"I'll say it..." (underrated players) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

"I'll say it..." (underrated players)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: "I'll say it..." (underrated players)

Postby mystykoekaki » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:00 am

I think Alex Smith could have a decent year, especially where he is going in drafts. Healthy Vernon and if DJax can stay away fom the injury bug it could be interesting.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby biju » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:08 am

FatFoot wrote:Well, I don't know if I have the courage of my convictions here, but of all of the FF undrafted players I'm seeing, I think Grossman could be the biggest surprise. I wouldn't base that on the first game of the season, but after that, they're going to be in (I hate the fact that we can't use the term dogfight... thinking WWI bi-planes and snoopy and things, not Ron Mexico) a lot of battles, which is usually very good for QB output (though possibly seriously frightening in terms of mistakes.) I'm not going to reach for him, but if I end up loaded on RBs this year and struggling for QBs... I think I'd take him over Rivers and the like.

I'm also going to be fascinated by Brady this year... I don't remember a NE team so stacked at WR, with a QB who is shoots the ball out in any number of directions, as opposed to having "his guy." But that's on everyone's radar. I guess I'm saying I'll be surprised if Rex isn't a top 10 QB this year.

San Diego defense isn't a shocker, though no doubt the Bears and Ravens will go earlier... Atlanta WRs is a really interesting proposition, though.

I agree that too many people are viewing Rex's first full season as though he should have been playing Peyton Manning ball, but in the top 10? I can see Manning, Palmer, Brady, Bulger, McNabb, Kitna, Romo, Hasselbeck, and Young all being top 10 guys which is 9 of 10. Then you still have Leinart, Roethlisberger, Losman*, Rivers, Favre*, Cutler, and Delhomme as well. I guess I'm saying Grossman will have a tough time cracking the top 15 IMO. I think if Grossman gains consistency it will be because he isn't shooting for the moon which is why he had those crazy weeks last year meaning he'll be a very average fantasy QB.

* - For my "I'll say it" I truly believe Favre and Losman are going to be underrated this year. They are consistently rated fairly low but GB's defense is solid this year which means Favre will be slinging the ball. Losman quietly has become a very solid QB and with the emergence of Lee Evans and Marshawn Lynch in the backfield to keep defenses honest, I think he has the ability to be the guy that sneaks into the top 10.

I'm also beginning to believe in Caddy again. He burned me last year but the Bucs Strength of Schedule was 4th toughest in '06 and is 29th in '07. Add in a "real" QB to keep teams from stacking the line and I think you get his YPC up. Of course, he's still got that vulture Alstott so you have to take guys who actually score first.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Re: I'll say it...

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:07 pm

knapplc wrote:You could draft Grossman as a QB #2 and have a pleasant surprise, but you do NOT want him as your QB #1. The biggest problem with Grossman is you don’t know from game to game if you’re going to get Good Rex or Bad Rex. You could just as easily get four INTs as three TDs, and it doesn’t seem to depend on the competition he’s facing – he either does well or poorly on his own most of the time.

that pretty much sums it up
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CBMGreatOne » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:14 pm

aaawall91 wrote:I'm not going to say anything besides:

I would rather have Grossman than Romo.

Careful now, this is liable to turn into a Romo is underrated thread...

I'd much rather have Romo than Grossman, but I don't think either should go before round 9 or so. Take Campbell over either :-D

In all seriousness, I don't think people around these parts are drafting Romo to be a QB1, or at least they shouldn't be.
CBMGreatOne
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 10)

Postby mystykoekaki » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:16 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:

I'd much rather have Romo than Grossman, but I don't think either should go before round 9 or so. Take Campbell over either :-D

In all seriousness, I don't think people around these parts are drafting Romo to be a QB1, or at least they shouldn't be.

Romo is all my mocks has been solely as a backup QB. Nothing more.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ssarmstro » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:13 pm

I like grossman as a #2 QB too.
When you consider that last year was his first full season of football.
His problem is that he crumbles under pressure. Teams saw that last year and took advantage. I think he can get better and be a good matchup QB.
ssarmstro
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Stelly » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:42 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:

I'm not a big Romo guy, but if this guy is getting drafted as anywhere from the 8th or 9th QB to the 12th QB taken, in a 10 or 12 team league, that's a #1 QB.

Are you saying there are only 7 or so #1 QBs?? Who do you consider a #1 QB?
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:34 pm

Stelly wrote:
CBMGreatOne wrote:

I'm not a big Romo guy, but if this guy is getting drafted as anywhere from the 8th or 9th QB to the 12th QB taken, in a 10 or 12 team league, that's a #1 QB.

Are you saying there are only 7 or so #1 QBs?? Who do you consider a #1 QB?

Yeah, I actually don't think there are more than 8 or so definitive QB1s right now. If I had to choose 10:

QB1s:
Peyton
Palmer
Brees
Brady
Bulger
McNabb
Hasselbeck
Kitna
Rivers
Young

QB2s:
Romo
Cutler
Leinart
Eli
Losman
Campbell
Roethlisberger
Favre
Garcia
Grossman
Pennington
Schaub

To me a QB1 is a guy who I can feel pretty safe starting 80% of the time. In my drafts I often won't take a consensus QB1, instead taking 2 of the top QB2s close to each other in the draft, like Cutler/Romo or Leinart/Losman. In 2005 I drafted Carson and Delhomme in rounds 9/10 and that worked out pretty well.

Romo is definitely one of the QB2s who could vault into the QB1 category, but I wouldn't feel good drafting him as a QB1 right now. But who knows? Maybe he'll be this year's version of '05 Carson Palmer... I wouldn't count on it.
CBMGreatOne
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 10)

Postby mattb47 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:28 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:Yeah, I actually don't think there are more than 8 or so definitive QB1s right now. If I had to choose 10:

QB1s:
Peyton
Palmer
Brees
Brady
Bulger
McNabb
Hasselbeck
Kitna
Rivers
Young

QB2s:
Romo
Cutler
Leinart
Eli
Losman
Campbell
Roethlisberger
Favre
Garcia
Grossman
Pennington
Schaub

To me a QB1 is a guy who I can feel pretty safe starting 80% of the time. In my drafts I often won't take a consensus QB1, instead taking 2 of the top QB2s close to each other in the draft, like Cutler/Romo or Leinart/Losman. In 2005 I drafted Carson and Delhomme in rounds 9/10 and that worked out pretty well.

Romo is definitely one of the QB2s who could vault into the QB1 category, but I wouldn't feel good drafting him as a QB1 right now. But who knows? Maybe he'll be this year's version of '05 Carson Palmer... I wouldn't count on it.

Not sure about Young being considered a #1 QB....I certainly wouldn't want to have to depend on him on a weekly basis. Here is how I would break it down:

Confident #1 QBs:
Manning
Brees
Palmer
Bulger
Brady
McNabb
Kitna
Hass
Rivers

Questionable #1 QBs:
Leinart
Delhomme
Cutler

#2 QBs:
Pennington
Young
Romo
Roethlisberger
E. Manning
Favre
Grossman
Losman
Campbell

I wouldn't have a problem starting any of the guys in my first list on a weekly basis. The 2nd group are guys I would likely start weekly but would want to have a little bit better backup than if I had someone from the first group and the 3rd group are guys (in no particular order) that I would prefer to have as no more than a backup personally unless I was in a larger league.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby fantasizing » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:44 pm

[quote="aaawall91"]I'm not going to say anything besides:

I would rather have Grossman than Romo.[/quote]

this is one of those quotes that you bring back up on the forum
in January.........
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk