Am I Crazy? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Am I Crazy?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Am I Crazy?

Postby Jay6269 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:47 pm

I just can't bring myself to joining a league and drafting at the beginning of camp. Way to much risk of injury and then not being able to fill the roster spot. What do you all think? Am I just being paranoid?
Jay6269
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Am I Crazy?

Postby stomperrob » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:02 pm

Yes, it is very risky to draft now - too many question marks on a lot of teams that won't be determined until training camp and pre-season games are done with (not to mention there's always some injuries in camp). It is best to wait until everything is sorted out and everything becomes clear. I do draft a few teams early because I like the extra gamble of outguessing of my opponents as to who the starters and sleepers are. But for beginners, definitely better to wait until closer to season opener to draft.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby dream_017 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:41 pm

It obviously depends on the type of league. Best is to have a live draft as close to the season as possible. Sometimes that is not logical, like some of the cafe leagues here, they are slow draft so we need to start well before training camps in order to finish.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby dramamine » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:44 pm

redrafts should definitely go as close to season as possible, nothing ruins a season like your main guy getting hurt in a stupid preseason game.
2006 Ultimate Dynasty League Champion
2007 Ultimate Dynasty League Champion
dramamine
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby onnestabe » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:02 am

Yep, you would prefer to draft as close to opening day as possible, but I wouldn't (and don't) avoid leagues just because they draft early. The fact is, everyone in the league is drafting early, so you all face the same risk. Sure, it sucks if your guy gets injured, but when you have a 12 team league, odds are good that it won't be you having to deal with it.

Also, there is a lot of positive news that comes out in training camps and preseason as well. If you stay up on the news, you can be the guy that takes advantage of the positive stuff through sneaky WW pickups, so you would actually end up benefitting from the early draft.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Jay6269 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:40 am

Thanks All. I have been playing for years and have been inching to go. Thanks for talking me down.
Jay6269
Monday Morning Quarterback

Return to Beginner's Forum