Keeper standards - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Keeper standards

Moderator: Football Moderators

Keeper standards

Postby conan » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:49 pm

This is a terribly ignorant question. I've been in fantasy for years, but have never played in, nor been commissioner of a "keeper" league.

My league currently has 12 teams and consistent returning owners. Most are pretty die-hard and have voted towards making our league a keeper league. What are the typical rules? If you keep a player, do you forfeit a draft pick? If I make the announcement that starting next year, we will be a "Keeper" league, I'd like to research the various rules and leagues to find what suits us the best.

If you've been in a keeper league, what recommendations would you make to me as I begin?

Thanks for your help.
"That makes a baker's dozen, Bab"
conan
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Keeper standards

Postby conan » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:54 pm

Now that it's going to be a keeper league, how should the draft work this year, and next? Random Serpentine, Serpentine based on last year's finish or NFL style?
conan
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Fantasy Expert

Postby kinghill » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:44 pm

I like the keeper rules at antsports.com
I'm working on implementing them in my new keeper league this year. Maybe a few things slightly alterted but very similar.
http://www.antsports.com/info/keeper_rules.asp
kinghill
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby conan » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:22 pm

thank you. Any others?
conan
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Fantasy Expert

Postby loyallion » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:34 am

I have a proposal before our league to adopt a keeper format to begin this year. The way I'm proposing it is based on an old Compuserve league I played in years ago. Each team is allowed to keep up to seven players. Each player kept moves up three slots in the next year's draft. Example, if you keep a QB you drafted in the 9th round, he occupies your 6th round pick the following year. Therefore, all picks in the first three rounds are back in the pool each year. Your last 4th round pick is this year's 1st round pick, etc. Players picked up from the waiver wire assume the position of the player they replace.

The draft order is determined by the finish from the previous year (worst to best) with rookies assuming the last picks in the first round.

Loyallion

P.S. This is the year Detroit surprises!! :~(

This will be the year Lions fans have expected
loyallion
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Location: Completely ensconced in fantasy land waiting for the Lions to become a REAL team!!

Postby Battlecreek Dragon » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:25 am

loyallion wrote:Players picked up from the waiver wire assume the position of the player they replace.

I don't like that provision. True free agent pickups should be keepers at no more cost than a last round draft pick. On the other hand, a waiver claimed player that was drafted keeps his draft/keeper status with him for the current season on any team's roster. (Ex. Player A drafted in 9th round is a 6th round keeper next year even if you waived him and someone else picked him up. If the other guy dropped a 12th round keeper to pick up Player A, he should not get to keep him as a 12th round pick. just because the guy he dropped was a 12th round keeper.)

I definitely like the idea of rewarding savvy draft picks and free agency acquisitions with later value picks the next year and then moving them up each subsequent year.

loyallion wrote:all picks in the first three rounds are back in the pool each year

I don't like this provision either. We limit the number of times a player can be kept to 4, max. Also, once a player is kept as a 1st round pick he goes back in the pool the next year. So you can draft LJ in the first round and keep him once. The same would be true of a second round pick since in our league both 1st and 2nd round draft picks cost a 1st round pick next year. If you had good keeper picks from rounds 1 and 2 last year, you could only keep one since you only have one first round pick this year to give up. That somewhat forces a certain amount of talent back into the draft pool each year. Also, once you get past the first keeper year, the 1st round picks from the year before start going back into the pot.

These are just my opinions. Obviously, you can set your league up any way you want.
Battlecreek Dragon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby kinghill » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:34 am

loyallion wrote:Players picked up from the waiver wire assume the position of the player they replace.

How will you track each player's keeper status/number? What site will you use?

Our league is being setup in myfantasyleague.com and we are assigning a "Keeper Number" field to each player. When rosters are entered after the draft, the Commish inputs each player's keeper number as a value that equals the round they were drafted in -2. So if Tom Brady is drafted in round 6, his keeper number is 4.

So for example with your proposed setup...
Week 2 -
Drop [RB1] who was drafted in round 8.
Add [RB2] from free agency. <-- So this RB's "keeper number" would count as a #6 pick next year?

Week 4 -
Drop [RB2] who had a #6 keeper number.
Add [WR1] from free agency. <--- He would inherit the #6 keeper number?

I'm not liking that too much. I think they way we're going to set it up is any UnDrafted Player (UDP) picked up from free agency during the year will be assigned a "Keeper Number" of 10. This means if an owner decides to keep him, he'll count as a 10th round draft pick next year. If a player is picked up, then dropped, then picked up again, he still retains the #10 keeper number.

If a DRAFTED player is dropped, then picked up by another owner, he retains his original drafted keeper number. (Example, Matt Jones is drafted 14th round, gets dropped in week 3, another owner picks him up in week 8, he retains a #12 keeper number)

Same goes with traded players. They retain their keeper number.
kinghill
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby loyallion » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:11 am

How will you track each player's keeper status/number? What site will you use?

Our league is being setup in myfantasyleague.com and we are assigning a "Keeper Number" field to each player. When rosters are entered after the draft, the Commish inputs each player's keeper number as a value that equals the round they were drafted in -2. So if Tom Brady is drafted in round 6, his keeper number is 4.

So for example with your proposed setup...
Week 2 -
Drop [RB1] who was drafted in round 8.
Add [RB2] from free agency. <-- So this RB's "keeper number" would count as a #6 pick next year?

Week 4 -
Drop [RB2] who had a #6 keeper number.
Add [WR1] from free agency. <--- He would inherit the #6 keeper number?

I'm not liking that too much. I think they way we're going to set it up is any UnDrafted Player (UDP) picked up from free agency during the year will be assigned a "Keeper Number" of 10. This means if an owner decides to keep him, he'll count as a 10th round draft pick next year. If a player is picked up, then dropped, then picked up again, he still retains the #10 keeper number.

If a DRAFTED player is dropped, then picked up by another owner, he retains his original drafted keeper number. (Example, Matt Jones is drafted 14th round, gets dropped in week 3, another owner picks him up in week 8, he retains a #12 keeper number)

Same goes with traded players. They retain their keeper number.

Question 1: I plan to keep track on a spreadsheet.
Week 2 & Week 4 examples: Yes and Yes

Since we are able to keep up to seven players and each keeper consumes a draft position next year why would you want (possibly) 4 or 5 "#10 keepers." By assigning a keeper # equal to the drafted player you are able to keep multiple bargains found in free agency.

I appreciate the feedback. It has been a long time since I played in the Compuserve league and you guys have given me a couple things to think about.

This will be the year Lions fans have expected
loyallion
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Location: Completely ensconced in fantasy land waiting for the Lions to become a REAL team!!

Return to Commissioner's Corner