Most Improved - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Most Improved

Moderator: Football Moderators

Most Improved

Postby Warpigs » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:52 pm

Setting up our newspaper's weekly online sports poll question. We decided to go NFL this week. The question is: Which team will be the most improved in the NFL this season? We can have four options, and so far, the frontrunners are:

A. Patriots
B. Cardinals
C. Dolphins
D. Browns

Can you think of any other team that -- looking at the offseason -- has made enough moves to be considered a better MI candidate than any of these? If so, who and why?
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Most Improved

Postby maddog60 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:59 pm

I can think of at least 16 teams, and I'm being generous at only 16 that are more improved than the Dolphins. If anything they took a clear step back this off-season. Browns, Cardinals, and NE are all worthy of contention. I'd say SF has to be up there, having made a ton of moves to just bring in more talent and fill their numerous holes.

Right now, NE has done the most to give themselves potential to improve. Given how good they were to begin with though, I think SF or ARI will have a more noticeable improvement.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby steelerfan513 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:13 pm

Cardinals and Browns are good candidates. New England improved, but like maddog said, they were already good, so their improvement will probably be less noticable. The Dolphins definitely shouldn't be included.

I'd look at teams like the Broncos, Steelers, 49ers, Packers, and possibly Raiders, just off the top of my head.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby stomperrob » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:49 pm

How 'bout Houston - new QB & RB, drafted Amobi Okoye who'll help Mario Williams on the line, last year's def RoY DeMeco Ryans will only get better with added help at LB this year, and if that O-line can stay healthy this year, they had already started to show promise last year plus they picked up FA LT Jordan Black. Nowhere to go but up!
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Warpigs » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:02 am

Just finalized the question. If you'd like to vote, check it out here:

http://www.dailyitem.com/0200_sports
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby moochman » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:05 pm

Given those four to chose from I think the Cards will show the most improvement, though I think the changes the Pats made will lead them to the AFC championship game at the very least.
The Cards have a new coach, three studs in the skill positions, a young QB who is hellbent on proving me wrong (I didn't think he had enough arm strength and judgement) and a D that is good enough for them to outscore enough teams to be a .500 team.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Bravos of Steel » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:08 pm

An excellent New England Patriots team just restacked this year, making them the most improved.
Bravos of Steel
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby PMoneyTKE » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:31 pm

Bravos of Steel wrote:An excellent New England Patriots team just restacked this year, making them the most improved.

I disagree, the Patriots were pretty good to begin with, I think in terms of record improvement from last year to the this year the Cards and 49ers will be the most improved.
Boobies
PMoneyTKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby aaawall91 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:50 pm

Cards will be the most improved, and will be shown by the record differencial from last year to this year.

What newspaper is this website for? Like...is it a website for a real newspaper?

and if so..is it Sunbury, PA? Because it said that in the Premierguide thing on the right, but I can't seem to find it anywhere else thats reliable :-?
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby maddog60 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:22 pm

I think I settled on the Cardinals too.

NE: A lot of those players are boom or bust, and I havent heard whether Samuels will don his uniform again. He's a huge ? right now, plus given they already were one of at least the top 6 teams, they're improved, but not by as much as these other guys.

CLE: With Joe Thomas and Brady Quinn, not to mention Eric Steinbach, Lecharles Bentley getting cleared for practice when he was assumed out for the year I think they made huge strides. However, I dont think the rookies will show it too much this year, but watch out for a big improvement due to this year in 2008.

SF: They spared no expense to improve, and Darrell Jackson, Nate Celments, Michael Lewis, and Patrick Willis should all make this team quite a bit better. However, I think they will feel the loss of Norv Turner, and they were already a team that was still in the hunt near the end of last year.

ARI: I love how they get Whizenhunt and the Pitt o-line coach. I dont think this team could've prayed for a better turnover in the coaching staff. And with their 1st draft pick, they go out and get a future franchise Left Tackle to make all of their young building blocks (Leinart, Boldin, Fitzgerald) that much better. I also like the Buster Davis draft pick, but mainly I like others see the coaching changes as making the biggest difference. SF probably make the biggest leap in terms of talent, but the Cards will finally be able to use their talent to effectiveness.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk