necessary handcuffs - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

necessary handcuffs

Moderator: Football Moderators

necessary handcuffs

Postby shawngee03 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:53 pm

which RBs if drafted high require a handcuff? should you do this w your top 2 guys no matter what, or are there certain guys that require it? a list or a link to a list would be nice. and if i need to just print teh RB thread and handcuff my top guys thats cool too
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Re: necessary handcuffs

Postby aaawall91 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:57 pm

I'm not a big fan of handcuffs, and only guy I see as a true need right now would be LJ, and seeing as I would never draft him (within reason, but he would never fall there) I don't really get the chance to try and see what it would take to get the handcuff.

And its tough deciding who to take for the Handcuff...Smith or Holmes?
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Postby bobbing_headz » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:11 pm

Right now the only ones I can think of are Portis/Betts that I would really feel I needed to take.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby PMoneyTKE » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:13 pm

I agree with Portis/Betts...I might even take Maurice Morris in case Alexander's foot is re-injured/still injured...but if thats the case I don't think Morris is going to be much of a consolation prize :-o
Boobies
PMoneyTKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby aaawall91 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:16 pm

The only thing I don't like about the Portis/Betts is the same thing I don't like about the LT/MT...the price you have to pay for the handcuff, not worth it in my eyes.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Postby PMoneyTKE » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:18 pm

aaawall91 wrote:The only thing I don't like about the Portis/Betts is the same thing I don't like about the LT/MT...the price you have to pay for the handcuff, not worth it in my eyes.

I think its more worth it for Portis/Betts considering Portis is a lot more of an injury risk than LT is...but you have a point...
Boobies
PMoneyTKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Crippler » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:43 pm

If you get Portis, Jacobs, LT, LJ or Westbrook you would be stupid not to handcuff this year.

Turner could put up HUGE numbers if LT gets hurt. LJ has 400+ reasons why he could break down this year. Westbrook has been questionable for about 20 straight weeks. Jacobs runs upright which is very dangerous for a RB.

If you dont want an early round bust to cripple your team this year, it would be smart to protect your investments.

Afterall...who do you have to give up to get RB1 insurance? Your 5th WR that will probably be benched or dropped all year anyway?

Dont say I didnt warn you!

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 17)

Postby maddog60 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:56 pm

Portis and Betts would be a nice handcuff. Foster/Williams are another combo you definitely want both of. Same goes for Norwood/Dunn.

I'd throw out Tatum Bell/Kevin Jones, Fred Taylor/MJD, ADP/Chester, Jordan/Bush, and Benson/Peterson as other big ones to look for as you can reasonably expect both guys to be the featured RB at some point during the season.

After that, you might look to injury risk on high profile players. Turner may be too expensive to handcuff on LT, but Westbrook/Hunt, Gore/Robinson(who else?), LJ/Kolby Smith, even Jackson/Leonard are combos that shouldn't hurt your depth to acquire.

I dont list Bush/Duece because its simply not worth the price of drafting both those guys. Pick your favorite if you dare to take one at the going rate, and hope your hunch pays off.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:22 pm

the way i usually look at it is, IF my starter went down, is his backup a better pickup than the other remaining running backs out there and can i afford to have a guy ride the bench "just in case", or do i want to take a chance on grabbing someone like a Morency or Chris Henry and hope i strike gold

normally i dont try to do it, in fact i'm usually the guy snatching up other people's handcuffs before they do :-b but if it's the right situation i'll grab a handcuff only if i think said handcuff can provide similar production to the starter (Turner and Betts are the only 2 that come to mind right now) and not grab 2 RBBC guys (i.e. Jones/Barber, Morency/Jackson, Tennessee, Deangelo/Deshaun)
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:50 pm

Betts and Portis is the only one that I feel that I basically have to have. Turner is a free agent after this year, so he will probably end up starting somewhere, and all the other handcuffs aren't really that great anyway. But if you have Portis, you basically have to have Betts in order to feel comfortable, which makes me want to steer away from Portis when I possibly can based on the price of the handcuff.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk