Randy and asked him why his idiot friends(these are 40 year old guys) were acting like this and he said because there was so much activity with trades so early on and plus they didnt want to have to explain their reasons for veto. I want these guys to stay in the league but 2 of them want to leave.

I dont know what to do now. I dont know whether to give those guys their money back and lock their teams or email yahoo and see if I can fill in people I know for their teams. I should mention one of the guys...well call him Joe.....was being a real d*ck about things. He put ALL his good players on the bench and his backups in the starting lineup. he just posted "have fun baby" on the message board so I am assuming he is quiting. Should I ask Randy to talk him into staying? He also changed his name to "hopeyouchokecomm." I took that as a big insult, and almost would rather him play so that my team can whoop his. I dont know what to do here, please give me some suggestions. Thanks
bbalevic
Water Boy
Water Boy


Posts: 52
Joined: 20 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Need help with a problem in my league

Postby dream_017 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:37 pm

So you have already drafted and there have been 7 trades and training camps are just starting 8-o

There is a commish forum, but I'm not sure what to even say about this.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 15315
(Past Year: 69)
Joined: 3 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Ford Field: Section - 132; Row - 19; Seat - 11

Re: Need help with a problem in my league

Postby bbalevic » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:55 pm

[quote="dream_017"There is a commish forum, but I'm not sure what to even say about this.[/quote]



Only reason I posted here was because I have posted in the commish area before and didnt get a response for days. In this particular forum area people usually respond within 10 min. I needed to know somewhat soon so that I could make a decision.
bbalevic
Water Boy
Water Boy


Posts: 52
Joined: 20 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Need help with a problem in my league

Postby Kilroy » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:45 pm

You can't set the veto rule as "league vote" and then just decide to change it without first consulting the entire league and the majority of them agreeing to the change. It looks doubly fishy when you do so just before you engage in a trade that will make your team a "powerhouse".

Vetoing for the sake of vetoing ain't cool, but neither is a commish changing a rule after-the-fact because he doesn't like it.

Sorry man, but your league sounds FUBAR to me.
Image

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 13587
Joined: 6 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Making My List and Checking It Twice...

Re: Need help with a problem in my league

Postby stomperrob » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:54 am

Kilroy1872 wrote:You can't set the veto rule as "league vote" and then just decide to change it without first consulting the entire league and the majority of them agreeing to the change. It looks doubly fishy when you do so just before you engage in a trade that will make your team a "powerhouse".

Vetoing for the sake of vetoing ain't cool, but neither is a commish changing a rule after-the-fact because he doesn't like it.

Sorry man, but your league sounds FUBAR to me.


I agree with all of the above - you're in a no-win situation somewhat akin to being the skipper of the Titanic!
Image
Image
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13579
(Past Year: 138)
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Steeler Nation!!!

Re: Need help with a problem in my league

Postby bobbing_headz » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:29 am

This is a tough situation. I probably would have done the same thing as you. I never allow league votes anymore. Frankly it just ruins leagues. Here's what I would do: If this is all about the trade you're putting through I'd veto that one down, just to make everyone happy. After that I'd keep the setting to commish veto. I know it may seem bad for you but it might make the other owners happy. If anybody complains about the setting change just tell them the league majority wanted it.

If someone is screwing with their lineup it's no problem to set it for them, if they do decide to quit. You can easily run his team for him.
Image
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 5602
Joined: 22 Jul 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: North of the Border

Re: Need help with a problem in my league

Postby Kilroy » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:43 am

bobbing_headz wrote:This is a tough situation. I probably would have done the same thing as you. I never allow league votes anymore. Frankly it just ruins leagues. Here's what I would do: If this is all about the trade you're putting through I'd veto that one down, just to make everyone happy. After that I'd keep the setting to commish veto. I know it may seem bad for you but it might make the other owners happy. If anybody complains about the setting change just tell them the league majority wanted it.

If someone is screwing with their lineup it's no problem to set it for them, if they do decide to quit. You can easily run his team for him.


Even if that wasn't the case? :-?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I fail to see how lying to the other owners is going to in any way improve the situation.
Image

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 13587
Joined: 6 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Making My List and Checking It Twice...

Re: Need help with a problem in my league

Postby bobbing_headz » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:29 am

Kilroy1872 wrote:
bobbing_headz wrote:This is a tough situation. I probably would have done the same thing as you. I never allow league votes anymore. Frankly it just ruins leagues. Here's what I would do: If this is all about the trade you're putting through I'd veto that one down, just to make everyone happy. After that I'd keep the setting to commish veto. I know it may seem bad for you but it might make the other owners happy. If anybody complains about the setting change just tell them the league majority wanted it.

If someone is screwing with their lineup it's no problem to set it for them, if they do decide to quit. You can easily run his team for him.


Even if that wasn't the case? :-?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I fail to see how lying to the other owners is going to in any way improve the situation.


Well he did get at least 4 owners on board and I bet most of the league would have no problem. It may be a slight "bending" of the truth but I fail to see how the rule change will end up hurting owners so it really doesn't matter. The league is in bad shape and changing the rules would improve it.
Image
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 5602
Joined: 22 Jul 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: North of the Border

Re: Need help with a problem in my league

Postby PapaPark » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:10 am

The way I have it set up in my league is like this

We have 12 teams and all trades get voted on.

In order for it to not go through it will have to have 8 or more failed votes. This almost guarantees bad trades won't make it and good trades will.

We had to factor in that because we have 3 division of 4 teams that a certain trade might get 6 "no" votes so this leaves 2 extra votes. The possible six no votes would be from the division of the trading teams. Why would I want a team in my division to strengthen?

I've also put in a note that all trades could be changed by me if I feel something was up. But - our league has been together for about 5 years and they all trust me so this being your first year you might have to let some things go if they weren't written down as rule and just remember to do it next year.

Our first several years were crazy but not it's favrs. (for you military people)
PapaPark
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1325
Joined: 11 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: 50 yard line

Re: Need help with a problem in my league

Postby Kilroy » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:02 pm

bobbing_headz wrote:
Kilroy1872 wrote:
bobbing_headz wrote:This is a tough situation. I probably would have done the same thing as you. I never allow league votes anymore. Frankly it just ruins leagues. Here's what I would do: If this is all about the trade you're putting through I'd veto that one down, just to make everyone happy. After that I'd keep the setting to commish veto. I know it may seem bad for you but it might make the other owners happy. If anybody complains about the setting change just tell them the league majority wanted it.

If someone is screwing with their lineup it's no problem to set it for them, if they do decide to quit. You can easily run his team for him.


Even if that wasn't the case? :-?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I fail to see how lying to the other owners is going to in any way improve the situation.


Well he did get at least 4 owners on board and I bet most of the league would have no problem. It may be a slight "bending" of the truth but I fail to see how the rule change will end up hurting owners so it really doesn't matter. The league is in bad shape and changing the rules would improve it.


If he wants to change it to commish veto he should just put it to a league-wide vote, and then if he gets the majority to agree at that point it wouldn't be a problem. However, if he just "bends" the truth and says he had a majority, and the other owners talk amongst themselves and figure out that he didn't, then things are even more FUBAR than before and any credibility he had as a commish is shot to h**l.

It's not a commish's job to unilaterally change rules that were agreed upon by the league because "he knows what's best" for the league.
Image

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 13587
Joined: 6 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Making My List and Checking It Twice...

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 17:53 hours
(and 36 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact