Darwin Walker traded to Chicago - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Darwin Walker traded to Chicago

Moderator: Football Moderators

Darwin Walker traded to Chicago

Postby Kilroy » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:56 pm

From NFL.com:

Bills trade holdout DT Walker to Bears

PITTSFORD, N.Y. (July 29, 2007) -- The Buffalo Bills ended Darwin Walker's holdout by trading the disgruntled veteran defensive tackle to Chicago.

In exchange, the Bills received an undisclosed pick in next year's draft.

The deal marks the second time the seven-year veteran has been traded since March, when Buffalo acquired him in a deal that sent linebacker Takeo Spikes to Philadelphia. Walker, however, had refused to report to Buffalo until the team renegotiated the remaining two years on his contract. He was scheduled to make $1.3 million this year and $1.4 next season.

The two sides were at a deadlock in negotiations, and the Bills would have been forced to return Walker to Philadelphia if he failed to report by Aug. 5. In return, the Bills would have received a sixth-round pick from the Eagles.

Bills general manager Marv Levy was scheduled to speak to discuss the trade later in the day. Walker's agent, Albert Irby, was not immediately available.

Irby had been upset with the Bills because they were made aware Walker wanted a new contract before Buffalo completed the deal, which also sent backup quarterback Kelly Holcomb to Philadelphia.

Walker faced being fined by the Bills for missing the first three days of training camp, which opened Thursday in suburban Rochester. He also faced potential fines for missing Buffalo's three-day mandatory minicamp in June.

Walker has 26 1/2 sacks over the past five years, making him the fourth-most productive defensive tackle during that span. He's also an agile and penetrating tackle who was considered a solid fit in the Bills' defensive scheme.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Darwin Walker traded to Chicago

Postby maddog60 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:14 pm

Walker's a solid player. I'm surprised he caused such a ruckus with a hold out, but it bodes well for Chicago who cut Tank Johnson and lost Ian Scott to get Walker. Him and Tommie Harris should give them a great interior pass rush.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby beanoX3 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:37 pm

I like that Chicago is bolstering the interior of the d-line after losing Tank, but now I'm kinda worried about what the coaching staff thinks about last year's 3rd round pick, Dusty Dvoracek. A lot of people in Chicago wanted him to become the starter next to Tommie.

Anyways, I wonder how much Chicago paid Walker. :-?
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Flyn high again » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:16 pm

I don't understand why the Bears let Scott go because he showed promise but that's water under the bridge. On a side note, getting Harris back after they lost him to injury last season will make a big difference to the Bear's pass rush. You all saw how it declined substantially after he was hurt last year. Whoever ends up playing next to him will be able to take advantage of the double teams on Harris that should give them single coverage. Could be a good fit for Walker. Word is he [and other veterans] wanted to come to Chicago and play for Lovie Smith on a potential Super Bowl team.

The radio in Chicago was reporting a 5th round pick was traded for Walker. If true, the Bears have made a good deal. They get depth at an important position and may have added another piece of the Super Bowl puzzle. It'll be interesting to see if Walker or Dvoracek wins the starting spot.

The Bears D line is getting to be so solid that I listened to the sports writers debating if Ogunleye would be the one to be demoted...
Go Bears!
Flyn high again
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Football Talk