'expert' advice - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

'expert' advice

Moderator: Football Moderators

'expert' advice

Postby shmity72 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:49 pm

ok.

Last year in my money league i went like 12 and 2 on the season. had lt s jackson and chad johnson....

i lost in the first round of the playoffs.

before the season started i asked 'experts' here at the forum if they ever switched up their draft strategy for looking at the playoffs...they giggled and told me to worry about getting there instead...(bad advice)

I say: when researching your sleeper material look for players that have good matchups ie...a rb or wr playing the browns and raiders in the playoff weeks.

end of opinion.

thanks for listening to my gripe.
QB: Russell Wilson, sam bradford
RB: Marshawn Lynch, Steven Jackson, Demarco Murray, jacquizz Rodgers, mcgahee
WR: Torrey Smith, Chris Givens, DeAndre Hopkins, Anquan Boldin,
TE: Vernon Davis
DST: Patriots
K:Dan Bailey cowboys

championship here I come.
shmity72
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 52)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 'expert' advice

Postby Bravos of Steel » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:00 pm

Sure, it's just an opinion, but you're saying last year you would have benched LT, Stephen Jackson, or Chad Johnson, in favor of a Reuben Droughns or Arnaz Battle with a favorable matchup? That's ridiculous. Fantasy football is a LOT more luck than it is skill. It would be plain stupid to bench Stephen Jackson who's even playing a defense like the Bears, over Lamont Jordan, who's playing a defense like the Browns.

If you think that playing your studs against good defenses is bad advice, that's cool. I'll take my LT and Laurence Maroney anyday. Let us know how Vernand Morency and Fred Taylor works out for you at the end of this year.
Bravos of Steel
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby moochman » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:05 pm

I accept full responsibility for your failure to win in the playoffs. I am strongly recommending that you draft both LT and LJ this season as they both get a lick at the Lions D in weeks 16 and 17 respectively.

Just to recall, and so that I can assume the proper amount of blame, who were you going to draft instead of S Jax and CJ because of their easy playoff schedule?

Bottom line is that it sucked that you lost, but were you going to sit your studs in the playoffs becuase they didn't have great match-ups? Didn't think so.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby dream_017 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:08 pm

So, are you saying you would have rather missed the playoffs, but know that you would have scored the most if you had made it? ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:18 pm

For starters, Jackson had one of the best playoff runs last year of anyone in the last decade and LT was pretty darn good those weeks too. I'm not sure you could find two players that would've done you better during those weeks last year. Heck, the only guy on that list of players you gave us that let you down during the playoffs was Chad Johnson, and he's the one who had the best "playoff schedule" of the bunch. So I'm not sure where you're going w/ your example.

Playoff matchups should be used only as a tiebreaker for similarly ranked players. Using it as a main component of your draft strategy is absurd. There is, as you mentioned, the simple fact that you need to get to the playoffs first. And then there's the utter unpredictability of defenses from year to year. Someone that looks to have an easy playoff schedule may actually have one of the toughest by the time we get to that point of the next season.

If you went into last season looking at playoff matchups even at players ranked within a few spots of each other, you would've grabbed either Alexander or Portis over LT, and Rudi over Sjax.

Now, while this is a large exercise, it's a good one for learning. Why don't you take either Alexander or Portis alongside Rudi, and go back and get their fantasy points for each week of the season and plug them into your lineup after subtracting LT and Sjax's points those weeks. I'm just going to go out on a very short limb here and saying that not only would you far be worse off in the regular season, but in the playoffs as well.

Honestly I just don't get this post. Not only would one example be nowhere near a disproof of the idea that focusing on playoff matchups first and foremost is not the right idea, but your example seems to be providing the OPPOSITE of what you're arguing in that your studs with poor matchups dominated the playoffs, and the lesser guys with great matchups were duds in the playoffs. So once again, I'm not sure where you're going w/ your example. I mean seriously, this is like starting a thread where you're upset that people told you LT was going to score 18+ TDs last year when in reality he only scored 30+. It doesn't really make sense.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby shmity72 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:24 pm

Thank you.

for your cohesive rebutals. sometimes i just am still a little bitter about last years money league...let's move on. and win it all this year!
QB: Russell Wilson, sam bradford
RB: Marshawn Lynch, Steven Jackson, Demarco Murray, jacquizz Rodgers, mcgahee
WR: Torrey Smith, Chris Givens, DeAndre Hopkins, Anquan Boldin,
TE: Vernon Davis
DST: Patriots
K:Dan Bailey cowboys

championship here I come.
shmity72
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 52)

Postby Crippler » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:46 pm

shmity72 wrote:Thank you.

for your cohesive rebutals. sometimes i just am still a little bitter about last years money league...let's move on. and win it all this year!

Agreed.

This time, draft whoever you want. You have a mind an opinion...use them.

Then come back next year and blame me for telling you this.

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 17)

Postby PMoneyTKE » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:55 pm

Good luck getting any advice in the future :-t
Boobies
PMoneyTKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby aaawall91 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:11 pm

aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Postby RJ24VC15 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:26 pm

Those guys were not bad in the playoffs at all. Maybe the rest of your team sucked and that is why you lost.
RJ24VC15
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer

Next

Return to Football Talk