JaMarcus still not signed... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

JaMarcus still not signed...

Moderator: Football Moderators

JaMarcus still not signed...

Postby stomperrob » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:31 pm

...so Raiders have signed Cody Pickett as they needed another arm in training camp. Also concerns already about JaMarcus falling behind.

'Not much progress' in signing Russell

David White, Chronicle Staff Writer

Monday, July 30, 2007

Free-agent quarterback Cody Pickett was on the field, contract co-negotiator Mark Jackson was on the sideline and team owner Al Davis was watching from a golf cart.

Those were three big signs at training camp Sunday that the Raiders were nowhere near signing No. 1 draft pick JaMarcus Russell, who has missed the first three days of training camp with no arrival date in sight.

Though Russell isn't technically a holdout, because there is no contract in place, his absence is the longest by a top draft pick since the Raiders returned from Los Angeles 12 years ago, and they're starting to get antsy about it.

"Actually, going kind of slow right now with him at this time," coach Lane Kiffin after Sunday's single practice in Napa. "The last 24, 36 hours, not much progress has been made. We wish he was here.

"We're now getting to the point where we've had enough practices where it is going to be a disadvantage to him once he does get here because he is going to be behind."

Russell and his agents are not commenting on negotiations over a deal expected to include up to $30 million in guaranteed money. He is one of eight first-round draft picks who remains unsigned, including No. 2 pick Calvin Johnson of the Lions.

Facing a prolonged holdout, the Raiders signed Pickett on Saturday to share the split throws with third-string quarterback Jeff Otis.

Pickett spent the 2004-05 seasons with the 49ers, playing in six games and starting two. He played with the Rhein Fire during this past NFL Europa season.

Josh McCown and Andrew Walter took all the live snaps Sunday. Pickett threw to wide receivers and running backs during individual drills and played safety when McCown and Walter joined one particular drill.

Davis sighting: Davis attended his first practice of training camp Sunday, wearing a black sweat suit and white cap.

He was not made available for interviews. Last year, he attended only one practice at camp.

source: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... R9DKU1.DTL
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: JaMarcus still not signed...

Postby mystykoekaki » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:33 pm

I wouldn't want to play there either...
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:40 pm

I'd probably want to not get the starting job right now anyway. Whoever starts there is going to be a sitting duck for opposing pass rushers.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby dream_017 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:22 pm

Lets also look at the bigger issue with this....CJ2 is still unsigned, waiting for Russell to sign.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby aaawall91 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:00 pm

exactly...Russell who? Lets get CJ2 in camp!
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby stomperrob » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:04 pm

Culpepper thrown into fray
Davis says an option bonus, not money, is holding up Russell signing

By Steve Corkran
CONTRA COSTA TIMES

Article Launched: 08/02/2007 03:09:19 AM PDT

NAPA --A strapping quarterback with a strong arm and the confidence to make every throw graced the Raiders practice field Wednesday. Only this time, it was recently signed Daunte Culpepper and not prized rookie JaMarcus Russell drawing all the attention.

Culpepper received a handful of snaps in full-squad drills but didn't get much of a chance to display the wares that made him one of the NFL's top quarterbacks with the Minnesota Vikings from 1999-2005.

"You can't expect very much of a guy to come out his first day after spending two hours in a meeting room trying to catch up on an offense that other guys have been (in for) four months," Raiders coach Lane Kiffin said.

The Raiders signed Culpepper on Tuesday as the contract negotiations with Russell's agent, Eric Metz, dragged on into the fifth day of training camp. Russell, chosen No. 1 overall in April's NFL draft, missed his eight and ninth practices Wednesday.

Culpepper received a one-year, $3.2 million contract that includes a $1.6 million roster bonus. Of that, $750,000 of his base salary is guaranteed.

"Lane made the final decision, but I wanted it to happen," Raiders managing general partner Al Davis said. "I like to take chances like that. I don't know what the risk is. I don't see any real risk."

Kiffin said Sunday that the impasse with Russell is over money. Davis said Wednesday that it has to do with the team's refusal to include an option bonus as part of a contract that figures to net Russell $30 million or so guaranteed.

"It's not money," said Davis during his hour-long news conference. "That's ridiculous. It's the option bonus. (Metz and Russell) want all the money in option bonus."

That's part of the new rage among rookie contracts. An option bonus typically kicks in the second season and gets prorated over the remaining years of the player's contract. In essence, it's like a second signing bonus that is more salary-cap friendly.

However, an arbitrator's ruling -- concerning former Denver Broncos wide receiver Ashley Lelie -- that a player doesn't have to return any money from an option bonus, even if he holds out or walks away from the contract, makes it more risky for teams to go that route.

The contract of every top-10 draft pick this year who has signed includes provisions protecting the team regarding bonuses and guaranteed money.

That's what Davis wants, too.

"Our only problem with the Russell contract is they want all the money as an option bonus, and I will not do that," Davis said. "They have to be held accountable on forfeiture.

"The option bonus has to say, be it an option bonus, a regular bonus, or a roster bonus, that if he doesn't show up for training camp on time, we can get some of that money back. They have to be able to be held accountable."

Meanwhile, Culpepper is off and running in his quest to beat out incumbent Andrew Walter and offseason acquisition Josh McCown for the starting spot earmarked for Russell somewhere down the road.

"We're going to give him every chance to compete to, No. 1, make the team and, No. 2, to start," Kiffin said. "How far he takes that, we'll find out."

Culpepper practiced without a brace on the right knee he injured during the 2005 season and proclaimed himself healthy and ready to jump-start his career.

"My mind-set is to continue to work to get better to be the starter ... ," Culpepper said. "I'm ready to go now. I'm just going to continue to work and progress every day in this offense. Physically, I feel great and I'm going to continue to get better and stronger every day."

Contact Steve Corkran at mailto:scorkran@cctimes.com.

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Return to Football Talk