'expert' advice - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

'expert' advice

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 'expert' advice

Postby moochman » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:45 am

Free Bagel wrote:For starters, Jackson had one of the best playoff runs last year of anyone in the last decade and LT was pretty darn good those weeks too. I'm not sure you could find two players that would've done you better during those weeks last year. Heck, the only guy on that list of players you gave us that let you down during the playoffs was Chad Johnson, and he's the one who had the best "playoff schedule" of the bunch. So I'm not sure where you're going w/ your example.

Playoff matchups should be used only as a tiebreaker for similarly ranked players. Using it as a main component of your draft strategy is absurd. There is, as you mentioned, the simple fact that you need to get to the playoffs first. And then there's the utter unpredictability of defenses from year to year. Someone that looks to have an easy playoff schedule may actually have one of the toughest by the time we get to that point of the next season.

If you went into last season looking at playoff matchups even at players ranked within a few spots of each other, you would've grabbed either Alexander or Portis over LT, and Rudi over Sjax.

Now, while this is a large exercise, it's a good one for learning. Why don't you take either Alexander or Portis alongside Rudi, and go back and get their fantasy points for each week of the season and plug them into your lineup after subtracting LT and Sjax's points those weeks. I'm just going to go out on a very short limb here and saying that not only would you far be worse off in the regular season, but in the playoffs as well.

Honestly I just don't get this post. Not only would one example be nowhere near a disproof of the idea that focusing on playoff matchups first and foremost is not the right idea, but your example seems to be providing the OPPOSITE of what you're arguing in that your studs with poor matchups dominated the playoffs, and the lesser guys with great matchups were duds in the playoffs. So once again, I'm not sure where you're going w/ your example. I mean seriously, this is like starting a thread where you're upset that people told you LT was going to score 18+ TDs last year when in reality he only scored 30+. It doesn't really make sense.

Free B, you put way to much into your response. Dude was just venting, whining, and trying to rationalize why he wasn't responsible for not winning it all.
I do, however, have to applaud your well thought out response. Rudi of S Jax, SA over LT. Ecellent point made.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 'expert' advice

Postby Santacruzer » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:53 am

It's hard for people not to be sarcastic, and even a little belligerent, when you start off with a a post like this. I'm even having a hard time from giving a few choice words over your spoiled season being OUR fault.

If you don't like our advise, don't take it. Period.

(you could always take that guys who "Told us so about Vick" ;-7 )
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Football Talk