"I'll say it..." (underrated players) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

"I'll say it..." (underrated players)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: "I'll say it..." (underrated players)

Postby FatFoot » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:58 am

CBMGreatOne wrote:Yeah, I actually don't think there are more than 8 or so definitive QB1s right now. If I had to choose 10:

QB1s:
Peyton
Palmer
Brees
Brady
Bulger
McNabb
Hasselbeck
Kitna
Rivers
Young

QB2s:
Romo
Cutler
Leinart
Eli
Losman
Campbell
Roethlisberger
Favre
Garcia
Grossman
Pennington
Schaub

I agree completely, that there aren't more than a handful of real clear #1 QBs out there. In fact, I'm going to say that the first 7 from your list are in one order or another, the only clear cut #1 QBs. And then I'm going to follow up by saying that Grossman could potentially compete with all of the rest of them, depending on your league's scoring. I would not be a whole lot more uncomfortable with Grossman than with Rivers, who won't have bad performances, but who rarely has a rockstar FF game. Rivers is NOT a #1 QB. Last year, he was one of my 2 QBs, and honestly there were several weeks where I could have probably played matchups off of waivers in a smaller league, and far outperformed Rivers. Ben, Eli, Cutler, Leinart, Kitna, and Young... those DEFINE the idea of solid #2 QB, IMO.

I'm not saying that there are only 7 good QBs... I'm saying that there are 7 that I think one would count on, for FF. There are more than 7 that one would trust a real football team to. And there are more than 7 stars... some are going to surprise us. I have a feeling (not a psychic friends thing, but some obvious thoughts about what Chicago is doing a little differently this year, some tight end thoughts, etc) and a thought that all it would take is a little more patience from Grossman, and that's all it takes. He had half a season of killer football and great FF, and he had half a season of crap, and FF team killing. Exactly how much does he have to improve before he's top 10, FF? That's the threshold I'm curious about.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby FatFoot » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:59 am

fantasizing wrote:
aaawall91 wrote:I'm not going to say anything besides:

I would rather have Grossman than Romo.

this is one of those quotes that you bring back up on the forum
in January.........

You know it!
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby a4ce » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:24 am

Alex Smith with the addition of D-Jax and another year under his belt and Caddy Williams with some major additions on the line and getting more involved in the passing game.
Cash Money Brothers! - PPR
QB: Romo and Luck
RB: Shady, Spiller, Sproles, Joique, Giovani, Miller, and Le'veon (IR)
WR: AJ Green, Wayne, Bowe, Thompkins, and Gordon (IR)
TE: Witten
K: Prater
D/ST: 'Hawks
Start QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K and D/ST
a4ce
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 6)

Postby knapplc » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:06 am

FatFoot wrote:
fantasizing wrote:
aaawall91 wrote:I'm not going to say anything besides:

I would rather have Grossman than Romo.

this is one of those quotes that you bring back up on the forum
in January.........

You know it!

Yeah... because you know right now that he's wrong........... uh-huh. You've both got a 50% shot at being right. From now to January there are roughly one million different factors that will go in to who is the better QB between Grossman and Romo, and about 990,000 of them have next to nothing to do with either guy. They could get hurt in a freak accident, they could get food poisoning and have a horrible game, any one of the dozens of key players around either guy could get hurt or impaired, family issues could come up, hurricanes could destroy Texas Stadium.... the list goes on and on and on. Not all of the factors that go into making a QB good are readily apparent by watching them play.

So to say "this is one of those quotes that you bring back up on the forum in January" is one thing, and a lighthearted joke and everyone's cool with it now and we all get a good laugh, but if you actually do bring it back up in January (assuming things fall through the Plinko machine your way), that'll be pretty unimpressive.

Just a little free advice. ;-)
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby FatFoot » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:20 am

You TOTALLY misunderstood me, dude, and that's probably my fault for not explaining myself further.

By "you know it" I was implying that it's the kind of thing that would be brought up in January either because it'd be dead wrong, or because it'd be the dude's bragging rights. But either way, I'd assume that it's all in good nature. I don't have a lot of patience for anyone willing to take himself THAT seriously over FF.

I'm not a big fan of the whole prognostication thing, because there are more variables than I think I can parse... look at the White Sox this year... no one knew they'd be this bad. :) Don't read "attitude" into posts that end in smileys, because you're taking the wrong meaning. It's all cool.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:00 am

FatFoot wrote:You TOTALLY misunderstood me, dude, and that's probably my fault for not explaining myself further.

By "you know it" I was implying that it's the kind of thing that would be brought up in January either because it'd be dead wrong, or because it'd be the dude's bragging rights. But either way, I'd assume that it's all in good nature. I don't have a lot of patience for anyone willing to take himself THAT seriously over FF.

I'm not a big fan of the whole prognostication thing, because there are more variables than I think I can parse... look at the White Sox this year... no one knew they'd be this bad. :) Don't read "attitude" into posts that end in smileys, because you're taking the wrong meaning. It's all cool.

Actually, I was more replying to "fantasizing" than to you. I wasn't too clear on that I guess. Sorry for the misunderstanding, and we're cool. ;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby CBMGreatOne » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:15 am

Not sure about Young being considered a #1 QB....I certainly wouldn't want to have to depend on him on a weekly basis.

Of course, that's why before I listed them, I said that I thought there were only 8 QB1s, but if I had to pick 10, Young would make the list by a nose, based on upside. It's not that I could count on him from week to week, but I used him down the stretch last year and he was pretty good. Being that he IS that team, I think if he improves at all next year, he has a solid shot to be a QB1.

But I also feel that way about Cutler, Leinart...
CBMGreatOne
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheRawDAWG » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:53 pm

Confident #1 QBs? There can only be 5 (in no particular order):

1. Manning
2. Brady
3. Palmer
4. Bulger
5. Brees

The rest:

6. McNabb (He would be in their with the other 5 except for his injury concerns. He's only finished 1 season in the last 4. But healthy there is no disputing his skills)

7. Kitna (Sure I could see him having a monster season. But are you really that confident starting a guy that throws as many INTs as TDs, puts the ball on the carpet and takes so many hits?)

8. Hass (most overrated QB in this thread. I'd take all of the up and comers ahead of him, Cutler, Romo, Young Alex Smith, Grossman, You name it.)

9. Rivers (Could definately jump in to a for sure thing...but when has Turner ever turned a QB into a Fantasy machine?)

10. Young (he can sure run and rack up some points. But he has NO support. he'll have to do it all himself and thats alot to ask.)

11. Cutler (I like Cutler, Has the weapons and talent to succeed. Is his head game ready?)

12. Romo (Has the weapons to succeed. Needs to prove last year wasn't a fluke. Another guys that could easily jump into the top 10 as he was last 10 games of last year. Could enjd up as Billy Volek however)

13. Leinart (Not sure I trust the new coaches to throw enough. But if they do he has the talent and recs to put up monster numbers.)

14. Eli (I'd have him alot higher on my board if he still had Tiki and an Oline. I think he gets a bum rap but has put up nice TDs numbers for the last couple years. Big year for him personally.)

15. Losman (Love Losman this year. Will probably own him in most leagues. Of course as a late round pick.)

16. Favre (Diminishing skills. Could play better with 2 healthy WRs and if someone can emerge from that backfield.)

17. Grossman (Boom or Bust. Not sure what to expect. I think in order for him to succeed he needs a big year from Benson)

Those are my thoughts. And remember, don't take Hass as a for sure QB, wait and take one of the young guns. Hass is in trouble.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Stelly » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:18 pm

Alot of people are claiming how deep the QB pool is this year, but I'm not sold. Aside from the top 6-8 guys (Manning, Brady, Palmer, Bulger, Brees, McNabb, and maybe Hasselbeck and Kitna), it's a crap shoot! You're going to need to grab 2 of the lesser QBs and try and play matchups every week. Which, as we know, is a gamble.

I think the reliable QBs are very thin this year, with a maximum of 8 solid #1 QBs. The Top5 are locks, but McNabb, Hass and Kitna all have questions, in my opinion.
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby fantasizing » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:56 pm

knapplc wrote:
FatFoot wrote:You TOTALLY misunderstood me, dude, and that's probably my fault for not explaining myself further.

Actually, I was more replying to "fantasizing" than to you. I wasn't too clear on that I guess. Sorry for the misunderstanding, and we're cool. ;-D

It was just a joke man. It would be cool to bring it up in January to see if the predictions came through....thats all I was saying.
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk